• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting at 1 mile near North Texas

dfwglockguy

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2017
I have the urge to shoot out to a mile. Would like to shoot at steel. Anyone know of a range or a safe place to do that?

THX

Red River West, near Gainesville, will let you shoot to 1,000 yards. They’ve got a 1,700 yard range, but I think you’ve got to be Mil/LE to access it. I haven’t had a chance to shoot there, but I’d like to some time.

https://www.rrfwest.com/home.html

Plus 1 for TripleC.
1/2 hour south of Ft. Worth, always plenty of steel to shoot. 200 - 2000 yards.

Plus 2 for TripleC....but you're gonna need a boat to get there anytime soon. As of yesterday the range was/is shut down until at least Saturday, rain has flooded/washed out the road. Hopefully mother nature will cut us some slack soon, because my trigger finger is throbbing.

i think most of NTX is nearly underwater. I was going to try TrippleC this Friday, but will have to wait.
Thanks for the update about the range.

Yeah no kidding about the rain I'm tired of it. Been trying to get my house slab poured for a month now!

The only good thing about the rain and being stuck inside is out of boredom I bought a Lyman bore scope and realized I ain’t cleaning as well as I thought. Been cleaning now for a week straight & I’m just about done.

A bore scope will really open your eyes & the Lyman for $200 bucks is a very good deal. Was able to clearly see fire cracking, carbon and copper fouling. That fire cracking is REALLY ugly, but at 2200 rounds on 6.5 CM it’s had a good life.

Caution, disturbing images....

2C0F9158-C941-4697-AE67-CDDD0C57EDA0.jpeg

348B24D7-9B6D-4660-ADE5-4123A2910AF2.jpeg

Reactions: hambone1971
The only good thing about the rain and being stuck inside is out of boredom I bought a Lyman bore scope and realized I ain’t cleaning as well as I thought. Been cleaning now for a week straight & I’m just about done.

A bore scope will really open your eyes & the Lyman for $200 bucks is a very good deal. Was able to clearly see fire cracking, carbon and copper fouling. That fire cracking is REALLY ugly, but at 2200 rounds on 6.5 CM it’s had a good life.

Caution, disturbing images....

View attachment 6957723
View attachment 6957724
Is this the newer version of the Lyman borescope I heard they are coming out with a upgrade pixel screen

Don’t know. I got it off Amazon a few days ago, with my luck that means a new one is due out any day.
To be honest though, the one I have is surprisingly sharp & clear.

Turns out I have the new one, here’s what I found in the comment area on Amazon....

They said they left the model number the same as the gen 1. The only way to tell the difference is the old version has a fixed kickstand. It's actually just an enlarged part of the upper end of the plastic case on the backside.

The new version, which has 600X480 resolution compared to the originals' 300X240, has a kickstand that folds down flat. Haven't seen one, just going by what Lyman said. It's kinda like, " you have to pass the bill to see what's in it. I guess you have to order it and when it comes, inspect the control box and if it has a fold out kickstand it is the newer, higher resolution version.

If kickstand is moulded into the case, it's the original lower resolution version.

Triple C as of now will re-open Saturday morning at 8am. If we get significant additional rainfall, I recommend calling first, checking FB/Instagram/Twitter, your email if you’re a member, or signing up for the text messages. I put a few short vids up of what it looked like out there yesterday.

Even if it is open Saturday morning, everyone be careful! That road is going to be as soft as butter! And check the firing points really well before you set in...The fire ants have been trying to stay dry too and those covered shooting positions are the only cover out there. I've already made that mistake once and it wasn't fun.