• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting at 1200 yards and 1 mile

BryanLitz

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Here's a link to the top level write up:

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2011...ith-bryan-litz/

This testing was the final verification of the performance assessed for several of Bergers new bullets:

http://www.bergerbullets.com/

Both the 300 grain .338 and the 230 grain .30 cal bullets are new performance book-ends in their respective classes. I'm excited that these bullets are now available and look forward to hearing about everyone's experiences with them.

-Bryan

Re: Shooting at 1200 yards and 1 mile

thanks for the write up, and posting it over here. just got my replacement gen 2, 300 grainers. looking forward to running them at 3k fps.

those 230's make me want to build another .30 cal!

also, if you can't range a mile you need a new rangefinder. think vectronix:)

thanks again

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">also, if you can't range a mile you need a new rangefinder. think vectronix:)</div></div>

Oh I've been *thinking* vectronix for a while. May be time to pull the trigger on that one!

Let us know how your Gen 2's work.

-Bryan

Thanks for the article Bryan. I have a few hundred of the 300 Gen 2's down range now. Shot a lot of them a week or so ago at the Defensive Edge advanced class. Shawn and I even sent some subsonic out past 2300 yd. I was very pleased with how they are shooting. We sent many at targets 1400, 1500, 1700, 2000 and with great results.

+1 one on you need a real RF. Ranging a 1 moa rock at a mile or even past 2000 is not a problem for my PLRF10. And with the small beam divergence you can pretty much forget all that stuff about inaccurate readings.

Jeff

The 230 grain 30 cal bullet is interesting to me. My Surgeon Scalpel is a Krieger 1 in 10 twist. Will these bullets perform well in that twist rate?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 230 grain 30 cal bullet is interesting to me. My Surgeon Scalpel is a Krieger 1 in 10 twist. Will these bullets perform well in that twist rate?
</div></div>

Yes. This bullet is recommended for a 1:10".

Don't overlook those Ziess RF binos. Not quite as good a laser as the PLRF but in a much nicer package. Besides, I know where you could get a pair worth the money
wink.gif
Nice TRG in the pic btw!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goose375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bryan, quick question.. With the gyroscopic spin "straighten out" a bullet that has some runout? or do the lands and groves dig in and create a new off center axis? </div></div>

If the bullet has axis misalignment in the chamber prior to firing, that may or may not result in more or less axis misalignment when the bullet is going down the barrel. Due to the high pressure and dynamics of ignition, the bullet doesn't necessarily engrave with the same run-out it has in the cartridge.

Then when the bullet leaves the barrel, it will adjust to spin around it's true axis, and this is where the dispersion is introduced (going from the barrel to the air).

-Bryan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 one on you need a real RF. Ranging a 1 moa rock at a mile or even past 2000 is not a problem for my PLRF10. And with the small beam divergence you can pretty much forget all that stuff about inaccurate readings.

Jeff </div></div>

Jeff,

How/where can someone get their hands on a PLRF? I can find all kinds of literature on them but can't find any dealers.

-Bryan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bryan Litz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 one on you need a real RF. Ranging a 1 moa rock at a mile or even past 2000 is not a problem for my PLRF10. And with the small beam divergence you can pretty much forget all that stuff about inaccurate readings.

Jeff </div></div>

Jeff,

How/where can someone get their hands on a PLRF? I can find all kinds of literature on them but can't find any dealers.

-Bryan </div></div>

Bryan, as far as I know PRG still has the best price on them.

http://www.potomacrivergroup.com/contactus.html

Jeff

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bryan Litz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 230 grain 30 cal bullet is interesting to me. My Surgeon Scalpel is a Krieger 1 in 10 twist. Will these bullets perform well in that twist rate?
</div></div>

Yes. This bullet is recommended for a 1:10".

</div></div>

I'll give a try as soon as I can find some. Got any suggestions on who to order from?

Bryan,

Do you know if a chamber cut with an A191 reamer will get full benefit of the 230's potential? If not what chamber reamer do you recommend?

John

shoot4fun,
They're currently available to order from the Berger store:
http://buybergerbullets.com/tacticalbullets.aspx
and will be available thru other dealers soon.

John,
I'm not familiar with the A191 reamer. In general, the best chamber/throat for a bullet/cartridge is the one that puts the bearing surface-boat tail junction at the base of the case neck with the bullet seated to touch the riflings. This often results in a COAL that's too long to feed in magazines so a compromise is usually struck. You want to avoid too much bullet down in the cartridge because it takes up room that should be used for powder.

-Bryan

Bryan, I see two 300gr .338 bullets. What part number is the new bullet? Want to get the right ones.

Greentimber,

The 300 grn hybrids come in a 50ct or a 250ct box. Maybe that's why two part numbers. Check again and see if that's what were looking at.

I will be shooting the gen 2s in my 32" 338 norma next week. Im only at 330 ft ASL but should still be sonic to about 1975. I will shoot them at 2000 and 2500 just to see what happens. The plrf10 will need to be borrowed from my shooting partner. I will see how my rifle does next to the 408 cheytac

Chase

Chase and shot4fun,

Looking forward to your reports. It's difficult to test these bullets thru transonic because they stay supersonic so long, but I'm very curious to see how stability holds up near sea level.

Jeff,

Thanks for the reference to the PLRF supplier (PRG). My PLRF-15 is on order. It's pretty clear that the tools required to shoot effectively beyond 1000 yards are exponentially more expensive than under 1000 yards.

Speaking of that, the vertical adjustment available in conventional scopes is becoming a limitation. Even if you have a 45 MOA rail, and 100 MOA of internal adjustment, you still may need more and there are very few options that I'm aware of. Shawn Carlock over on LRH says he's working on an adjustable rail. Will be interesting to see what he comes up with.

-Bryan

I just received a box of the Gen II's, but I'm having some difficulty getting a load under 1 MOA. The ogive seems to put the bearing surface very far from the rifling, even loaded out to the 3.725" magazine length of the ASW 338. I'll try some loaded to an .005 or .010 jump and see what that does for me this week.

I do get very good velocity, 93gr of Retumbo is about max and 92gr runs 2850fps. An OCW test shows 92.3 as a sweet spot for elevation, less than .5 MOA vertical dispersion but I'm getting some L-R shots that blow the group out to 1.3 MOA.

Any ideas?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CoryT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> An OCW test shows 92.3 as a sweet spot for elevation, less than .5 MOA vertical dispersion but I'm getting some L-R shots that blow the group out to 1.3 MOA.

Any ideas? </div></div>

What diatance?

sounds like an undetectable wind up in the arc to me. Unless we are talking 100` 200 yrds. But for grinns have you got any H-1000?

Jeff

I test at 500, early AM pretty much dead calm. My normal 250 Scenar load put them into 1.5". Even the 100 yard groups are over an inch, close to 1.4. Retumbo is all I 've got that's suitable.

I'm also going to run some through a DTA SRS and see how that does with them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bryan Litz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Speaking of that, the vertical adjustment available in conventional scopes is becoming a limitation. Even if you have a 45 MOA rail, and 100 MOA of internal adjustment, you still may need more and there are very few options that I'm aware of.
-Bryan </div></div>

That is a real issue - once you get to a certain point, the gun is useless for shooting at "normal" distances under 1000yds.

Hmmm, define 'useless'. Let's suppose you seup the gun for max range, and to do so you require 25 mils of travel. You therfore select a 500 yard zero range, and slope the rail to leave you only .5 mil of down. You cannot dial a 100 yard zero on the gun, but it's a simple matter to hold down 1.4 mil, is it not? Even supposing a 1000 yard zero range, if it takes less than 5 mils up to get there you still can hold for 100. I'm not sure what you'd be shooting that a 1000 yard zero would be required to then use 25 mils of travel, but I doubt it would take that load more than 5 mils to get to 1K.

Using a PBZ of 400 to 600 should make torso shots a done deal with little to no hold required. It sort of depends on the degree of precision you are looking for. which is why I say, define useless.

An external adjustment system has been used by any number of people to deal with the issue, although that creates it's own set of challenges.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CoryT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmmm, define 'useless'. Let's suppose you seup the gun for max range, and to do so you require 25 mils of travel. You therfore select a 500 yard zero range, and slope the rail to leave you only .5 mil of down. You cannot dial a 100 yard zero on the gun, but it's a simple matter to hold down 1.4 mil, is it not? Even supposing a 1000 yard zero range, if it takes less than 5 mils up to get there you still can hold for 100. I'm not sure what you'd be shooting that a 1000 yard zero would be required to then use 25 mils of travel, but I doubt it would take that load more than 5 mils to get to 1K.

Using a PBZ of 400 to 600 should make torso shots a done deal with little to no hold required. It sort of depends on the degree of precision you are looking for. which is why I say, define useless.

An external adjustment system has been used by any number of people to deal with the issue, although that creates it's own set of challenges. </div></div>

Given the context here, I was thinking something like this:

In order to reach 2500yds with, say, a 50 BMG, you need something like 100-130MOA depending. If your scope has 100MOA of internal, there is a pretty good chance that you will not be able to continuously dial a zero hold from 200yds to 2500yds.

Even if you got all of the machining of action, rail, and rings exactly correct to make the absolute most of your adjustments, it still won't work.

Let's say for sake of argument that everybody did their job and you can use exactly 50MOA of adjustment. Then, you put a 40MOA rail on there and you now can use 90MOA exactly. That still leaves you with the need to hold 10-40MOA on either the top end or the bottom end.

Can it be done? Rudimentarily. Are most optics/reticles set up for that? No. Is that what one would ultimately prefer? I hope not.

Even in your scenario, having to hold additionally is one more annoying thing to remember. I guess that's OK as long as we are strictly talking about fooling around ("oops, I forgot that this rifle needs a 10MOA under-hold for 700yds, my bad, here comes the correction"). I prefer to be able to center-hold on the closest targets, as those are statistically the most common ranges that I (personally) will be shooting at. So, I end up having to hold over on the very distant targets. That is still not ideal.

Setting a gun up specifically to shoot 1000-2500yds requires arranging matters so that the zero hold is available at the longer ranges. Depending on exact configuration (and I've outlined the "ideal"), that can seriously handicap the gun at 1000 and in.

The gun is never "useless" as long as it retains its blunt-weapon nature or its appearance as a liberal's deepest nightmare....right? So, a semantic discussion would be.......useless.

And I never said anything about external adjustments....but yes, they would be more problematic then getting a special optic built for this.

Is shooting at 700 most of the time a reason to setup a system to shoot at 2500?

Remember the near end of the trajectory will require the least hold and the target will be larger.

Looking at my .338, if I zero at 465y, I can hold center of a 24" target from muzzle to 550. For precision, I need only hold 1.8 down at 100. To me, holding is as easy as dialing, if you forgot to hold you forgot to dial.

I can actually set zero as far out as 800 and still only need 4.4 mils of hold to 100, same with my .50. A 1000y zero would require 6 mil at 100 and 5 at 350. Just what I might need to shoot with a .50 at 100 yardshat requires a more precise placement than 3.5" from center is unknown to me.

I do see the point, if I want to dial a precision setting from 100 to 3000 I need more elevation available. That will require a larger tube or external adjustments. Since that is an infantesimal market, I don't see many scope mfg's rushing to fill it. The problem is simple to solve with existing tools, I just doubt the problem actually comes up that often.

I like to hold during rapid strings myself, but for precision work, like you say, it helps to hold center with a decent field of view and solid reference.

Before we had repeatable scopes with 100MOA available (140 in the case of the Leupold M1's), shooting over 1000 was "pushing the limit", and only a few people did it. All of the ammunition and manufacturing technology has pushed that barrier back quite a bit. I don't think that 2000 is the "next 1000" barrier, logarithmic difficulties being what they are, but that door is being knocked on a lot more.

I would not quote odds either way at a scope manufacturer making something that will adjust to ELR ranges at all, especially given the military uses of rounds like the .338, etc..

We've gotten to 2000 with surprisingly repeatable results with a 300WM shooting 208's, using a Vortex Razor (36 mil elevation)on a 40 moa rail with a 100 yd. zero. Using holdovers, we were able to stretch out to 2300. We were shooting at rocks that day, but the rounds were still clumping very nicely, and even with that much elevation dialed in and shooting out of the bottom of the scope using holdovers, the target was still quite visible and misses were easy to track.

Bryan's numbers for the 208 plugged into JBM had us within about .5 mil of the target on the first shot.

3K or even 2500 is going to be tough without more rail or scope and perhaps a bigger round.
wink.gif

Itching to try some of those 230's Bryan, when my sons 30" 300WM gets finished.

John

I think I have the answer for those of you who want HUGE adjustment changes for long distance shooting. If you don't like the rings, then they have a ramp that does the same thing. It does cost a lot ($525.00) but the adjustment is there.
grin.gif

I'm thinking the 10-42 US Optics SN-9 with its 120MOA of elevation might come in handy for this particular discussion...

I admit that I tend to hold off and shoot for anything that needs a quick shot or adjustment.

JeffVN

Bryan,

I'm missing something here with your math on the "Form Factor" article.

You have sectional density for the 7mm 175 Hybrid as .310 yet the formula you give for finding that is weight (converted to the pound) divided by diameter. Which, comes out to about .088~something. Can you enlighten me on what I'm missing?

A list of what I shoot is:

168 Sierra SMK
168 Berger
168 JLK

170 Lapua (nowhere close for super long range)

175 Sierra SMK
175 Berger Hybrid

180 Berger
180 JLK.

<span style="color: #3333FF">Edit:

Nevermind, I found it. You <span style="text-decoration: underline">square</span> the diameter of the bullet. You might want to add that to your article.
wink.gif
</span>