• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting bag filler

old paul

Private
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2010
Northern Ohio
I just got a couple of Caldwell bags and don't want to use sand. Any ideas as to a GOOD lightweight substance I can use.
Thanks
Paul

Re: Shooting bag filler

Sawdust or Polyfill.
bevfabriccrafts_2109_753612638.jpg

The "Color-fill" stuff works good and you can find it at most craft stores.

I use corncob tumbler media in my lightweight bags. Super cheap and if you're a handloader you probably already have it on hand.

I tried the lightweight poly balls, and didn't like the results as the bag felt too "soft".

A friend bought some shredded rubber and that works very well. If you use the stuff made from recycled auto tyres, be sure they remove the steel wire before its shredded.

Not be able able to get shredded rubber, I used plastic chips. I actually bought a bucket full of the red raw plugs on a car boot sale and then run them through a bark chipper.

The resulting plastic chips work very well. They are not as light as the polyballs, but they pack down well inside the bag and provide a firmer support...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In a hurry use rice...if anything you'll have something to eat.
wink.gif
</div></div>

Good idea ! Now when you're ready to snack do you cook it in the bag or out
laugh.gif