• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Gear Shooting ball head

Kentucreed6

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2018

Anybody used one of these? Looks good and not badly priced. They also have an integrated tripod model that is slightly smaller.

I got one of these last week.

Can't say how it compares to the Anvil-30 because I've never seen one in person.
As infrequently as I will use it (probably a handful of times a year) it seems to be made well enough.

I like the one you posted better, but it wouldn't fit my tripod. To my mind the lever latch would be easier to get use. easier to get to. You'd have options of where you position it. The other type it's either full front or back, you're reaching around the front of it or across it oddly in back.

Last edited:
Everyone has to start some where in this sport. In the day, cross -decking photography tripod-mounts and their permutations were the go-to solutions for tripod shooting. Manfrotto Italiam aluminum tripods (hijacked from photography professional use) and their model 320 RC pistol grip variants (ball head w/without pistol grip controls) seemed to be the big dawg. They were adequate to support AR-10 platforms. HOG saddle Model -7 variant (with their mechanical liabilities) was then offered as an alternative to ball heads. Really Right Stuff transferred their photography tripod / camera mounts into the precision rifle space and in my opinion with combination carbon fiber tripods and Anvil-30 series firearm mounting units are the present day bench mark for a stable shooting platform. A short anthology of some of my Manfrotto's and RRS mounts. I mostly use my Manfrotto for bench top work.
DSCN2267 copy.JPG
DSCN2879 copy.JPG
DSCN2902 copy.JPG
DSCN2904 copy.JPG
DSCN3124 copy.JPG
IMG_0182KAC SR-25 WITH SUPPRESSOR BLACK SCOPE & SLING RMR MOUNTED POOLSIDE 07.30.21 ANNOTATED ...jpg
IMG_3260 copy.JPG
IMG_3280 copy.JPG
IMG_5134 copy.jpg
IMG_5139 copy.jpg

That looks cool and all, but, you do realize that using the column extension instead of using the legs is the WORSE stability option?

That looks cool and all, but, you do realize that using the column extension instead of using the legs is the WORSE stability option?
The one I posted goes into a 70mm hole not on a stem. It should be about as stable as you could get. Should be every bit as good as the anvil for a considerable bit less money

• Haha
Reactions: NewsShooter
Here’s there link for the integral tripod. Not as tall as some may want for spotting at matches but would be a good light weight hunting rig.

Yes. But extending the column makes for a better photograph.

Reactions: tba
Speaking of center columns, I modified a carbon fiber Swarovski tripod column mount for the purpose of preventing rotation, i.e. unscrewing from the mount when using the RRS in panning mode as well as recoil-induced backing off the mount stud. Milled a space to accept fabricated metric stop screw, re-finished the milled surface with Aluma-black. Tripods are great to sight-in pistols.

IMG_8607RRS Anvil-30 Adapter 2 Ball End Milled with Indexing Bolt to Swarovski Tripod Center C...jpg
IMG_8608RRS Anvil-30 Adapter 2 Ball End Milled with Indexing Bolt to Swarovski Tripod Center C...jpg
IMG_8603RRS Anvil-30 Adapter 2 Ball End Milled with Indexing Bolt to Swarovski Tripod Center C...jpg
IMG_8616RRS Anvil-30 Adapter 2 Ball End Milled Aluminum Black Applied 03.20.21 copy.jpg
IMG_8623Walther PDP 2nd Range Seesion Variety Ammo RRS Anvil-30 Adapter 2  03.20.21 copy.jpg

Nothing compares to the Anvil-30. When you run one you’ll understand.
I'm sure you're right. I wish RRS had more control of their production capacity or I wouldve went with one. Being a nearly exact clone, without the need for strange adapters, and a third the cost, I'm hoping it's "good enough". Fortunately, prime has free returns if they are shit.

A few guys must be willing to try them out. The 70mm version sold out on Amazon today.

Just put the IB-30 on order. I'll report how it goes
So far it seems very nice for the price. Locks up very solid. Got it for military use as I hate saddles and everything has picatiny. The only things that feel somewhat cheap are the arca clamp lever and the paint job. I was very surprised with how small and light it is. It also has less range of motion that I expected. Not too much more range than a leveling head. I think I'm going to keep it. If you can put a RRS claiming lever on it, it would be pretty top notch for the money. Still no anvil, obviously. Hope this helps.
20220205_132819.jpg
20220205_132859.jpg

Reactions: Eric_F and buggz
I wouldnt run amazon branded ball heads.. even this sunway foto deal.

I rented photo booths as a business, and ran some of the cheaper chinese ball heads.

The stuff rated even for 20 lbs, usually wouldnt stand to hold up an ipad and an aluminum enclosure for fixed periods of time, for longer than a few months.

Manfrotto, even the cheapest model, will outperform any of the china stuff you can find on amazon.

The IB-40 just came back in stock on Amazon. I plan on getting one and should have a chance to compare it to an anvil. I know it won't be the same, but it could serve as a budget option for those that can't afford/justify rhe RRS setup.

The IB-40 just came back in stock on Amazon. I plan on getting one and should have a chance to compare it to an anvil. I know it won't be the same, but it could serve as a budget option for those that can't afford/justify rhe RRS setup.
Would love to hear your thoughts between the two. Been looking at an Anvil head but they’re not even available for backorder at the moment.

Would love to hear your thoughts between the two. Been looking at an Anvil head but they’re not even available for backorder at the moment.

Well... Turns out the IB-40 doesn't fit my tripod (Innorel RT90C) which I thought had a 75mm bowl (turns out it's 85mm), so it's getting returned. I really like the design and it did feel like a quality ball head. I also ordered the IB-30 (anvil style) that should be here this week, hoping I can get to the range and test the IB-30 out this weekend.

Reactions: Tyler.I
Finally got the IB-30 (anvil style) ball head, it is a quality ball head. Fit and finish is impressive, the ball head is smooth, and IT locks up solid. I'm hoping to test it in the field this weekend.

Last edited:
Reactions: mindekei
Finally got the IB-30 (anvil style) ball head, it is a quality ball head. Fit and finish is impressive, the ball head is smooth, and IT locks up solid. I'm hoping to test it in the field this weekend.
Get to do any testing? Thinking this could be a great option for a poor mans anvil.

Get to do any testing? Thinking this could be a great option for a poor mans anvil.
I know it wasn’t directed to me, but I ordered my IB-30 and used it to shoot out to 540 yards this Sunday. I learned that it’s plenty for my 13lb rifle and that my wife is a freaking beast when it comes to shooting off the thing! All in all it was money well spent, but i bet I won’t use it more than 5-6 times a year..

I did, it is a rock solid platform to shoot off. It locks up tight when you clamp the lever down, it is smooth with tension when you need to transition from target to target, and it's easy to use (same design as RRS Anvil). It is money well spent.

I have it mounted on an Innorel RT90C tripod and the complete setup is as solid as can be.

Reactions: atomic41
I did, it is a rock solid platform to shoot off. It locks up tight when you clamp the lever down, it is smooth with tension when you need to transition from target to target, and it's easy to use (same design as RRS Anvil). It is money well spent.

I have it mounted on an Innorel RT90C tripod and the complete setup is as solid as can be.
Good deal. I have one on the way. Excited to test it against my ball heads

The one I posted goes into a 70mm hole not on a stem. It should be about as stable as you could get. Should be every bit as good as the anvil for a considerable bit less money
People of the world…This is not true

Wow, the Chinese sure knocked the crap off the Anvil-30 without even a blush.

This is no joke. I got mine delivered the other day. It is almost identical to the anvil. Can’t say it runs as smooth as the anvil since i have only played with the anvil a little bit. The knock off locks up tight though and tensions pretty well. Held my 20 lb gun just fine.

Reactions: Baron23
I bought this one IB-40 Ballhead and got it delivered around 3 weeks ago, mounted it on my inverted leg Leofoto, this one. Super stable. So much so, I just sold my RRS TVC-34L with Anvil 30 on it to a buddy and got lots of cash for my next rifle build.

Tested it in one local club match, the inverted tripod was faster to deploy than my RRS, and the Sunway ballhead was as stable as the anvil.

Resurrection time. I know the ib 30 is IP theft, but can anyone tell me if the 40 is an original design?

My pergear on a slik tripod has held up ok for binos, but I'm looking at upgrading my tripod setup without dropping $1200. Looking at two vets or field optics research, and a decent ball head with quick adjustments.

Since I have used both Sunway Photo & RRS - I can offer some concrete pros/cons.

IMO - RRS is better. Why - the quality of the Sunway is lower.
- to get the movement of the ball to work well it comes packed with grease (on the ones I had). They do this because the machining is subpar of the two mating surfaces, and they want it to feel smooth.
- the internal part that connects the ball and socket in the Sunway head I was using broke as well.

I have used an Anvil 30 for years. Because of the reversed ball socket arrangement it self cleans.
- it doesn't require grease to make it smooth, it is just machined well.
- the RRS mechanism (lever) stays in place with varying amounts of tension

There really is something to be said for paying for better quality. The Sunway is less expensive, and there is a reason why they are less expensive. However, that doesn't mean you can't make them work for what you want to use them for, just don't fool yourself into thinking your getting RRS Anvil-30 for a significant discount.

Resurrection time. I know the ib 30 is IP theft, but can anyone tell me if the 40 is an original design?

My pergear on a slik tripod has held up ok for binos, but I'm looking at upgrading my tripod setup without dropping $1200. Looking at two vets or field optics research, and a decent ball head with quick adjustments.

If you want to save money, buy less expensive legs and buy the Anvil-30. Your main cost in a RRS setup is the legs, and nobody makes a better head for shooters IMO than the Anvil-30.

Reactions: ID_Matt and todd
Since I have used both Sunway Photo & RRS - I can offer some concrete pros/cons.

IMO - RRS is better. Why - the quality of the Sunway is lower.
- to get the movement of the ball to work well it comes packed with grease (on the ones I had). They do this because the machining is subpar of the two mating surfaces, and they want it to feel smooth.
- the internal part that connects the ball and socket in the Sunway head I was using broke as well.

I have used an Anvil 30 for years. Because of the reversed ball socket arrangement it self cleans.
- it doesn't require grease to make it smooth, it is just machined well.
- the RRS mechanism (lever) stays in place with varying amounts of tension

There really is something to be said for paying for better quality. The Sunway is less expensive, and there is a reason why they are less expensive. However, that doesn't mean you can't make them work for what you want to use them for, just don't fool yourself into thinking your getting RRS Anvil-30 for a significant discount.
I agree with this. I have owned the RRS, Leofoto copy - MA-30L, and the sunway. In my opinion you get what you pay for. The sunway is far cheaper in cost and quality. It works, but it is not nearly as smooth or as easily adjustable. As above mentioned, it needs greased and cleaned regularly. Little bit of dust and it gets real sticky. The leofoto is a big step up from the sunway and closer to the RRS but just not quite as refined.

Like a lot of you, I'm a recreational shooter and no longer compete and haven't for years. I also like to get workable functionality so it can be used for more than one purpose. As an example I have a bike repair stand that I also use for work on my compound bows. On the current topic of tripods and ball heads, it would be nice to be usable for shooting or photography. In that light I've been looking at the Leofoto SO-322C tripod and the Sunwayfoto IB-65 ball head. The only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on both yet is because of posted info on both sites that don't make it clear they will work together. The tripod lists it comes with a 75mm plate and bowl and the ball head says it has 75mm bowl adapter but lists 70mm as the base diameter.

So my question is, has anyone used these two pieces together? Also, if it is not a direct fit can you explain how you were able to make them work together.

P.S. - I'm still waiting for a response from Sunwayfoto about this.

Update: I got a response back from Sunwayfoto. They sent me a drawing which had the same 70mm base diameter and indicated that the website info was being updated. They would not/did not say it would work in tripod with 75mm base.

Last edited:
Most of the ball head use a standard bolt for the bottom, so are interchangable with legs. The area you run into issues is leveling bases which need to go below the apex. In these cases, the bowl would need to fit in the apex which will likely have a removable plate.

Now, I haven't investigated your specific leg set or head, so I don't know the specifics of those exact models, but generally speaking a conventional ball head from most makers will fit the legs sets of most other makers.

Well after reading through this thread a few times I saw that @Chappies bought the IB-40 which is the smaller version of the IB-65 and it worked with the Leofoto inverted leg tripod.

IB-65-_-1_400x[1].jpg

As it turns out it and the Leofoto SO-322C are both rated at 66 lbs. max. load. Combined weight is 5.14 lbs, 4.14 -tripod and 1 -head. I pulled the trigger on both items for a little less than $570 which I could live with. It took me some shopping to find for this amount. Once everything gets here I'll post an update.

Update: So it seems both items have shipped so may be sooner than I thought.

Last edited:
So I have both items in hand now. Here are a few of my initial observations. Whenever you start mixing and matching parts from different companies you find pluses and minuses. First off the Sunwayfoto IB-65 does in fact fit into the Leofoto SO-322C. Were the Leofoto top late drops in and engages what I'll call the safetly catch, since I don't remember seeing a name for it, which is a wide slot that prevents the plate from being removed without pulling a release knob. The Sunwayfoto top plate does not have this groove and simply relies on the tension bolt to keep it in place.

Compare.jpg

When I mounted an AR with quad rail to the mount, there wasn't enough tension to keep it in place in a level position. So I go into the box looking for a user manual or instructions and much to my surprise (not) there weren't any. So I go online as many companies have gone to online manuals and again, no luck. I couldn't even find a video showing or explaining how it is done. After looking things over and trying to tighten a few screws I decided to remove the tension lever for the ball. As it turns out with the lever off and looking at the bottom where it fits over a hex bolt head I realize it is 12 point and not just 6 point, like sockets. I moved the lever over a notch and sure enough the tension was higher and now held the rifle firmly in place. I replaced the pan head Allen screw that held the lever in place and all was good.

20230805_150821[1818].jpg

Sorry for not taking a picture of the bottom of the lever but didn't feel like pulling things apart after getting it all back together.

It did come with an arca plate with 3/8" and 1/4" screws. I mounted one of my spotting scopes with 1/4" screw for now. More feedback to follow once I've had more time to play.

I also forgot to mention that the whole assemble fits into the case that came with the tripod. I just needed to unzip the expanding cap piece that makes the case slightly longer.

Last edited:
Reactions: tba