• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting distance for load development?

ViP

Alaska Precision PR1 and PR2
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2018
Canada
I have a 6.5CM RPR and recently started reloading. I have access to a range with 100m, 200m, 300m, 400m and 500m shooting positions.

Is there a better distance to shoot for load development for my rifle? Thanks.

Depends on which load development method you’re using. Ladder test should be shot at 500 but OCW tests at 100. Or you could just do what a lot of shooters are now doing and shoot over a chronograph and check numbers which could be done at any distance.

any distance for chronograph.
200 for groups

Reactions: ViP
Here you go. Method used by one of the best f class shooters in the country.

Dthomas, I'm not a member of the Shooters' Forum website. When I click on Erik Cortina's jpg photos at the bottom of his first post, it won't open them. Can you copy and paste them to a reply on this thread. The info will make more sense if one can look at his pic's. Thanks

I do all my initial load development at 300y with a chronograph.
I'm looking for my Sd's in the single digit and 5 shot groups usually between 3/4"-1".
I usually play with seating depth and neck tension at 600y.

Same, I never shoot at 100. Load test at 300 (5 shot groups) and validate at 600, every shot over labradar.

If a given load maintains single digit SD and holds tight vertical dispersion at 600, I produce a lot of 20-30 rounds and next session go from 600 to max effective range filling out the remainder of the dope card as I move out in 100 yard increments.

Reactions: ViP and TACC