• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mo_Zam_Beek

Private
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2002
OR_GUN
I am wondering if people can throw out some thoughts, tips, and ideas (both mental and physical) on shooting fast.

Here is a pretty common dry fire routine for me:

- Seated or odd position seated and slung

- Optic set around 12x and focused for multiple, uniform POAs at 130 yrds, POAs have 1/4 MOA, 2 MOA, and 6 MOA features. Typical COFs - El Presidente / Mozambiques / etc)

- Vision - I try to only focus on some small detail of POA, I working on limiting the time I spend on switching my focus back to the cross hair to confirm POA = POI before breaking the shot. For ¼ MOA to 2 MOA – it is as brief of a period as I can, for 2+ MOA targets (where POI is to be centered) I only look at the small detail of the POA and break it as soon as the cross hair comes on line. The ability to find a small detail and settle quickly is the major hurdle and body position has obviously been critical.

- Trigger Pull – after following and working diligently on hand position and trigger pull from this thread Differences in Shooting A Gas Gun ; the temptation is to slap at it. Conceptually as long as you don’t lean on it and your hand position is mint – you can. Otherwise, you need to be able to pre-stage your (finger pressure) trigger. I don’t quite have the touch as of yet to really pre-stage and I am not sure I like that method – but it is the fastest – esp keep your focus on the POA only.

Running the bolt – between the sticky buttpad, sling, and hold (esp with a long action) I find that I am much faster running the bolt by rolling the rifle 10 degrees outboard after follow through as it gives me more reach and I don’t have to move my rear elbow from a stable spot. The downside is even though my eyes remain on POA, I have rolled the optic away from my eye – consistency of head position is critical so that the optic rolls back to the same alignment with the eye. The alternate – keeping the optic to my eye requires that I get my elbow back down and settled; and due to reach issues, often moves my overall body position some.

For some reason I am much faster on shots 2+ with the same level of accuracy. My snap shots from a non shouldered starting position are pretty slow.

I will grab a timer and post some splits.

Good luck

Re: Shooting Fast

here is a little sniper Bushido....AKA practicing shit before a match,,,,,

i get all jocked up with what it is i would be wearing on the range, boots and all.....then practice positional about six foot in front of the mirror with the power ring backed off to the lowest setting and savvy the reflection of the reticle through the scope.....practicing breaking the shot when the reticles are plumb.

oh ...this is done with an empty rifle of course

you will break a sweat in no time...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">here is a little sniper Bushido....AKA practicing shit before a match,,,,,

i get all jocked up with what it is i would be wearing on the range, boots and all.....then practice positional about six foot in front of the mirror with the power ring backed off to the lowest setting and savvy the reflection of the reticle through the scope.....practicing breaking the shot when the reticles are plumb.

oh ...this is done with an empty rifle of course

you will break a sweat in no time...</div></div>

Bullshit we know you get nakid and then practice position shooting

OK the FP noise doesn't trip the timer.

Over the last couple of days and using a watch and a start position of odd seated, slung, low ready - the average of 10 cold runs is 21 seconds for a MZB (2 centered on a 6 MOA, 1 on a 1/4 MOA).

If I make a few runs the same is more 18 seconds.

A simple run, 1 round centered on 3 6 MOA POAs - (warm) averages 11 seconds.

This summer I was shooting MZBs at 550 using 21 seconds as the par time but I was prone and on the gun at the buzzer.

I have to believe that for those that know how to hustle efficiently some pretty impressive times can be turned on a simple 3 - 5 POA COF.

Good luck

A drill I ran a lot as a PD sniper was a 1moa target followed by a 3moa target. From the prone with a sling or bipod the par time was a total of 3seconds for both rounds. The number came from some study the FBI did where the figured the lag time of bad guy number 2 would be about 3 seconds from realizing his buddy got smoked. It represented a brain stem shot and a well centered chest shot. It seems pretty quick but the trick was to let the second shot go when the crosshairs swung over the second target and not hesitating trying to get them perfectly centered.