• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting from a barricade

KHOOKS

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2008
Central Alabama
When shooting from barricade that is not stable in the least, and you have to make shots from two different positions. Whats the best way to take the wobble out of the barricade? The barricade is built very basic with 2x4's and plywood. It's got a 2x4 base and the two vertical legs hold the plywood which is cut with three step ups and a few holes thru it to shoot from. Rules of the match "SHOOTER WILL ENGAGE ONE TARGET USING ONLY THE BARRICADE & SHOOTERS BODY FOR SUPPORT. NO OTHER MEANS OF SUPPORT IS ALLOWED. SHOOTERS ARE ALLOWED TO PLACE A SAND BAG UNDER THE RIFLE STOCK OR CLOSED BIPOD AND ON THE BARRICADE" This is a 700y stage.

Re: Shooting from a barricade

Try leaning into the barricade a little, pushing it forward and taking some of the wobble out. You probably won't get all of it out but it will better than before, that's been my experience any way. Do you know what positions you are allowed to use? Sitting, kneeling, or standing? I only ask because in a sitting, barricade supported position I'll try to drop my right elbow to my inside knee and support the butt of the rifle with my support arm. If you grab some shirt sleeve and pull it in while grasping the butt I've found that helps too. If you're in the kneeling I found that kicking the right knee up as opposed to the left and using to support my elbow helps a good bit. I usually try to steady the front of the rifle with my left hand. I use a similar technique with standing shots off of a barricade but I'm just keeping my elbows down, supporting the front of the gun, and trying to remember to breathe. Hope this helps. If you do get a choice always go for the lowest option.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats the best way to take the wobble out of the barricade?</div></div>

Simple, don't touch the barricade. I found I can shoot better without using the barricade for support.

You can get close, just don't touch it.

Depending on if you're allowed to, sling up and shoot seated (assuming you will clear the barricade).

Otherwise if you must use it, do as was mentioned before and try and take some of the slack/wobble out of it with weight/pressure.

Find your Natural Point of Aim (NPA). Hugely important, just like it is with a sitting/kneeling/standing shot. I find my quickest path to my NPA is to stay square with the barricade.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats the best way to take the wobble out of the barricade?</div></div>

Simple, don't touch the barricade. I found I can shoot better without using the barricade for support.

You can get close, just don't touch it. </div></div>

This is what I thought as well.

If the barricade was not stable at all I would just not use it, or try and load it up so it doesn't move as much.

Can you sling up?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbateman™</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats the best way to take the wobble out of the barricade?</div></div>

You can get close, just don't touch it. </div></div>

This is what I thought as well.

If the barricade was not stable at all I would just not use it, or try and load it up so it doesn't move as much.

Can you sling up? </div></div>

Wow