• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting from the crook between door and car

timelinex

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 7, 2011
    Scottsdale,Az
    So I had a question, couple months ago I was out in the desert shooting. I was spotting for someone(no spotting scope!) by holding my rifle in between the door and the car, on a bookbag. I noticed this position to be surprisingly stable and comfortable.

To try and make the position clear, If you open your door you have a V type opening that is made where the hinges of the door are attached. I put my bookback on there.

The question I had, is it safe to shoot from this position? The barrel clears everything(obviously), and the position is really stable. The only thing is that the barrel is basically parallel the the hood and maybe half a foot away. I do not believe that will cause any damage, even with the brake spraying air on it, but my GF definitly disagreed.

What do you guys think?

Re: Shooting from the crook between door and car

My uncle has a friend who fire a .50bmg in a similar way. He shoot using the tailgate of the truck as a bench and the percussion that was diverted sideways but the flash hider actually blew out his tail light that was closest to it. I have no idea if that story is completely true given that it is kind of a 3rd party story, but everyone knows guns give off heat, and heat is not good for paint. Hope that gives you something to think about. I certainly would not be shooting off the c6 vette in you sig.

Is this your Uncle's friend?

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3qTI8TnwlhM"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3qTI8TnwlhM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I would ask Tim3gun the AZ LRPRS team does a truck stage every few months at the monthly match and shoots from different vehicle positions. At least that is a local place to start. There are some vids on their facebook page from September.

I shoot off the hood pretty regularly, but not with a braked magnum, so I can't comment on that. When I shoot, the blast crosses the windshield, and the brass from my AR's usually glances off the windshield. Sometimes I worry that the concussion may make the huge cracks in my windshield grow, but if it has, I have not noticed. I wouldn't worry about it.

Tactically speaking that is the preferred position as it puts the most metal between you and the threat. The car should be at about a 45 degree offset with the engine block wheel well and the door frame upright in between.

That goes for any weapon employed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trigger Monkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is this your Uncle's friend?

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3qTI8TnwlhM"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3qTI8TnwlhM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

lol that might be him, or maybe my uncle just saw that vid and decided to say it was a friend of his...then again he doesn't have internet where he lives.

Look out for the antenna. I was shooting that exact position, leading a running dog, and shot the antenna. Didnt break it, but splattered the hood with lead.

Regards,
    _DT

I have shot several coyotes from that position. I also like resting the rifle on the side mirror of the truck and rear support arm braced by the steering wheel.
    smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nova98Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trigger Monkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is this your Uncle's friend?

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3qTI8TnwlhM"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3qTI8TnwlhM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

lol that might be him, or maybe my uncle just saw that vid and decided to say it was a friend of his...then again he doesn't have internet where he lives.</div></div>

Sadly that's the second or third video posted onto Youtube of different individuals blowing out taillights with a .50 BMG rifle muzzle brake. It seems to be a relatively common occurence in some circles...

We did some training at the range doing exactly that. My M-4 nor my Glock 21 did not do any damage to the cruiser.

We shoot over, under, alongside, from inside the vehicle out partially opened windows with TRG's with brakes, never do any damage.

Check your state laws. Some outlaw possessing a loaded firearm in/on a motor vehicle; or discharging a firearm from or across a maintained roadway.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check your state laws. Some outlaw possessing a loaded firearm in/on a motor vehicle; or discharging a firearm from or across a maintained roadway.

Greg</div></div>

This would be my concern, too. As far as that video, that guy is really stupid to shoot with the brake just a few inches from his taillight.

I was doing that a few months ago. Worked out really well. Pretty stable position too. Only problem was, my bi-pod gouged my paint a little because I didn't put a bag under the rifle like you did!

Shooting at that spot won't be an issue even with a brake. The only way it "may" and I mean even the smallest chance to cause damage would be shooting off the trunk lid of a crown vic for example. The glass in the rear windshield will typically be thinner and that with the brake only a few inches from it could potentially crack it. Your spot would be solid and provides a slight bit of cover.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arbiter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nova98Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trigger Monkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is this your Uncle's friend?

</div></div>

lol that might be him, or maybe my uncle just saw that vid and decided to say it was a friend of his...then again he doesn't have internet where he lives.</div></div>

Sadly that's the second or third video posted onto Youtube of different individuals blowing out taillights with a .50 BMG rifle muzzle brake. It seems to be a relatively common occurence in some circles... </div></div>

i saw a hood caved in from a 50 blast.. that was funny...

Watch where your brass flies with a semi auto. Winshields can generally take a good beating, side and back glass is tempered, sharp hits from hard small objects are good for removing them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beef</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Watch where your brass flies with a semi auto. Winshields can generally take a good beating, side and back glass is tempered, sharp hits from hard small objects are good for removing them. </div></div>

Brass is bad to nick the window tent brow pretty bad too. And I now have a case rolling around in the defrost duct too. Lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beef</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Watch where your brass flies with a semi auto. Winshields can generally take a good beating, side and back glass is tempered, sharp hits from hard small objects are good for removing them.</div></div> if the brass hits the windshield just right it will break too. got a pretty nasty place in mine from a .223 but luckily its up high and it doesn't bother me too bad

The major safety concern I could see is making sure no one walks around the front of your vehicle. Escpecially if they don't see that you are shooting from there. Otherwise, it's a very stable place to shoot from.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M25BeastShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tactically speaking that is the preferred position as it puts the most metal between you and the threat. The car should be at about a 45 degree offset with the engine block wheel well and the door frame upright in between.

That goes for any weapon employed. </div></div>

don't forget that bullets will skip off the hood and fender while heading right for the "V". Its not the worst place to be tactically but not the best either.

OK GUYS SO HERE IT IS REMEMBER HUMBLE-NESS IS THE KEY TO LEARNING!!! SO AS A SNIPER YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO SHOOT IN ANY POSITION AT ANYTIME!! WETHER IT BE IN THE STANDING SITTING KNEELING.SITTING OR PRONE!! BEING A COMBAT SHOOTER MYSELF AS LONG AS YOU HAVE THE BASIC FUNDAMENTALS YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO ENGAGE AND NUETRALIZE TARGETS THAT ARE IN YOUR SIGHT!! JUST REMEMBER IF YOU ARE GOING TO BE SHOOTING OFF OF A VEHCHILE USE HARD ON SOFT CONTACT AT ALL TIMES SO I WOULD SUGGEST YOU MAKE A SAND SOCK TO PUT THE RIFLE ON WHEN YOU ARE SHOOTING OFF ANY HARD OBJECT!!

STA, you have two posts....both are in caps. Lay off the CAPS!

They actually make a bag that velcros around your mirror for shooting from the window. That way, you can just rest your rifle on the mirror as a support and not scratch the mirror or the rifle.

its a good practice, just keep in mind one thing... unless you have an armored car door. a 5.56mm round will sail through it very easily. Newer military ammo like the M855A1 will soar through it like nothing ever happened. as it might be a good temporary position, the key it to not be trapped in the vehicle. to a knowledgable opponent that would be the best time to rush since you have limited avenues to escape from and little cover.