• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting Glasses

Tango2249

Private
Minuteman
May 29, 2010
Looking for good shooting glasses for both indoor/outdoor use. What would you guys recommend?

Re: Shooting Glasses

ESS

they also offer prescriptions if you need them in their recon glasses as well as a few others. very economical. i dont even wear my non tinted 'normal' glasses any more

Oakley M frames, had a pair for years. Plenty of lens options as well.

Damn Mike, I thought I was tacticool in those. Must be getting old....!

So who actually fills the prescription lens part?

What's the cheapest way going about something like this?

Oakley can do it themselves.

ESS, I've either had done by the Army or my own Optical place back home.

I recently found out that my old Optical place will do lenses in frames Oakley won't do Rx in. So, I can basically get anything in my Rx (which is pretty heavy duty).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Bank Manager</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oakley M frames, had a pair for years. Plenty of lens options as well.

Damn Mike, I thought I was tacticool in those. Must be getting old....!</div></div>

We are getting old. To be tacticool now you need to wear whatever they have on the video games.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tango2249</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking for good shooting glasses for both indoor/outdoor use. What would you guys recommend? </div></div>

ESS Crossbow 2x Kit.

You get a smoke set and a clear set.

US made and they are a collaboration between ESS and the parent company, Oakley.

crossbow.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HuntinAZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oakley half jacket xlj's are really nice. </div></div>

This is what I am wearing right now with my RX in the lens.

I wish that Oakley wasnt so damn expensive on RX lens' damn 280 for a set is a bit steep, Id like to have a pair of red lenses and a pair or clear ones.

I use Oakley RX Half Jackets myself, and the price isn't that bad if you are eligible for Standard Issue.

I like Oakleys for field use, but Decots are nice for purely shooting

I found the cheap shooting glasses to work best. I've been issued various ballistic lens glasses through the years and no matter what- the damn things are too close to my face and get fogged up. Especially in a high heat environ. The Oakley and ESS tended to be uncomfortable with the strap and weird fitting with the regular portion that just goes on the ears. When wearing a helmet, this is very critical as the movement of the helmet can effect the glasses if they don't fit right. I always go back to the cheapo ones that have big open frames and very convex lenses to keep them away from my bushy sweaty eyebrows.

The closest thing I've found to work were the revision sawfly glasses but frankly, I would never have bought any of the stuff I was issued. Maybe I'm just a cheap ass or maybe I'm just lucky to have cheaper stuff work for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HD1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So who actually fills the prescription lens part?

</div></div>

ess.
use their website and punch in your prescription. i just got a pair of recons with rx to my door for 160. this is cheaper for a complete pair of rx sunglasses/tinted lenses than what sunglass frames will cost you at most eye glass places and the lenses wont have any ballistic protection.

When you get the Oakleys or ESS in the wrap around style like the half jacket in a prescription is it inserts that you have to use or do they build the RX into the existing style lenses, Ive noticed that some brands offer RX but when you look them up its just a pair of gas mask looking inserts that come with the existing glasses.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brutus1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HD1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So who actually fills the prescription lens part?

</div></div>

ess.
use their website and punch in your prescription. i just got a pair of recons with rx to my door for 160. this is cheaper for a complete pair of rx sunglasses/tinted lenses than what sunglass frames will cost you at most eye glass places and the lenses wont have any ballistic protection. </div></div>

thanks, gonna look into that real soon.

Doesn't sound from your description or screenname like you'll be doing much of this
smile.gif
, but *if* you're planning on lots of prone outdoor shooting, especially in warm weather, you may wanna look at the "high bridge" style like Decots.

They are built to remedy a very common - and very frustrating - problem of sweat and fog accumulating where your brow meets the glass. No normal-shaped glasses I've seen handle this, including the Oakleys with vents.

Essentially what happens in hot weather where your breath will be bouncing back up close to your eye area and/or you're up against iron sights is really bad fogging and sweat where the top frame of the glasses meets your forehead. No amount of anti fog spray, coatings, or vents really help this (believe me, I've tried!) Others with "normal" shaped sunglasses or shooting glasses frequently have this problem too.

So these application-specific type have a physical bridge between the top frame and your forehead, and also have an elevation-adjustable nosepiece to raise the glass center higher on your head. Will you win the "Most Xtreme Tactical Motherfucker!" award? Probably not
smile.gif
. But they did solve my problem and are very clear.

Good luck!

Oakley S.I. M Frame for non-prescription, comes with tinted and clear lens that you can change out.

For prescription lens, I use Bolle Vigilante. The Bolle Vigilante and Parole frmes come with removable rubber triangle in the middle of the frame, between the lens. Prescription lens can then be snapped into the triangular opening. So you can wear them as regular sunglasses or with prescription. You can also swap out the lens, they have specific lens for different sports and lighting conditions, both polarized and non-polarized lens in different tints.

I use oakleys with rx. Don't know the model but they double as my regular day to day sunglasses. Wanted the glass to get as close to my brow line as possible. Heard a story about a guy at the range than a piece of brass from an auto pistol fell between his shooting glasses and his eye and seared to his eye ball. Took over a year and a bunch of surgeries to get vision back. After hearing about that I went out and made sure to get good shootin glasses and make sure to wear a hat whenever possible.

Once again i love the ESS line!! If you need a 40% discount code drop me a line!!!

Rudy Project USA glasses for more than a decade. Having been sponsored by both Rudy and Oakley, there's nothing wrong with Oakley, but Rudy's are flat out better. Had Oakleys and ESS glasses in Iraq and Afghanistan and....wore the Rudy's 'cause....they're better.

Rudy Project USA is also the ONLY sunglass company that OPENLY supports the shooting sports with 3 teams (and more coming) and exposure in its advertising media. And, I'm not talking about shooting specific media, I'm talking about in their mainstream, everyone sees it media.

They're huge in the cycling and triathlon world and slowly progressed into the shooting sports over the last decade. Now, they're in and supporting. If you would like a 40% discount, let me know. I don't make a dime on the deal. All I ask is that you e-mail me the order #.

As for what you can get, as a result of the influence of its shooting teams, Rudy has a Shooters Pack where in you get a frames, 3 sets of lenses and a nice hard case to carry all of them for $150-210 depending on frame style.

The glasses are super lightweight, are infinitely adjustable to the shooter and for those needing a Rx, you have 2 options. Either you can do the traditional insert or you can order the Rx in the lenses. Too, the lens clarity is second to none and even available as photochromic lenses (i.e. like transitions lenses).

If you have any questions, just shoot me a PM or e-mail at [email protected].

Rich

Thanks to everyone for all of this info. It is much appreciated.

Not ESS. We were issued those... Always fall off your face, then if you use the strap on the back they fit too close... Fog up alot... Just didn't like them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOMAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Once again i love the ESS line!! If you need a 40% discount code drop me a line!!! </div></div>

PM sent

Would anyone happen to have a discount code for Oakley?

If you're LE or military, just call and they'll take care of you. I'll just say this though. Rudy's are better lens quality and they support the shooting sports (and are looking to add a Tactical Precision/Sniper "team" to their ranks soon).

Rich

I've been looking at getting the polarized Wiley-X's. Is anyone using these?