• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Shooting glasses???

Just Jim

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2008
"Mexico North" (So. Calif.)
Guys, I'm struggling with a problem. It's about the use of safety / shooting glasses while driving precision rifles.

I'm pretty adamant about their use, yet, I find them a real handicap. My daily wear corrective glasses put the frame right in the field of view, so I have adjusted the diopter of my scope for uncorrected vision, and tried a variety of different safety glasses. In all cases, the view through the scope is noticeably poorer than when no glasses are present.

The wife and I are shooting Nightforce F1s, and had a discussion today about buying good quality riflescopes with highly engineered lenses and coatings, then placing cheap plastic lenses between our eyes and the scope.

Obviously, the only motivation for tolerating this is the idea that it's not safe to shoot without eye protection. I regularly see really experienced people here shooting without eye pro. I know the odds of a problem are remote, but I also know there is roughly 52,000 psi of pressure generated in the chamber, and I have seen cases blow and hot gas and brass and powder particles flow towards the shooter's eyes.

It's one thing to risk my eyes, but I'm very protective of my wife. I hand load our ammo (been loading for roughly 40 years), and can only imagine the grief I'd feel if something happened to her "baby blues."

I would really welcome your opinions.

Cheers... Jim

Re: Shooting glasses???

I have had a very similar problem. I now adjust the eyepiece for uncorrected vision (very minor since PRK) and use a pair of Radians: Radians at midwayusa

I have been very pleased with them. I still get a very small piece of the nose cross bar in my vision on occasion, but it is easily pushed up out of the way.

Keep them clean, and scratch free - a hard case is provided - and I think you will be happy with the clarity of them.

They have various colors available for the lens, but I have found the yellow to work just fine from dusk to bright sunny conditions.

Yours eyes so you roll the dice with your vision if you want but I will always wear safety glasses. Having had a case head seperation and some blown primers, none of them my fault or reloads, there's no way I wouldn't. Ever.

I wear glass normally and my scopes work fine with my scopes. If your daily wears don't work then get another pair that are larger and set up for shooting. Also check your head position on the stock.

I personally won't set up for uncorrected because I need to look at other things around other than just through the scope.

Like Rob, scope is set up for corrected because I need to look around and SEE what else is there.

It will COST you some money, but they make prescription safety glasses every day for factory/foundry workers, and they are worth every dime spent on glass that is tough enough to take work without scratching and is glare free under wierd lighting conditions.

My .02.

I use the ESS Ice Naro's when I go shooting. It looks like you might be able to Rx inserts for them, but I'm guessing you would have to contact ESS or go through a dealer. It might be worth looking into.

Check for a dealer near you and try these out:
http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/index_inne...m_id=SN790306S5

You can adjust the nose piece to push the frame up very high. Enough that I am looking through the lens into the scope and the top frame is not in the way. I can't do that with my daily glasses or my safety glasses for work. For things like IDPA, I can adjust them to fit more like normal safety/sunglasses.

On these, you can get an insert that goes behind the regular lenses that has your Rx correction. So, if you damage an outer lens, you can replace it without worrying about getting an Rx lens. Or, if your Rx changes you can just replace the insert, not all of the colored lenses.

There is no doubt you will pay dearly for these. But, I didn't see any "low cost" alternatives that would really work for me.

Good Luck

I just went through this whole thing.

Ray-Ban Shooters ride high.
Ask your very good, professional (not the cheeps) optometrist to fit you for them.
In the shooting eye, place the focal point where it should be: between your eye and the sight - which is off-center. For me it left, upper left. And we place the reader part in the lower half so I can still read my range cards and stuff. This arrangement is for my prone, scope rifle shooting.

For pistol you flip the bi-focal lens so the reader is on top to you can focus on the front sight.

And make them from TRYVEX

Decot shooting glasses are the best. Good for rifle, pistol and shotgun shooting. You can also change out the lenses to change the color and focal distance. Some models have adjustable nose bridges for height. Truely a lifetime investment.

I appreciate all the great feedback guys. I see many who shoot without eye protection, and I really thought someone might champion that idea. Don't know that I could live with such a suggestion, but I just wanted to hear some wisdom from the vast body of experience we have here.

Thanks again... Jim

I am with you on the eye protection. I have been told by some of our instructors "eye protection not required when using the day optic" , that always worries me. especially with the weapon we shoot. I always wear a pair of issue Oakley shooting glasses.
I can't help with the prescription issues, but ballistic M frames are what I like, full wrap around for max protection, and flat under the ear cup of the peltors. I ALWAYS wear eye protection and have never had any issues. good quality ballistic rated, and properly fitting are a must. Many of the available "shooting" glasses sit too far off the face and can become an issue with scoped optics, but if they fit tight enough to your face there is no issue, for me anyway.

Not wearing glasses when shooting is not a wise thing. The probability is remote, but we dont have spare parts when mayhem strikes. I wear prescribed sun glasses. Oakleys are great. It's worth very penny when it comes to your eyes. JMHO.

Something to ponder....Your reloads may be at safe loading levels but what about a defective primer where the cup is too thin and lets loose? You only have one pair of eyes...

Not worth it in my book....I would spend the money to buy custom prescription shooting glasses if that's what I had to do:

http://www.discountsafetygear.com/prescription-safety-glasses.html

As for me, I use the Uvex safety glasses and they work well. I usually use glasses with a thin frame for prone shooting.

Digging this thread up from the depths. I need to invest in a pair of shooting glasses, but dont want something that breaks the bank, or makes me look like Stevie Wonder. I have a pair of Oakleys that I wear on bright days, but I need something for indoor shooting and on overcast days. Any Recommendations? What are you guys using that you like?

Thanks.

can you get clear or light tinted lenses for your style oakleys? many offer changeable lenses or if you like oakley order a pair that allows for easily swap-able lenses.

also you could look at ESS CDI...they come with light and dark lenses. talk to NOMAD here on the hide and he will get you a code for a big discount.
http://www.esseyepro.com/CDI-Black_14_detail.html

also if you order from the website you should get free shipping and you can order a couple models try them on and return those that dont' fit for a full refund.

Online Risk-Free Guarantee: Don't have a local ESS dealership to try on the 5B™ for fit? Order the 5B™ from this site--if the product doesn't fit you well, you may return it in as-new condition within 30 days for a full refund.