• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting gloves

SuckitTrebek

The rapist for $200
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2005
The Great State of Texas
Maybe one of you gear monkeys out there knows a good option for this.

My brother is heading over to the shithole for the big army shortly.

His unit is required to wear gloves during operations outside the base. Naturally the only ones they issue are the shitty nomex flight gloves.

He's looking for a od green, multicam or desert earth colored pair of gloves good for shooting. They must be nomex.

I've used the oakley si gloves and love them. But they aren't nomex.

Re: Shooting gloves

You could cut the top of the trigger finger off the flight gloves, and use a cheap pair of Mechanix gloves to beat on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

He's looking for a od green, multicam or desert earth colored pair of gloves good for shooting. They must be multicam.
</div></div>

????, they have to be multicam?

I don't consider the Nomex flight gloves to be "shitty" by any stretch. I have destroyed more than my fair share of them as well as Mechanix, Black Hawk and Hatch's. If I was going in harms way I like the armored ones from Blackhawk as the plastic bits have saved my knuckles a time or two but they do wear out rather quickly with hard use and really go to hell if you get them wet and wear on them.

I pay particular attention to my hands because of what I have to do with them so gloves are important to me. That being said I wear 8 1/2 surgical gloves and can palm a basket ball so I punch through fingers really fast.

Doing a trip to the rock box I would roll a set of Blackhaws's or Hatch's for business out side the wire with a patr on mail order delivery every 2 - 3 mos. Take as many pair of Nomex flight gloves as they would give me for "workin' round the camp/FOB" with the leather over gloves that you can also get. Mechanix are cool because they only go up to your wrist but in hard use they fade too.

.02 from the cheap seats.

Cheers,

Doc

Wiley X makes a good glove that are nomex. Even gucci ones with kevlar knuckles to back hand Haji. Use lose some dexterity as I think they are a little thick. In the summer heat I actually use the plain jane flight gloves. They look cheap and flimsy but will last longer than most big name brands and breathe better.

Whats nice about the flight gloves, is that they are free, and can get nearly as many as you want.(If you have a decent S4) I always used blackhawk and Oakley until the Command said it had to be Nomex. Which then narrowed it down to a few options. So I picked the unlimited supply of flight gloves and would continually get new ones as they would only typically last about 3-5 weeks under normal use.

Underarmour makes nomex flight gloves that fit really nice, but are expensive at $50 and would wear out super fast if you beat on them. If you go that route order a size larger than normal, they run small for some reason.

The new gloves issued during RFI are pretty nice, leather palm and padded knuckles, Nomex. they come free with every deployment!

They are short like the Oakleys, velcro closure. IMO after market gloves are a waste of money, they generally dont out-perform the issued stuff, especially the new issued stuff, YMMV

SI TACTICAL FR GLOVE
BLACK
94086-001
Military protective gloves have special requirements. Rugged Pittards Fire Resistant leather palm and topside reinforcements. Anatomical protective knuckle plating covered with FR leather. Two layers of Nomex protect back of hand and fingers. Single Velcro closure adds secure and easy closure.

The SI Tactical FR Glove complies with the following testing standards for flame resistance:

ASTM D6413
NFPA 1971 Section 7.7.3

Oakley does make fire resistant gloves.

Try Outdoor Research OR. They have some really nice gloves. As far as Multicam gloves, I have only seen one manufacture offer them. I think it was Nextstar by Damascus. They are pretty cheap but I'm guessing they won't last long.

k9g

Oakley fast rope gloves. They are nomex and pretty darn tough. I use these while shooting my piston gloves and taking off hot suppressors and they work great.

Just tell him to stick with the nomex flight gloves. They are comfortable and work well. It's not a fashion show over there. They issue nomex for a reason. Stay away from anything with kevlar or nylone since they melt. You don't want your gloves melting to your hands. That's why leather and nomex are used on flight gloves.

I used the normal nomex flight gloves when I was over there and they worked great. They might mean the difference between keeping and losing your fingers if the vehicle gets hit and burns.

For my shooting gloves, I have a pair of 5.11 Nomex flight gloves, just like these ones: http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Accessories/Gloves/Tac-NFO2-Gloves.html#.

They're pretty comfortable and very breathable, good for warmer climates. I've had them for over a year now, probably closer to 1.5 years, and have just found a cut on the trigger finger. I've probably shot about 5,000-6,000 rounds with these gloves on.

I've never been in the military, so I can't comment on how they would be for such operations. All I know is that they seem to work good for what I do, comfortable in warm climates, and when wearing them you forget that they are on.

I've used the Blackhawk gloves in both theatres and was very happy with them. I used the Hellstorm with NOMEX. I still had very good dexterity using my fingers for working the trigger or fine skills when needed. A lot of guys cut off the finger tips but that defeats the purpose of the NOMEX and the protection it offers.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/blackhawk-tactical-and-motorcycle-gloves.html