• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting groups

komifornian

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2011
Peoples Republic of Kalifornia
So this is an odd one.....

When I shoot my rifle at .5" dots I hit every one almost every time. This would indicate that I/my rifle shoot at least .5 minutes with relative ease. However, when I shoot groups I almost always have a flyer. It must be me but I have no idea what the hell I'm doing and what difference it would make shooting groups. Regardless, this makes no sense to me whatsoever!

Here are the specifics:
Rifle is a JP LRP 07
Hand loads (if you need the details let me know) that are EXACTLY the same. I'm super anal about this...
distance to target = 100 meters
Shoot in the prone position off of a bipod.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated

Cheers-

I have the same rifle in 6.5cm. Is it the first shot of the string or the last, where the bolt locks back?

I get a flyer once in a while, but as long as I can put 3-4 within 1/2-3/4 inch it's fine to go long distance.

Gas guns everything you do has to be perfect every time. They take practice especially follow through.

Why are you grouping if you don't mind me asking? Load testing or you just want to shoot tiny groups?

Thanks for the quick response af3sh00t3r , It's almost always the last shot in the string.
You're absolutely right about gas guns! This almost never happens with my bolt guns.
Originally I was grouping to work up a load. Now I do it because I'm trying to get better - to remedy this issue

Thanks for the quick response af3sh00t3r , It's almost always the last shot in the string.
You're absolutely right about gas guns! This almost never happens with my bolt guns.
Originally I was grouping to work up a load. Now I do it because I'm trying to get better - to remedy this issue

Okay...so, if it's the last as the bolt locks back then that's what it is...the reciprocating mass recoil for that last round is what you need to control. Follow through on that last one is key along with recoil management.

That's what I had to practice most...maybe others will have pointers for you, but I used to practice with 3 rounds on my mag, then I used 4 rounds then 5 rounds...as a way to get used that last round showing up more often. If I could get a good 3 round group, then I would move to 4 and so on. I would never move on to a higher round count on my mag until I got a good group.

your going to start realize that the better you shoot your gas gun, Your bolt skills will totally improve. It has for me.

Good luck and safe shootin'!

Okay...so, if it's the last as the bolt locks back then that's what it is...the reciprocating mass recoil for that last round is what you need to control. Follow through on that last one is key along with recoil management.

That's what I had to practice most...maybe others will have pointers for you, but I used to practice with 3 rounds on my mag, then I used 4 rounds then 5 rounds...as a way to get used that last round showing up more often. If I could get a good 3 round group, then I would move to 4 and so on. I would never move on to a higher round count on my mag until I got a good group.

your going to start realize that the better you shoot your gas gun, Your bolt skills will totally improve. It has for me.

Good luck and safe shootin'!

Thanks for the tips!

Here you go frank did a video on follow through:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/v3E2GunHmS4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
If your DI machine is unlocking correctly (i.e. after bullet leaves the muzzle) then follow through is of no concern.
I'm not aware of any machine (DI or piston) where the bullet is still in the bore when the BCG is more than an inch out of battery.
Therefore, what you do (or don't do) mere microseconds after detonation matters not.

If your DI machine is unlocking correctly (i.e. after bullet leaves the muzzle) then follow through is of no concern.
I'm not aware of any machine (DI or piston) where the bullet is still in the bore when the BCG is more than an inch out of battery.
Therefore, what you do (or don't do) mere microseconds after detonation matters not.

Then this is could be another issue in your opinion? If so what are your thoughts?
This something I'd like to correct and am looking for experienced insight. Hence the reason I posed the question here.

Perhaps it's a "more trigger time" issue?

The main mistake people make on here is shooting 5-shot groups in order to determine ultimate accuracy or to trouble-shoot.
If your last shot is consistently low then its probably a heat-related issue. And I say "issue" loosely... as not to infer that its a "problem" or design/manufacturing defect.
You might have headspacing that is either on the tight or loose side with that particular ammo your using. Applied heat could effect the headspacing to come into a threshold that tends to throw the bullet either down or up.
I recommend that you shoot 10-shot groups and see if your last 5 shots are consistently walking downward, or if they simply "grow" all around.
Make sure to shoot a little bit off your point of aim (an inch or more), in order to keep your point of aim small.

Last edited:

Follow through is 100% important. Are you saying it isn't?

I am saying "follow through" is zero percent important. What you do once the bullet is gone from the muzzle has zero effect on accuracy. You are not "body conscience" in the entire amount of time the bullet is traveling down the barrel. The main thing that matters is that you are holding and shouldering the rifle in the same manner each time when detonation occurs.

I am saying "follow through" is zero percent important. What you do once the bullet is gone from the muzzle has zero effect on accuracy. You are not "body conscience" in the entire amount of time the bullet is traveling down the barrel. The main thing that matters is that you are holding and shouldering the rifle in the same manner each time when detonation occurs.

Basically it's semantics "follow through" is part of being consistent when shooting a gas gun. Hence my point earlier about testing and practicing 3, then 4, then 5 shot groups. This will provide data as to the last round chambered as well as fired.

JP is bound have issues, but heat or a defect showing up after 5 shots is highly unlikely. I use my gun in matches where consistency is key.

Every instructor will always focus on Trigger control and follow through as some of the important key elements of precision.

I think the problem is that I'm trying to turn my gas gun into a bolt gun or make this "practical accuracy" rifle into a bench rest rifle..Frankly, this thing is super accurate and extremely well made. The problem lies with me.
If I can hit a 3/4" dot at 200 meters most of the time and think this is just cutting it, well, there are other issues that need to be dealt with.
All the best!