• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rockin A Archer

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2020
Hey everybody,

I’m new to long range shootIng and am trying to figure out how best to get a grip with my firing hand on more traditional stocks with a flatter angle and still get that 90 degree trigger control I hear everyone talk about. I was hoping you guys would be able to give me some pointers on this topic. I’ll probably throw a picture or two up at some point for y’all to pick me apart.

Thanks guys!

Put your fingertips on the grip. Push to the rear with fingertips instead of fingers/hand.

Since it’s called a “grip” people think you have to grab it, but you don’t.

Get your finger on trigger at 90 deg first, then see where your hand and fingers need to be.

Reactions: STex

One other thing that helped me was putting my thumb at the ‘base’ of the safety where it met the stock. It was the easiest position for me to get the 90* trigger finger and I could feel where the stock began, so I could put my thumb in the same spot every time.

Dthomas3523 is right. Start by putting your trigger finger on the trigger with a 90 Degrees finger bend. Then see where you grip lands. Rolling your thumb to the hand side of the rifle (Not over the rifle) will help with getting proper trigger finger placement and a manageable grip. For me, my hand gets slid forward of the "grip" on the rifle. I have to squeeze the "grip" between my palm and my 3 griping fingers. There is a large void between the rifle "grip" and the inside of my hand near the knuckles. This is because I have to slide my hand forward.
Having the gap and a less than desirable grip on the rifle will play havoc with your recoil management. You'll need to have a good bipod load, shoulder placement and body alignment to keep a good post shot sight picture. I'll see if I can get a photo this weekend.

Reactions: Dthomas3523
Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you guys...

That makes sense. I was wondering about having space, between my hand and the grip area, but I feel like I have moderate control with this clamp like method... I just need to learn to index my grip without putting my finger on the trigger now haha

So I’m new here and to this genre of shooting. I too have the traditional stock/grip. I’ve been reading a lot trying to soak up all this stuff. Since my range is bench only I started reading how the Benchrest guys do it. So I was/am doing the free recoil thing. Yes I’ve read the thread on fr vs recoil management. I always wondered how the hell you see your impact when the rifle is free recoiling. My question. Are the fundamentals of the recoil management technique basically the same when from the bench. Prone vs. bench is what I’m getting at I guess.

Unless a very light recoiling/heavy rifle, you will have trouble seeing your shots when free recoiling. Most people use a variation of free recoil, not completely free recoiling. Free recoil and it’s variations are another tool in the toolbox and not every tool is universal. It has its pros and cons. When utilized properly, it works very well.

As far as bench vs prone, that also depends. You can sit beside the rifle and use a free recoil or variant technique. Or you can sit or stand directly behind the bench and shoot what I call modified prone. Same idea as prone. Just not on your belly.

All depends on what type of shooting you are doing and the conditions.

For example on free recoil. If you’re shooting a 2moa plate at 400yds off a stable barricade and there is little or no wind.....free recoil all you want. Or say it’s the last shot at a distance and you’ll be changing shooting direction on the next shot.....go for free recoil if you want. Spotting shot isn’t a big deal if you don’t see it exactly.

Now say it’s 600yds and the wind is high. You’ll want to really focus on where the first shot or two goes. Shoot first shot, if need be make correction. If the wind is steady and you have good shot placement, you can start easing back off the rifle if you want.

Now so the wind is switchy......you’ll want to stay on the rifle at all times and really focus on your shots so you can apply corrections each shot if the wind switches.

I could literally write another 10 pages on situations that you can use various tactics and tools on. But I’m sure you get the idea.

Well I’m 40 years an aircraft mechanic so I’m not very good with tools.
Seriously though I get it . Be good at both

Ok here’s my “rig”. R700 ADL Varmint.308 Trigger Tech Special, Dback Tact. 6-24 Boyd’s stock.Hope nobody died laughing.
CF04375E-391D-4926-A164-EC7EBA80382A.jpeg

Reactions: Average guy