• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Shooting in a new barrel?

wh20crazy

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2018
NC
I've always shot in new barrels on my bolt guns. I have a new Uberti 1873 in .357 on the way. It will primarily be used banging steel inside of 50 yards with cast pills, but will occasionally see the rifle range. Is it worth shooting it in?

I take it to the range. Shoot 20ish rounds. Clean it for carbon and copper then go back to cleaning once accuracy suffers.

Reactions: wh20crazy
I handload and I like to fire form my brass before doing load development. I use the first 50 or 100 rounds through the barrel to do that, and to also test brass pressure signs within the published max/min load limits.

After this, a thorough cleaning, and I'm essentially done with barrel prep. I don't do it to deliberately break in a barrel; but that happens anyway, as it would if I did nothing but shoot and clean as I would later on in the barrel's lifespan.

Greg

Reactions: wh20crazy
Thanks for the responses. I can't wait to get it. This one is going to be fun.