• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Shooting in Texas winds

Aimsmall55

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2010
Madison, Ms
I recently moved to Texas and decided to join a gun range yesterday. I got zeroed out 100 and immediately went to the thousand yard qualification range and let me tell you it was a hell of a different deal then we have a Mississippi. 25 mph winds shooting a 16x16 inch piece of paper was some of the most challenging I’ve ever had to do.
I was shooting a Ruger RPR and a 140 ELDM that I loaded up for my 65 Creedmor. However even with no reference as to where I was heading I was able to put three out of eight within a 6 inch group on that piece of paper
Load was 42.68 H4350, 140 Eld m at 2.865”. Hornady brass FGM210m.

Welcome! Wait until June... Wind zones where I shoot are intense - terrain induced. Horizontal mirage will become a familiar sight, along with stiff, unforgiving vegetation that gives little indication of speed.

The winds I got in eastern Washington and Oregon were no joke but once you learned them were not too difficult to deal with.

Some of the winds I deal with shooting across the steep valleys in western Oregon and Washington with leave you scratching your head at times.

Welcome! Wait until June... Wind zones where I shoot are intense - terrain induced. Horizontal mirage will become a familiar sight, along with stiff, unforgiving vegetation that gives little indication of speed.

YES the spring is great in West Texas with 20mph being the normal and gust to 40mph.

Reactions: AIAW
I've had to hold 2 miles with a 6 creed at 400 here in north texas. Fun times.

The joys of shooting out west. :)

Yesterday shooting at 925 yards where the far target was across a canyon and on a steep slope. Wind quartering in from about 10:00 and running down the face, solid 20-25mph. Horizontal wind hold 3.8 mils. Vertical wind displacement 1 mil. Dope says 6.7, had to dial 7.7.

Shoulda seen the trace through the spotting scope. Bullet takes a hard right turn, then gets swatted down out of the sky by the hand of God.

Last edited:

Yesterday shooting at 925 yards where the far target was across a canyon and on a steep slope. Wind quartering in from about 10:00 and running down the face, solid 20-25mph. Horizontal wind hold 3.8 mils. Vertical wind displacement 1 mil. Dope says 6.7, had to dial 7.7.

Shoulda seen the trace through the spotting scope. Bullet takes a hard right turn, then gets swatted down out of the sky by the hand of God.

1573608397869.png

Seen some similar scenarios at the nrl match in Nebraska (formally the battle of Breakneck) this year. Was interesting for myself being it's pretty flat here in north Texas.

Reactions: Sheldon N
I'm in Texas for work and brought my guns with me. I shot a match on Saturday and it definitely is a different animal shooting down here. Winds started at 3/4 mph and within an hour they were 20 with 25 mph gust.