• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes shooting long distance need scope suggestions

co4life

Private
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2009
Grand Junction, Colorado
Hey I just recently got a .308 custom gun by cactus weapons it has seekins 34mm rings and 20 moa base. I need to know what is some of your suggestions for a scope that will fit in the 34mm rings. Price is not to big of an issue, also what are some features that are useful such as ffp, illuminated rectical, etc., good and bad of these. Could also switch rings for 30mm but would rather stick with the 34mm thanks all the help I can get I will take I am a newbie at shooting long range.

Re: shooting long distance need scope suggestions

well, with the 34mm rings, youre kinda stuck with the big names. nightforce, US optics, and such. if you switched to the 30mm you would have many more options, such as leupold nikon and burris, which all make very good tactical scopes and have a lot of great options as well. big turrets with great knobs and alot of other bells and whistles. but it mostly comes down to what youre doing with it. some questions you need to think about are; is it a service rifle, or are you just hunting paper with it. is it a hunting rifle, or what? answering those questions will help you narrow it down to a small handfull of scopes.

Some US Optics, Schmidt & Bender, and Premier Reticle's Heritage use a 34mm tube.

I like an FFP and Illuminated ret. If I had to choose, I'd rather have FFP as there are other ways of lighting a ret.

Thanks it is going to be a service rifle once I get the correct training right now it will be for punching paper. Also should I go with a 1/4 moa or 1/2 moa adjustments on wind and elevation knobs?

For the 34mm group, it is definitely a short, but high quality list: USO, Schmidt & Bender, and Premier Reticle's heritage. For a lot of people, the list of 34mm scopes are scopes that you want to pick up after you've been able to shoot a while and can clearly identify your needs/likes/specific functions. I say that only because on all of them there are SO many options and you would already know all the answers to some of the questions you asked. If you have the money, you obviously can't go wrong buying any of those scopes. And if you decided to change or that you like something later, you can ALWAYS sell them here for good value. I applaud you for wanting to/being willing to spend some money on "good glass", which is usually the part that people skimp out on when starting. But I wouldn't narrow your choice of optics as a default by ring size. I shoot a lot with the Horus system, and so I have a personal preference for FFP. A lit reticle is nice in low light or if your target is (very) dark colored, but a good portion of the people I run into who have lit reticles don't actually "need" it. When you're talking about options on high-end scopes with lit reticles, realize there's much less of the "trijicon" concept of a bright aiming point...which I think some people expect when they hear "lit reticle." (otherwise Nightforce wouldn't have to put the justification for the precise red lighting to their reticles in their manual...they must've had a bunch of people call/write them about it). High-end reticles are not just precision aiming tools, but precision MEASURING tools, which can help or hurt you. Make sure to look in the FAQ for new long distance shooting thread, which is good information for ALL levels of shooters. Good shooting!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: co4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Could also switch rings for 30mm but would rather stick with the 34mm.</div></div>Always first ask yourself 'Why?': Why switch? Why stick?

Get a scope that matches your needs intead of your rings.

Decide on a use for the rifle and buy a scope accordingly.

Also, consider Mil/Mil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: co4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks it is going to be a service rifle once I get the correct training right now it will be for punching paper. Also should I go with a 1/4 moa or 1/2 moa adjustments on wind and elevation knobs? </div></div>

now, as ive said in other boards, i am not an expert when it comes to shooting, i just really enjoy doing it. its relaxing(i know im preaching to the choir here). but all the scopes ive had were 1/4moa. and all ive ever heard about the 1/2moa scopes is theyre great for quicker adjustments at long range. less turns on the turret=quicker adj. but that being said, you lose a little precision with the faster adjustment. and the same with 1/4, you lose speed with the extra precison.

+1 on mil/mil.

i made the switch 4 years ago... it was a little "greek" at first but well worth the adjustment. pardon the pun!!

I agree...you can spend up to, and above $3500 for glass...$200 for new rings would be the least of my worries. Get what scope best fits your intended shooting specs and then worry about new rings.