• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

shooting lr-308 vs. bolt guns

[email protected]

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2008
West Arkansas
any tips on what to do differently - I shot my dpms lr-308 today and the results were horrible. I can shoot my savage 10fp at sub MOA. My groups with the lr were 3 times that. Shooting winchester 180 super-x at 150yds.

Re: shooting lr-308 vs. bolt guns

Gas Guns are not as forgiving as bolts are.

Go back to the basics and be very critical of your mechanics. Trigger, breathing, Natural point of aim etc.

Doubt its the rifle, perhaps check the reloading section and see whaothers are having luck with in the same rifle.

i was pretty confident on the basics. I was shooting off the bags - I didnt try off the bipod....maybe I should have. stringing was more lateral than horizontal and i was very conscious of the trigger pull - except I didnt hold the trigger down for long after the shot - should I have? I mean is my followthru all f..d up???

That really crazy lookn guy at Rifles Only did a short vid on shooting AR's that is on point. I think his name is Ted or Jacob. Maybe he's right. Check it out here on the hide. I don't know if he knows what he's doing but he seems to think he does so maybe he does. I probably need to take a lesson from him.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showthreaded&Number=1679542

Casey thats some funny shit LOL!

Trigger reset is more important than you may think...I'm still trying to master it myself. I can certainly call my shot AFU when I unintentionaly fail to properly hold the trigger down untill sighted in for the following shot.

Too much time blasting away on the 223's drove some really bad habits far into my muscle memory.

LowLight (Frank the sight owner) and Jacob Bynum (Rifles Only) do have some good vids up in the subscription section of this sight. They get pretty deep into the woods on some of the particular quirks involved with shooting the 308 AR's.

It is likely a combination of factors:

1) Try different ammo (Super X 180gr is likely not the best choice for a gas gun. Try something in the 168gr or 175gr match category for example);

2) If you are running the stock DPMS trigger, GET A NEW TRIGGER!! (I can't stress this enough. The standard DPMS trigger is heavy and has a lot of slop in it. A bad trigger can account for a margin in loss of accuracy like what you are experiencing);

3) Shooting any gas gun is different than shooting a bolt gun. Here is a link to a good video explanation that may help you:

Try those things and see how it goes. Good luck!!

Thanks for the ideas - watched the vid and I think my trigger reset is my issue. I am letting it go as soon as I fire...
Its not the fault of the trigger - its a nice 3# JP trigger -feels great compared to my HBAR.

Agreed about the ammo - just bought it for the brass and crude sighting in - just expected myself to do hell of a lot better than that. I'll make up some homemade loads for it - I just know that much aint only the ammo - but the nut behind the guns...just got my tail between my legs a little bit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is likely a combination of factors:

1) Try different ammo (Super X 180gr is likely not the best choice for a gas gun. Try something in the 168gr or 175gr match category for example);

2) <span style="color: #FF0000">If you are running the stock DPMS trigger, GET A NEW TRIGGER!! </span>(I can't stress this enough. The standard DPMS trigger is heavy and has a lot of slop in it. A bad trigger can account for a margin in loss of accuracy like what you are experiencing);

3) Shooting any gas gun is different than shooting a bolt gun. Here is a link to a good video explanation that may help you:

Try those things and see how it goes. Good luck!! </div></div>

I was about to suggest this myself.

The stock trigger systems are doo-doo.

I had a hard time switching from my Savage Rifles to the current AR's, PSL's, etc., but the best thing to do is KEEP SHOOTING. Get the feel back for the rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tundraotto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the ideas - watched the vid and I think my trigger reset is my issue. I am letting it go as soon as I fire...
Its not the fault of the trigger - its a nice 3# JP trigger -feels great compared to my HBAR.

Agreed about the ammo - just bought it for the brass and crude sighting in - just expected myself to do hell of a lot better than that. I'll make up some homemade loads for it - I just know that much aint only the ammo - but the nut behind the guns...just got my tail between my legs a little bit. </div></div>

From my experience with handloads in the AR308 platforms, you will be extremely impressed over your store bought ammo.

The rifle I am getting later this year has been ran on handloads its entire "rifle life" and its getting 1-2'' groups at close to 600m with upgraded trigger.

In a bolt rifle you are dealing with 1 recoil impulse. In a gas you are dealing with as many as 3 impulses before the bullet leaves the barrel.

The trigger has been discussed.

With a pistol grip it is not uncommon to have a sympathetic squeeze that will change POA/POI.

Please change your ammo. Standard Winchester is really horrible.

I'll load some up - the only problem is that I only have some lapua 185gr scenars and some midway "blemished" 150gr FMJBT bullets...from what I understand neither is "great" for the 1:10. However - that aint all it - I felt like a friggin' douchebag shooting like I did...I went back and shot my savage FP and found that I can shoot a bolt gun just fine (for me). I have a colt HBAR, but of course my range is a too long for its a handle carry with a red-dot on it to put out any groups wortha shit..I still could have done better.

I think my hold is f'd up - I really think I am holding it wrong and maybe I should be shooting off the bipod instead of a bag...dunno...frustrated and embarrased.

As bad as the box ammo is I still should be able to sight in...shit...

Ill change scopes too - just to make sure - I just dont want to change all at once and not know where I am at....

I was the same way when I got my semi .308. I could shoot .5 MOA with my bolts and 1.5-2MOA with the semi's. Now I'm around .75 and under with the semi's.

The Online Training has a couple lessons on shooting a semi. It helped me tremendously. I highly reccomend it.

-dan