• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting Mat recommendations

762Fundi

Private
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2006
Is US Peacekeeper gear GTG? They carry alot of it at my local LEO store. Have a discount coupon & was thinking of getting the shooting mat.

Anyone have the shooting mat or recommend another brand of shooing mat?

Re: Shooting Mat recommendations

A canvas tarp works, I know it doesn't look cool but whatever.

I use a furniture cover thingy, used to cover feurniture when moving. Works, I am going to saw onm some straps so that I can easily roll it and pack it away.

What is the price on a nice shooting mat anyway???

I have a US Peacekeepers shooting mat; it was about $100.00. It has held-up well so far and does the job it is designed to do. I like it. If all you want is just a mat, the US peacekeepers will do a good job. That said, if I had it to do all over again, I would have put that money towards a combo-drag bag case/shooting mat. It's that much less to carry around and gets the job done nearly as well as the single-purpose mat.

I snagged the midway mat that was on sale a few weeks ago. It was only 24.99 and works much better then the old tarp I was using.

that's the same one i've been using, not bad for the price of under $50.00

plus it's compact and light enough to hook to my rucksack on hunts.
TURKEYSTAND.jpg

or for plinking
25YSHOOTING.jpg

doubles as a nice bedroll for napping too.

Basic mat get a TAB from Riflesonly.com
A nice mat and carry case get a HSRC from Triadtactical. Com

I bought the Midway mat on sale for about 25.00 bucks. Works well till it gets hot outside. It will burn your ass up! It's like getting in a car with vinyl seats when it's a 100 degrees out!

I have been using a "tactical blanket." It doesn't look very cool, but it does the trick, and rolls up really small. Makes it tough for me to part with $80 to upgrade.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a furniture cover thingy, used to cover feurniture when moving. Works, I am going to saw onm some straps so that I can easily roll it and pack it away.

What is the price on a nice shooting mat anyway???</div></div>

Those things are nice and thick, I love em.

Thanks... teaching some shooters here in TX and the ranch we shoot on the range is all sticker burrs and cactus, so wanted something that would repel burrs and make the girls happy

I would have thought the girls in TX were used to little pricks by now !

+1 for the Midway, only $25.00 and it works just as well as any of your high end mats. Remember it's a shooting mat, not a mattress.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I have been using until I figure out my own design.

http://8541tactical.com/voodoo_mat_review.php </div></div>

A lot of my new students get that and have had no issues. I have one I use as a loaner that I left in a field and found a year later. Except for sun fading and fire ants, it held together fine. If padding isn't needed, get the TAB.

+1 for the midway mat. The closest mat for the money is 2-3 times as much.

Don't forget we do lots of custom sewing, so if our production mats don't have enough padding for you or isn't big enough, get ahold of us with your wants and needs and we'll be happy to work with you to make what you want.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tburkes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't forget we do lots of custom sewing, so if our production mats don't have enough padding for you or isn't big enough, get ahold of us with your wants and needs and we'll be happy to work with you to make what you want. </div></div>

I would take him up on his offer. Customer service and quality are great. Short production time, and quick delivery.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rak187</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 for Grand River Tactical </div></div>

gear whore

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: astro</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought the Midway mat on sale for about 25.00 bucks. Works well till it gets hot outside. It will burn your ass up! It's like getting in a car with vinyl seats when it's a 100 degrees out! </div></div>

Absolutely!

Hit the black rubberized areas with some tan krylon to reduce the "skin graft effect". I was in the direct sun for 5 hours last weekend and it was MUCH better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CL1KKL4C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I snagged the midway mat that was on sale a few weeks ago. It was only 24.99 and works much better then the old tarp I was using. </div></div>

I have a few years on my midway mat, its pretty well made and cheap enough to replace if anything wore out on it.

I am somewhat surprised that no one mentioned the Dillon Mat. It is somewhat higher priced than the Midway mat, but the padding is thicker. Even when unrolled on concrete, my bony elbows don't bottom out. Can't say that with the Midway mat and I've tried both

The black rubber on the front top of the mat can get mighty hot in the South Texas sun just like any other black rubber would, but a towell or pad keeps the skin on your elbows.

I may try the tan Krylon trick mentioned earlier. Why didn't I think of that?????

The Dillon mat comes with two straps and buckles to keep it rolled up and a clip-on shoulder strap.

I have used mine for the last 6 years and it's only sign of aging is some fading fron the sun.

Paul

I just used my new Tab Gear mat yesterday and it is the way to go for laying on grass/dirt. It is light and packs up very small. If I am going to be shooting a competition for extended strings off concrete, the midway mat is the right choice.

I use the Tactical Tailor Pro Shooter, mostly because (a) it is padded without being bulky (it cinches down snug on my pack), (b) it is very durable, and (c) the way it packs. Because it folds like a map, the crap-side-down stays separate from the clean side. I can throw it in the mud/gravel/stickers/soggy pine needles, shoot a string, fold it up and move to a new location, flop it out again and still be lying on clean material. I haven't found anything else that does that, although I'll admit my search probably hasn't been exhaustive.

If I missed a similar product, I would appreciate a heads-up.

Of course, if you need to travel very light, don't mind rolling debris up in your mat, and don't need the padding (a virtual necessity for old farts...despite the fact that many of us carry plenty of it already) get the TAB.

i use a piece of tumbling mat that the coach from the local high school was about to throw away...works great..looks like s#&%@

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m54dmb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i use a piece of tumbling mat that the coach from the local high school was about to throw away...works great..looks like s#&%@ </div></div>

ringworm, what fun

Bought a Midway mat for $25. Works great, not overly padded. But about cooked myself on it when the black rubber sat in the sun. Cut that cheap sh!t right outta there. Like it much better now.

I just used my new creedmore mat this weekend at a 600 prone match and loved it. About 100 dollars but definitely a buy once cry once item..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a furniture cover thingy, used to cover feurniture when moving. Works, I am going to saw onm some straps so that I can easily roll it and pack it away.

What is the price on a nice shooting mat anyway??? </div></div>

They are called moving blankets and they make great shooting mats as well as great working under the car mats.

They are good for other things but this is a family forum.

I bought a Voodoo Tactical mat from CTD a few weeks ago. I've used it 4 or 5 times now & find that I like it. The small pouches are handy to store the cover for the USO anti-cant level & a chamber flag & stuff. I haven't tried to put any ammo in the ammo holder, they look kinda' small for .308 but .223 might fit just fine. I used a Dillon before, & still will except for when the sun is burning down on it. That black anti-skid stuff will cook a person & I'm not smart enough to remember to bring along a towel or something to cover the black with. With the Voodoo I don't have to & have one less thing to remember to bring and loose.