• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting mat

Re: Shooting mat

Shooting mat/rifle case threads are a dime a dozen. Try running a search using the link provided in my sig line and see the multitude of threads that come up on the subject. Lots of good reading including reviews, recommendations, etc.

On the short list, look at the offerings from Eagle Industries and Grand River Tactical.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nick makes good stuff!</div></div>

In all fairness, only because Graham loves his damn Eagle HSRC, they are nice too, maybe a little too nice.
grin.gif

Seriously though, of all the good stuff on the market, this is the only thing that compares, and if you must choose Eagle, get it from this Steve.

http://www.triadtactical.com/Hybrid-Sniper-Rifle-Case.html

I have a TabGear mat. Nice mat to keep you dry and clean. Light weight, to haul around or pack somewhere.

For a padded mat I went to Sears and bought a mat for the garage. It is about 1/4" 48"x72", and is foam padding. You will not want to lugg this thing around, but it is pure comfort. Toss in the truck, hit the range or shooting spot and it works like a charm. $25.

I got the one from cheaper than dirt ... cheap and light, does the trick. If I am going to put this in dirt and mud and over rocks. I dont want something expensive ... I want something that is cheap and that can be replaced very easily.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.net/MOLLE652-1.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Apophas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got the one from cheaper than dirt ... cheap and light, does the trick. If I am going to put this in dirt and mud and over rocks. I dont want something expensive ... I want something that is cheap and that can be replaced very easily.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.net/MOLLE652-1.html

</div></div>

That is one way to look at it.

The other way is if you want something to pack your rifle around in, as well as a shooting mat that will provide a lifetime of comfort and protection for you and your rifle and is warranted for life, buy once, buy American. It is cheaper in the long run.

If you shoot in that kind of environment a couple times a year, it is doubtful you will wear any bag out. It is more likely it will just fall apart, not to mention if you don't mind supporting the Chinese economy, Cheaper than Dirt is for you!

I have the one of the midway shooting mats and i like it. its not really expensive (about $50 on sale and every once in a while $25 on sale) and it does what its supposed to, but isn't the best one out there either.

Get one of Nicks GRT mat bags,he has 10 kids and two wifes to feed and needs the money more than Eagle does.

Maybe that will land you a sell Nick + his mat bag is really nice kit...HEHA!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIERRAWHISKEY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get one of Nicks GRT mat bags,he has 10 kids and two wifes to feed and needs the money more than Eagle does.

Maybe that will land you a sell Nick + his mat bag is really nice kit...HEHA!!!</div></div>

I am breaking the bank on a 18" Long arm Consew and a bar tacker in a couple weeks, so every little bit helps
grin.gif

{Apophas}, your mindset and people like you are the direct result of our country's economic collapse!
Americans need to support American industry. End of story.
I don't care if the same comparable product costs twice as much to make in America, I will buy it because it's for the greater good. And generally Americans take pride in their work....thus products here are of superior quality.
To hell with that CHI-COM shit!

Here is what I use to cary my rifle in and sometimes shoot off of.
http://www.eagleindustries.com/product.phpproductid=365&cat=45&page=1
I Highly recomend it for its intended use. But I primarly shoot off the foam sleeping mats you can get a military surpluss store for around $10-15. If you look around you can find them 3' wide not the standard 2'. They are very comfortable, water proof, and insulate you very nice. I shot today with BM11 and we laied on snow/ice for 2+ hours and the mat never got cold to the touch. The other nice thing is your legs dont get wet when inposition. My favorite thing when shooting in very dirty and dusty conditions I dont have to put my rifle in a dust covered carry case, my OCD dosent do well with that.Here is a link to what I mean:
http://www.armynavydeals.com/asp/products_details.asp?ST=2&SKU=4088

thats just my .02

Grand river tactical really does produce quality stuff. Having said that, I prefer a separate shooting mat from my drag bag, as you can really get your shooting mat dirty.

I used both the Eagle HSRC and a dedicated tactical tailor shooting mat.

The Tactical Tailor mat is the most comfy that I've had the chance to use. It's super durable and very insulated. I've used it on snow without issue.

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/shootersmat.aspx

Based off of what gear I'm bringing shooting, decides which mat I'll use. If I'm hauling 2 rifles, and gear, I'll use my double rifle dragbag and attach the mat to a snaphook on the case. If it's just one rifle, then I use the HSRC, which doubles as a shooting mat.

My HSRC gets filty. One thing I wish they did was add some extra weather protection to the flap that goes under your knees. It's just one layer of cordura.

I dont know why I looked in this thread. It is going to cost me a few hundred $$$. I had never seen combination mats/rifle cases like these before............

Ordered my Mat/Case from Nick today.

Can't wait to put it to use!