• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting muffs

[email protected]

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2012
I've been using some cheap winchester walmart ones, I want to get some nice ones (not electronic) that really dampen the blast, I feel like this year my hearing is a little dampened. Any ideas?

Why not electrictronic? Muffs alone don't work for me. I have to double up. My howard leights and plugs work great together.

I had a pair and they broke already. Doubling up is a good idea. You don't get the banded ones, just the plugs them self?

MSA supreme with the silicone hygiene pads are the best hands down. they come with a 3 or 5 year warranty and have been well worth the money (about 300 bucks).

I had a pair and they broke already. Doubling up is a good idea. You don't get the banded ones, just the plugs them self?

Stuff breaks and much like anything else in this area of interest...you get what you pay for. If you don't mind me asking, what electronic muffs did you have that bit the dust on you?

I have had the same set of Peltor electronic muffs (original Comtacs) for nearly a decade and aside from batteries and replacing the cracked/worn out/beat to hell ear cups/rings/liners and covering the headband portion the electronics feed through with one of Triad Tactical's covers as mine was beat to hell, the electronics have never failed me once in thousands of hours of shooting. When they do finally go, unless something better comes along in the meantime, the MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X will replace them. Get with Steve at Triad and he'll be able to work with you on a pair if that's the direction you end up going.

In terms of the "best" non-electronic muffs, in low profile configs, that I have found, gifted to others and carry as "back-ups" for my electronic are from Howard Leight in their slim/slimline/etc. (don't recall the exact model name/designation) range with NRR of ~25dB.

They were Howard leights, green ones. They worked good but one day they just stopped muffling the noise. Put new batteries in them and checked all the wires, nothing. Thanks for the ideas!

I've been using some cheap winchester walmart ones, I want to get some nice ones (not electronic) that really dampen the blast, I feel like this year my hearing is a little dampened. Any ideas?

I have annoying tinnitus in my left ear and hearing loss in that ear from years of shooting. Growing up I never wore ear protection. So, I have done this research, especially since I shoot a 50 bmg. Pro Ears i think are the best. They offer electronic and non electronic that have the highest reduction rating i have found (33nrr). The non electronic are only like $35. i even take it a step further and use plugs as well. Howard light makes 33nrr plugs. Midway sells a huge canister of the plugs for not much. Needless to say, my 50 doesn't phase me when I double up with that!

They were Howard leights, green ones. They worked good but one day they just stopped muffling the noise. Put new batteries in them and checked all the wires, nothing. Thanks for the ideas!

The electronics don't muffle the noise. The ear muffs themselves do. If the electronics aren't working they should work just like any other non-electronic ear muff.

Well it's loud when my 300 WM goes off, loud enough for me to throw it away after 1 shot! Im going to check out the pro ears, thanks!

Last edited: