• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Shooting my first prs match tomorrow

Northfl

Keepin the lights on
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2018
Jax fl
After shooting fclass for a few years i am moving over to prs shooting, will be shooting the mpa 1 day southeast match in blakely ga.
having lots of feelings from nervousness, anxiety, excitement wondering how it will all shake out in the end. All that kind of stuff.
i have watched tons of videos and think i am ready just first match jitters i suppose.
i expect to learn alot of what to do and not do and roll in dead last. I think it will be fun and another rabbit hole to go down

Reactions: Covertnoob5
My first match ever of any kind was a three day National 3 gun match. First day, first squad, who do you think is first up? Moi. It was a shotgun heavy stage. I parred out with targets left and about as many rounds on the ground as I fired. It got progressively better pretty quickly that weekend. But that first stage was quite a shitshow. Buy the end of the weekend I had even beat Lena Miculek on a stage.

Best of luck. it will go better than my first stage - it would be almost impossible to go worse.

The only thing to worry about is whether you have enough ammo to finish or not. If you do then rock on.

I took a backpack, my 2 mtm boxes of loaded ammo and a rear bag to my first comp and was adequately prepared.

You wont win. So dont concern yourself over that lol.

You wont win. So dont concern yourself over that lol.

:ROFLMAO: You will be all sorts of shaky/sweaty nervous on the first stage. If like me your first stage will be a shitshow because of it. After you get the first one out of the way you will have fun. I hope you get in a good squad, by watching and talking you will learn a lot. Have fun and get your credit card on ice, it can be an expensive rabbit hole.

Good luck. The jitters will pass pretty quickly Just relax and enjoy yourself. Don't worry about where you place. As long as you're having fun it doesn't really matter

Reactions: acudaowner
you can do it . good luck and best wishes video's are always welcome good or bad

Tell us how it went. It’s fun and exciting and nerve wracking all at the same time. My first stages at my first few matches I was so excited and nervous I had buck fever bad. Reticle was shaking all over the place. I kind of miss that a little bit. Not the shaking but how exciting it was as a new shooter.

Well that sucked. Actually it was pretty fun!! I learned i have a lot to work on. Position building needs work ,relaxing needs , time management needs work.
my dumbass forgot that i can turn the power down on the scope so i was having trouble picking out some of the targets. And a whole shit ton of other stuff needs work, but i will work on all of that in the future and hopefully improve the next match

Great that you enjoyed it and found what to work on. I tell people you will get more out of one match than shooting 5,000 rounds from prone or a bench.

It’s a big step to go to a match and compete (perticipateia what i say i do).Hopefully you are going to stick with it and go to another. You’ve seen things to work on and now you can improve for your own betterment. Good job!

Reactions: LC 6.5 Shooter
It’s good to get that first one out of the way. Good on you for doing it anyway. You now have an idea how it works and some basic things to work on. Choose only a couple things a to work on and get better. Then do it again.

My first match was a humbling experience. I had no idea what the little blue box was for at first. Be careful though its slightly addicting.

Yes it was absolutely humbling!! I will do more and already thinking about another rifle. I have a barricade i built for the back yard and taking to the range. Gonna start on some shorter distance positions to try and get rid of tje wobble affect i have for now anyways. Hopefully i can improve on some things before the next match

Northfl, where are you located? I want to meet new people to shoot and practice with because I want to get into PRS style as well. I've thought about those Blakely matches and the others at Altus.

Northfl, where are you located? I want to meet new people to shoot and practice with because I want to get into PRS style as well. I've thought about those Blakely matches and the others at Altus.
Those are great places to get your feet wet. Good venues too.

Reactions: DamagedGuds
Guardian Long Range will have a two-day team match in November at GTI in Barnwell, SC. It is a decommissioned nuclear waste facility that is an awesome LR playground. They also do long range classes.

Government Training Institute
GTI Legion

Im in jax. Was going to rry and do the upcoming 2 day match in blakely but its sold out. Definitely gonna get into the may match. Checked altus last night and looks like the upcoming ones there are sold out.
eustice i will check into the south carolina place

lash, do yall have anything coming up down your way anytime soon???
I do t know of any at the moment, but have been out of the loop for a bit. I’ll check and if anything surfaces, I’ll let everyone know.

That would be great. I goofed around and let the mpa 2day match at blakely get sold out. Was so wanting to go and donate the entry fee to the prize table. Lol. Looking for others to shoot within a good driving distance. May have to hit alabama, louisiana, NC, or tennessee next month to get one more under the ol belt.

Tennessee has the K&M range that does multiple tournies a year plus the Southeastern Shooters Challenge. It’s a regional level match series. That will be my first big PRS match myself. You can sign up on precisionrifleseries.com and get all the match dates/locations.

Also, you can find the 2020 PRS rule book online and find the dimensions and ranges/target sizes of the Skills Stages for practice. I built a skills stage 2 barricade to their spec to practice at my local range. Here’s my project plus a couple straps and and slanted rail

Attachments

• DD77255D-5486-4122-92E0-FF69FA2979FB.jpeg
    DD77255D-5486-4122-92E0-FF69FA2979FB.jpeg
    159.7 KB · Views: 35
This is awesome! I always wonder how I can practice for PRS (though I've never competed but in one F-Class match). Thank you for the info.

I have a question: how does one practice over-barricade with no pillow or bag for the rear? I was trying on a bench but man I feel like my reticle was everywhere between my heart beat, slight movements, trying to focus on breathing. I hope I'm not thread jacking, just a question to hopefully help aid those that come here too.

I use my rear bag under the forearm and try to balance the gun. Fro there if I’m on the lower steps I put my shooting side knee up and rest my shooting elbow on it. My weak side hand rear against the barricade and holds the scope lightly. If I’m on the higher steps I use the same weak hand technique while standing. Bend at the waist and keeps your legs mostly straight. Gently press into the barricade. It’s not benchrest stable but with practice I can keep my reticle within a 1.5 moa target. By the way you can get pump pillows to go under your shooting elbow. I made one out of an old small backpack but I’d you google PRS pump pillow you’ll find tons. Hopes this helps

How much ammo should you bring to one of these matches?

Your typical one day match is about 100 rounds or so and a two day match is about 200 rounds. If you attend the previous day practice up, bring more for that. Best to check with the MD but bring enough.

Thanks! Is a sling needed? Between my strength and the weight of my rifle shooting offhand will be tough. Never used a sling. Do they really help that much? My rifle came with the cups for a sling. Is there much standing offhand shooting typically?

Standing offhand stages are rare in PRS matches these days, but it totally depends upon the MD and their choice for stages. In my opinion, it’s never a bad idea to have a sling and practice how to use it in unsupported positions. However, if you’ve never used one and haven’t practiced with one, you may just be better off not bothering for now, until you’ve practiced with one.