• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

shooting my new sps .308

herren2006

Skin that Smoke Wagon
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2010
alabama
hello guys, i got to take my new combination out to the range today. the setup was out of the box factory remington 700 sps tactical 20inch barrel. super sniper 16x42 with badger ordanance 30moa base and badger 1 peice rings. i was using target loads from georgia arms 168gr BTHP. after breaking in the barrel it was shooting under 1/2inch groups at 100yds. i didnt think it would be capable of this because of the stock. i was expecting like 1inch or so. im still going to buy a stock soon just because the hogue is trash.

Re: shooting my new sps .308

Yep, it's GOTCHA! You are addicted now. You watch, you will be changing and doing things later to that rifle.

Yes, get rid of that Hogue stock and put a HS Precision or Mcmillan stock on it.

I bought one about a year ago and mounted one of the current generation Millett TRS scopes on it. My initial break in ammo was some Portuguese ball . After the shoot and clean for about 40 rounds I put it on paper and with the same ammo it was sub 1/2 MOA.

I dont like the Hogue stock either, but I did trim some of the excess rubber out of the barrel channel.

I have a super accurate reload I am itching to try when the weather breaks.

i was thinkin the same thing about trimming the barrel channel. let me know about those reloads.

anyone else get these results with a new sps tactical?

Mine started as a VLS. I had the barrel cut to 22" and piller bed into a HTG, took the trigger down to 2.5#:
[img:left]
Picture112.jpg
[/img]

Shot this today, 5 shots at 100 yd:

[img:left]
targets001-1.jpg
[/img]

Most groups were .600 or under, but a guy loaned me his heavy bench rest vs. my cheap plastic one and I shot this. Not bad for a factory barrel!

hell no thats not bad at all. im hoping to get a new stock on the way soon so maybe my groups will tighten up.