• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting off a Pack

ZombieSlayer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2013
The Land Down Under
As someone who spend most of his time shooting either off a bench setup or bipods when hunting I've not really spent much time off a pack. I had a quick ad hoc shooting session today to get a couple rifles back on paper after swapping some scopes around and all I had in the car to use was an old pillow which I jammed into my pack. Probably not ideal as it was fairly fluffy and not really something inherent to accuracy but it got me thinking about technique when not using a rest or bipod where you can consistently load up the rifle. Even more so I played with my hold on the rifle to see how much difference it made between what was basically free recoil and pulling the rifle into my shoulder somewhat and it did make some difference to POI.

Got me wondering if I was to spend some time practicing this and the techniques involved and whats better or worse in such a scenario. I didn't have my slings with me today either to try working them like you would shooting freehand or kneeling so that's something I'm yet to try or experience.

anyone got any insight into shooting off a pack? do you do anything different to a bipod? anything you've noticed? anything you've got wrong? anything you've found that's worth focusing on? Obviously something firmer than an old pillow would be better but when that's all you've got that's all you've got.

Last edited:
As long as you have your basic marksmanship skills down it really doesn't matter what you use in a pinch as long as it's not wobbly. try to incorporate a rear rest of some kind to stabilize the rear of the stock. I once use my binoculars turned up and rested a contender forearm on the rubber eyecups to take a caribou. Put the bullet where I wanted. Always try to rest it on something.

how heavy is your rig? To me if its a lighter rig a sling can get you to where you need to be. If heavier then definitely find a good support on front (ie your bag) and some type of rear support as mentioned above.

what did that pack ever do to you, that you want to shoot it ?

OP edited. OFF a pack. :D

how heavy is your rig? To me if its a lighter rig a sling can get you to where you need to be. If heavier then definitely find a good support on front (ie your bag) and some type of rear support as mentioned above.

Wasn't a good day, range was set up into a dropping summer sun so not a good start. Like I said was a rather rushed ad hock effort but still good fun and better than working..

Was a fairly lightweight rifle I was using. Remington 7600 (short ace skeleton buttstock, 16" light barrel, 1.5-6 optics), definitely not a LR or overly accurate rig but handy for some of the hunting I do. Pack was definitely not stable having only a pillow jammed in it which was probably not the best start but all I had available as I didn't plan or prepare for it. I just grabbed a few things and headed out the door. But the failings of the day have led me to search for better approaches for next time. Like I said I generally have a bipod as a minimum and use a pack or shoe or whatever I need for a rear rest if I need a rear. This is more about the general techniques that might be beneficial or better to use if when I need to do it in the future and there is no other option present.

A pack is not ideal, but in some conditions it's the best rest available. i.e. The mountains of assganistaN

Total pain in the ass and will rarely be the same platform you shoot off twice. Too many variables and screwing with it to work correctly; use a bipod or sling.

You need to see if you can find ScottyS on here he shoots off of a pack and does very well with it. He put some Hooks and Loods on pack and Rifle so it doesn't slip.
In fact I was thinking of doing some practice off of my pack because of him.

A member here posted awhile ago, I forget who but kudos to him on the great idea, mentioned that he made a fixed piece on the bottom end of his Alice frame, on the pack he carried.

The idea is sound if you're able to use a lightweight material that doesn't bend or flex, and can maintain it's shape.