• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting on Public Land - Colorado

rlsmith1

Legalize Freedom
Minuteman
  • May 1, 2019
    Midwest
    So I'm headed out to Colorado for a vacation with some friends and their wives in a couple weeks. Our wives found a spa fairly quickly so the guys have a free day. We will be staying in Beaver Creek and we'd love to go shoot for an afternoon. I'm from Iowa and have never shot on BLM land. I have seen maps that outline boundaries, but I don't really know what the "etiquette" or whatever is. Not asking for your favorite place to shoot but I'd appreciate some direction on where to look / how to find a spot to shoot.

I'm sure it's elk season out there, so should we just find something else to do? Don't want to sling a bullet someone's direction on accident.

Reactions: aljones_315
    hunting season in general isnt the best time to look for a shooting spot how ever maybe a local in that area might share something with you i can think of several spots in northern new mexico on blm to stratch out that would not in any way affect someones hunt but i got nothing for colorado

Now I'm reading there are quite a few counties with fire bans and from what I read Stage 2 means to recreational shooting... If there is anyone local with more knowledge on the area within a couple hrs of Vail / Beaver Creek, I'd love to connect here or via PM. Thanks

Reactions: aljones_315
    Think the fire ban is statewide right now.

This. Been some pretty bad fires.

Not to mention, the archery boys would probably be not-so-stoked to have someone out taking pot shots at rocks either right now either.

Reactions: rlsmith1
    Not to mention, the archery boys would probably be not-so-stoked to have someone out taking pot shots at rocks either right now either.

They have bows and arrows. He has a rifle. Not sure what's there to be concerned about.

Nothing makes your day like a blown hunt. There are quite a few guys out there with bird shot tattoos.

There is a gun range in Gypsum CO - off the I70 West take exit 140 make right then a quick left - walk on to the range and you have to pay 5 bucks for insurnace and sign a release - they have steel targets set up 200 yards and beyond - been there few times .. If your staying at Beaver Creek resort my brother takes care of their escalators daily early AM - 6:30 he says stop by and he can give you ideas were to go... ETA: He says the range is open and so far no restrictions on shooting even on BLM land as far as he knows - just no tracers or explosive targets.. FB page linky website linky below - FB page is more current info.

They have restrictions on shooting steel targets outside of bays ....

Last edited:
    Reactions: rlsmith1
    Thanks guys for the help! Archery elk is a dream of mine so definitely understand that one.

I'll check out Gypsum and the Beaver Creek escalators! Great info here.

Reactions: adubeau