• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting on your side

Bowhntr6pt

Private
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2006
Central Florida
Anyone have some pics or a place/site that has pics that show the way(s) to shoot on your side (rifle held at 90 degrees)?

Will be fitting this into training soon. Tips and suggestions welcome.

Re: Shooting on your side

do this ar15 make my ass look big ?
3gun125.jpg

Well at least BOLT's finger is out of the trigger guard....

Not sure what else in that pic you'd want to use for training.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well at least BOLT's finger is out of the trigger guard....

Not sure what else in that pic you'd want to use for training.
wink.gif
</div></div>

Just looking for tips reference leg placement, support arm placement, etc. Been trying it dry-fire with my bolt gun and man the rifle gets heavy FAST.

I was wondering if there is a<span style="font-weight: bold"> preferred technique </span>... seems in the shooting sports various techniques seem to pop up.

after having to do this in several matches......its better to shoot good than to look good......

hold overs and mildot optics really come in handy....its an aquired skill.

Agree with Bolt on the mildots, you can get pretty good at using them with some training.

I always shoot my glock gangster style just to keep my mind fresh on the 90 degree technique.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">do this ar15 make my ass look big ?
3gun125.jpg
</div></div>

try and keep the rifle in your shoulder... dont look like your affraid the rifles going to blow up any second... dont have a leg up and swinging around...that just makes the reticle do the same thing.

bassically if your comfortable, theres no arms or legs flying all over and your rifles in a repeatable state in your shoulder. then thats the position for you...

It's all about figuring out what works for you and your gear. Don't confuse "what works" with "what's comfortable". You want comfort, get a Snuggy. There ain't any way to be comfortable in armor and other kit when you start rolling on the ground.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's all about figuring out what works for you and your gear. Don't confuse "what works" with "what's comfortable". You want comfort, get a Snuggy. There ain't any way to be comfortable in armor and other kit when you start rolling on the ground. </div></div>

so dont plan to ever shoot more then a few shots in that position then...gotcha...

when your uncomfortable its because muscles are straining or your in a weird position you cant remain in for long. and if your bodies tremoring to remian in said position then your accuracy will show it. i dont know about you but im damn comfortable when i go prone. i can be comfortable prone in a bed of cactus.(exageration) and i dont even need your snuggy you recommended.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Textbook:
DSCF0717.jpg
</div></div>

this guy looks very comfortable... only thing i see is he brought his bench bag to the battlefield.. but i guess you could always trade your fist for that bag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kentactic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Textbook:
DSCF0717.jpg
</div></div>

this guy looks very comfortable... only thing i see is he brought his bench bag to the battlefield.. but i guess you could always trade your fist for that bag. </div></div> I always had my necessary gear with me to make a proper shot on the battlefield, but maybe I was always doing it wrong....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I always had my necessary gear with me to make a proper shot on the battlefield, but maybe I was always doing it wrong....</div></div>

i wasnt saying anything was wrong with your position there just that you could easily remove the sand bag and place your fist in its place... i dont know what your history is but if you infact were in combat you didnt really carry a sand bag for this position did you?

Not sand. I used poly pellets from a craft store, and they're much lighter. Rear bag I used dried beans. Five years as a USMC Scout Sniper, two theaters.

And it wasn't for the off chance I had to take a shot from a sideways position. M40A1's didn't have bipods, so we used either a rest like that or our asspack/ruck. Fist was last resort in a speed situation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sand. I used poly pellets from a craft store, and they're much lighter. Rear bag I used dried beans. Five years as a USMC Scout Sniper, two theaters. </div></div>

10-4 duely noted... i recall you helping me with a parallax question if im not mistaken.

now would you carry these bags for all platforms or only ones not outfitted with a bipod... or ones with a bipod you only carry the rear bag?

EDIT: your edit answered my question.. thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kentactic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Textbook:
DSCF0717.jpg
</div></div>

this guy looks very comfortable... </div></div>

You see a plate carrier, ruck, helmet, gas mask or any of the other equipment that exists on the street or battlefield? Nope...because THAT picture is on a range.

Add an extra 50 lbs of gear and twist your body into shapes the armor wasn't made for and you aren't going to be comfortable. Doesn't mean I can't be accurate, just means it ain't fun.

oh yeah......did that once with a gas mask on.....(boltripper never humped a ruck ....but do got a padi card)......

it was not pretty

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You see a plate carrier, ruck, helmet, gas mask or any of the other equipment that exists on the street or battlefield? Nope...because THAT picture is on a range.</div></div>

Yeah i dont own any Body armor, Gas masks, or a Helmet.. whos running around the street geared up like this?

but if i did own these things youd see me wearing them at the range because i like to train in all my gear...

When firing from ALT positions, a good sling is a must. If it is fitted properly it can support almost the entire weight of the rifle.

OW

Other than for familiarization, I wouldnt "practice" on my side. I suppose I would, to familiarize myself, imagine situations, picture the shooting constraints presented, then get into positions with my rifle. I for sure would try and imagine what the recoil would do in that position before I shot. Like someone said.; scope in face= bad.