• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting prone with crescent butt plate?

Nightcap

Private
Minuteman
Oct 9, 2019
My rifle has a crescent butt plate which is perfectly fine while shooting seated, is pretty painful to shoot prone. I've tried adjusting the plate height/cant/etc along with the comb height (while still allowing for proper sight alignment) but I'm almost wanting to find a flatter replacement pad or bubba off the points with a razor.

Am I missing something critical here or is shooting prone with a crescent butt plate just not commonly done for this reason?

unique-alpine-tpg-3-a4.jpg

I would re-shape it on a disc sander, the same way buttplates are ground to fit shotguns. Flatten and re-contour on coarser grit, and then switch to a finer grits by hand for the final finish. You can make it look "factory" with a little time and care. I would remove the plate and mount it on some type of holding fixture (small block of wood) to have something to hold on to better and keep my fingers away from the sander during the grinding operation. I would also place a piece of tape across the thinnest portion of the plate to mark the original thickness I don't want to go below.