• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting Prone With Glasses

mdesign

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2004
Nebraska
My vision is getting to where I need glasses but in trying different styles of frames I find that I'm always looking over the top of the glass when I'm trying to shoot prone.

Any recommendations on something that works?

You can try contacts. I did that 20 plus years ago but just couldnt deal with jamming a finger in my eye and having them pop out.

I need glasses with iron sighted rifles. I didnt get anything special but somehow they work okay. Behind a scope I set up for my eyesight and use non scrip safety glasses.

If you are lucky enough to have an optometrist that shoots he should be able to set you up. There are optometrists on line that sell "shooters frames" that you may find through Google.

Forgive my ignorance here.

When shooting through a scope, is it not possible to adjust the scope to fit your eye sight? My grand father and I would go hunting together, but he couldn't see through my scope without his glasses but I couldn't see through his because he set it up without them. Just a thought.

Also an old timer I used to shoot pistols with had his optometrist build him a set of bifocals with the magnifier on top so he could see the sights.

I used to shoot with safety glasses on and would have to cock them to the side to be able to see. That is until I shot the same gun off a bench and my poi was off. Then I shot it prone without glasses. Poi was off again. This was in a rifle class. The instructor showed me how much parellax there is in even expensive sunglasses.

Bigbear, it's not a matter of focus, it's that we with glasses lying prone do not have enough glass area to accomodate the strange angle that our necks are in to see through to the scope. Like the op stated, most of the time I'm looking over my frames.

I guess my question is, can you focus the scope to your Uncorrected eye and bypass having to use glasses all together?

Last edited:
40xs is correct, its not a mater of focus. In fact all of my shooting with these special glasses was with iron sights. The issue is the lens of standard glasses, or any optic as far as that goes is "correct" in the center and not as good near the edges. Therefore you should be looking through the center of the lens, or close to it. If you wear normal glasses and get into a prone position, you are looking through the top left corner of the lens (right handed shooter). This corner of your lens is the first place to get dirty from sweat.

By moving the lens farther from your face and over to the left, you can adjust it such that the lens is centered when looking through your sights (iron or scope)

Now, once you get done shooting, walking with these glasses can make you dizzy because its not in the right place. Put your regular glasses back on.

If you want to try it without buying the fancy glasses, wrap some tape around the bridge until it lifts the glasses up and away from your face, then try looking through your sights. It does help, but takes some adjustment and getting used to.

Reactions: archerforkids
I ran into this from a different perspective but same principle applies.
I needed to be able to see a pool ball up to 8' away from my head while crouched over a pool cue. I happen to like my chin on the cue so I had my head tilted way back so I could see. Muscular relaxation applies to pool shooting too.
My eye guy found me a set of frames that went way up and then we measured where the optical center of the lens needed to be so I could have the corrected center there. Dramatic difference. You will, depending on your eyes, need some regular glasses as there will be issues with walking in them.

Check out Decot Hy-Wyd's. Lots of Highpower shooters use them and they definitely get the glass in front of your eye when position shooting. I believe the website is something like sportglasses.com or something similar.

Good luck,
Erik

I guess my question is, can you focus the scope to your Uncorrected eye and bypass having to use glasses all together?
The reality of corrective lenses is that most often there is something more than just power adjustment going on. Many if not most people with glasses have an astigmatism or two that is corrected by the lenses. This cannot be corrected for just with a scope power adjustment. I wish that it could be.

Personally, I have no-line trifocals with the distance power on the top (standard arrangement) and find that I can shoot with them on, but have to keep pushing them up on my nose so that they set extra high in order to get the optimal sight picture without looking around the glasses frame.

I can look through binoculars and things will be magnified, but the view doesn't resolve well unless I have glasses on. Did you ever notice that all but the cheapest binos have removable eye-cups for glasses wearers? There's a reason for that.

Now, it's true that some people only have magnification issues that need correction. They can easily use the scopes focus to shoot without glasses as long as their prescription is low enough that they can adjust focus enough.

I'm not making this stuff up. My wife has been an optician her whole life, so I pick up a thing or two besides my dirty socks.

If you are looking for more information, search on vision astigmatism and get yourself an eye full.

Now, it's true that some people only have magnification issues that need correction. They can easily use the scopes focus to shoot without glasses as long as their prescription is low enough that they can adjust focus enough.

Thats me.

I am functional without glasses. I use them for work and shooting but usually go without. My scope looks clear without but iron sights forget it. I need the glasses.

Oddly with pistol I can actually see the front sight better without glasses but the target is an undefined smudge. With glasses and pistol my front sight is less clear but I get a better defined out of focus target.

Lately I have been having issues with close stuff, say seeing a headstamp on a case, and I think my 25 year stable low perscription may be changing.

Within limits.
Image focus: If you have to change the focal lengths within the scope to adjust the image focus to your eyes, you will be introducing parallax.

Reticle focus: You can adjust for reticle focus. That is what that adjustment is for. It adjusts the diopter to your eye. However, if you have astigmatism, that can affect how the cross hairs appear, sometimes to the point you see two or more cross hairs! For that, you need special correction. Your grandfather almost certainly was just adjusting reticle focus, as most run of the mill hunting scopes have factory preset parallax. That does little to nothing for image focus.

Eyeglasses causing parallax? I don't think so. First of all, glasses are fixed on your face. Your face is not moving around behind your glasses like it does behind a scope, which is affixed to your rifle. Secondly, if the image coming through your scope is parallax-free, it should not matter if the image is "bent" by your glasses. The reticle will still appear in the same place in relation to the image. What you see is what you get.

Same thing about having the optical center of your eye glass in line with the optical center of the scope while sighting. Shooting while wearing glasses with a normal optical center will not throw your shot off, the image just won't be as clear as it could be, and there may some astigmatism coming through as well. If your prescription is mild, you'd do fine with a normal set of glasses without having to worry about where the optical center is ground.

I searched and searched and drove all the local optometrists crazy until I finally settled with Safilo Team Elasta 4146 frames as they look nice, aren't made in China, and come in a narrow bridge. You want a high, inside corner as square as possible, and as close to your nose as possible. That's where the narrow bridge comes in. This frame is best for narrow faces.

JMO

The reality of corrective lenses is that most often there is something more than just power adjustment going on. Many if not most people with glasses have an astigmatism or two that is corrected by the lenses. This cannot be corrected for just with a scope power adjustment. I wish that it could be.

Personally, I have no-line trifocals with the distance power on the top (standard arrangement) and find that I can shoot with them on, but have to keep pushing them up on my nose so that they set extra high in order to get the optimal sight picture without looking around the glasses frame.

I'm not doubting you. I am truly ignorant to the subject as I don't have the personal experience. Just what I've seen others do.

... Lately I have been having issues with close stuff, say seeing a headstamp on a case, and I think my 25 year stable low perscription may be changing.
Lol, it's called getting older. It's extremely common for the eye lens to harden a bit as we reach middle age, usually causing some degree of farsightedness (where you have trouble seeing detailed things up close, but can see great far away). Like you, I am nearsighted (and have been since childhood), but once I reached about 50, I suddenly was also farsighted. Thus, the progressive trifocals. I can see detail items through the bottom of the lens, computers and mid-range things through the center, and long distance through the top (driving, shooting, etc.).

I'm not doubting you. I am truly ignorant to the subject as I don't have the personal experience. Just what I've seen others do.
Hey, there's no reason you shouldn't doubt me as you don't know me from Adam. That's why I thought a touch of clarification might help. And sensing that you might not be a glasses wearer, I included the suggestion of what to search for if you wanted to learn more.

[MENTION=34518]M40_A1[/MENTION], I like those Safilo Team Elasta 4146 frames you mentioned. Bigger than what I normally wear, but not as huge as some options and would probably be perfect for shooting prone. I'll ask my wife if she can get them, or similar frames, for me.

Yeah, they're kind of medium sized. I never could get used to looking through the slit lenses that are popular nowadays, and I didn't want big bug eye lenses either. I also like how the frame is thin and matte, so almost no shine and inconspicuous.

By the way, I love your avatar. Alligators are a big passion of mine.

Another trick to wearing glasses in prone is to wear ear muffs. You can turn the glasses to the left so they are more in line with the scope, and the muffs will hold them in place. I even wear ear muffs for small bore for that reason.

Yeah, they're kind of medium sized. I never could get used to looking through the slit lenses that are popular nowadays, and I didn't want big bug eye lenses either. I also like how the frame is thin and matte, so almost no shine and inconspicuous.

Those with strong prescriptions will want to avoid too large of a lens - the image off-center can get extremely distorted. I have a set of safety glasses with very wide lenses, and my peripheral vision is pretty much like looking through a fish bowl. But too small isn't any good, either. The sort of dorky plastic frames that have been in style for the past few years actually work fairly well.

Another trick to wearing glasses in prone is to wear ear muffs. You can turn the glasses to the left so they are more in line with the scope, and the muffs will hold them in place. I even wear ear muffs for small bore for that reason.

Yep - I've noticed that the ear muffs hold my glasses well enough to make some fairly large adjustments in position. An adjustable lanyard can also be helpful.

The cheap bastard here has used the old style Ray-ban's and even my old safety glasses for years as highpower glasses. When shooting prone, I use an ear plug (like the mushy yellow kind) where the nose pads are. When correctly placed, the ear plug raises the glasses to a point where "I" can see the target well through the sights.

I do own knoblochs, and champions, and Vargas, and a few other pairs of shooting glasses. But, when shooting a gas gun, I prefer a bit of protection from possible issues.

Reactions: Slo cat
By the way, I love your avatar. Alligators are a big passion of mine.
Thanks. I live on a lake in Florida, so they are a common sight for us. After a while, you get used to them just like any other wildlife in a locale. I find them fascinating in the way that they are so little changed from their prehistoric ancestors. Sorta like mini-dinosaurs.

Bad idea not to wear safety glasses while shooting. Wait until your first case head separation or primer letting loose. It will never happen to you until it happens to you. Eye sight is too precious to risk.

I have been shooting with glasses for years. Maybe my neck bends more than others but when I am behind the rifle My eye is looking straight into the scope. Not over the top of my glasses. I have a short fat neck too. OP have you tried to position your head differently?

Rob01 - I wear Oakley glasses when shooting and the frames fit and hold position very well. My problem is not magnification but loss of clarity due to an increasing astigmatism in my right eye. Prescription glasses help this and yes, Oakley offers prescription glasses but at a price that is more than it is worth to me.

I have been working on head position but have not found the right spot yet. I also have not found a set of frames that has the fit I need to keep them high enough on my nose to make it work well which is why I posed the question.

I'm going to take a look at the frames discussed in the earlier part of this thread.

A lot of us LR prone sling shooters use Randolph Rangers with adjustable nose piece where you can adjust the heigh depending on position. A pair of frames should last a good 10 yrs. I have one pair that is past that age and still going.

I see what you are saying MD. I have an astigmatism as well and it sucks. Hopefully those glasses will help you out.

Noticed that Rob and I appeared to be running similar style stocks but his cheek piece is lower. Today when I went out to shoot, I lowered my adjustment all the way down. I went more to a jaw weld than a cheek weld but the groups were good and my eye more centered in my eye glass frames. Not really the solution I wanted to go to but I think it will work well for what I do.

Now I can work on getting my RX right so the clarity come back. Shooting steel and distance is not an issue but the fine points of load development are tough when your lack of clarity make it difficult to set parallax or know if your point of hold is consistent.

I have some big old, fugly glasses that let me look through them without distorting the view of the scope. I'm not out to look pretty when I'm at the range, so who cares (Steve Urkel).

Occasionally I will also shoot a scoped rifle sans glasses, but not too often. I have to have them now for any iron sighted work.

When I was a kid the doctor said my eyes were better than most astronauts. Now that I'm an old fart I have to wear glasses for hunting. I guess I'm still getting used to them. I have to say I don't like wearing them much.

One huge problem is that they will fog up in cold weather. Glasses that fit close to your face are the worst for that. I guess contacts may be a better solution, but I hate the thought of sticking something like that on my eyeball.

Then I had trouble with glasses falling off my face or down my nose. I got some frames with bigger hooks for around my ears. That seemed to help some. Then I bought one of those bands that you can cinch up behind your head. That seemed a good way to keep those glasses on.

One day I was hunting elk. I had my glasses squared away with that strap behind my head. I had a spooky little herd of elk about 350 yards away. It had a big bull, but all I had was a cow tag. I lay down prone to shoot. I tried to pick out a big cow. All I could see was the top frame of my glasses. I had a heck of a time tearing my glasses off, along with my hat, and breaking that damn little strap. Luckily the elk stood for a second longer, so I could get a shot off, killing a big cow.

So, what's the solution? I'm not sure there is an easy fix for all this. I'm learning from your posts on here. I need to spend more time wearing glasses when I shoot, and get used to them..... Most of the time I don't wear any, even when I'm shooting targets. I know that's not smart.....I did have a case head separation several years back. It was an awful feeling to have all those hot gases rushing back into your face and eyes. You'd think that I would have learned that I need shooting glasses on all the time.....I have three or four pair of them. I almost never put them on. I guess "Stupid is, as stupid does"!

Last edited: