• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Training Courses Shooting simulator

Slowroll

Cat herder
Minuteman
  • Jan 13, 2012
    Foothills of Mt.rainier
    Has anyone experienced a simulator worth a damn? Mil/le/civ? I was looking for a more productive use of a game room vs a xbox/golf simulator. I am looking any real life input with any brand or program. Golf programs we have installed for clients have run up to 75k. That is outta my network. But, I think it would be a welcome addition to my entertainment experience.

I’ll see if I can get the name of the ones I’ve used at academies and other LE training.

I’ve found them pretty good.

The one we used at FLETC looked gamey when you were observing. Once in the hot seat, you definitely took it seriously. The adrenaline dump and heart rate was shocking.

I'll ask around about the name of the system. If I hear back, I will update the post.

The Army used a system called the EST-2000 (small arms) for a while and may still use it. In my opinion, it didn’t simulate recoil very well, but the basic functions and fundamentals remained the same. We could take problem kids and work on basics like trigger control, sight picture and body position all day long. In the mechanized world, they use another system that is a replica of the inside of a BFV/MBT and you have all the same viewers that a modern fighting vehicle has. Simulations were pretty cheesy as far as targets and aftermath when engaging, but registered hits and kills so at least you got feedback.

Thanks for the replies guys. I have been busy planning our remodel here. On my brief google rabbit hole search. I found a couple that were really inexpensive and had lots of different scenarios, albeit some cheesier than others. Knowing that this system/simulator doesn’t have to be more than positive trigger time and feedback with a element of fun. Honestly shooting zombies in sim sounds like a great family entertainment experience. Having the option to get more “real” scenarios would also be helpful.
    being that our governator just put us back on lockdown i may have to choose sooner than later!
    thanks again for the replies, Will

Animal, In your opinion what constitutes a “good” one?

One with multiple branching, quick branching, lots of realistic and properly filmed scenarios as well as a shoot back option

Also, some use a projector that can be used on a paper background on a range so you can shoot your duty gun. CAPS does, I don't know which others do /

https://www.faac.com/milo-range/ someone also makes a civilian versions not positive on the cost but they do look neat in your own home stepping on the cat while you practice tripping over the furniture lol it could be fun though .

We have access to a Virtra 300. Very expensive, very realistic. Here’s a video from the manufacturer:

Bob Ferris, founder and CEO of VirTra, said the price of a simulator ranges from $150,000 to $300,000, with $200,000 a typical price.Sep 29, 2014

Very badass, just a lil outta my price range! I am leaning towards a smokeless trainer or the ses system. I would like to see how often it will get used at a lower price point, and understand the pro’s n con’s of such a system before I would step up to a more expensive system. Thanks for the all the info fellas.