• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting sitting with a tall bipod

st1650

Private
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2009
Just wondering what's the hide's opinion on how to be the most effective when shooting sitting. With a 13-27 Harris bipod and ARCA rail - are you not more stable by bringing the bipod back toward the magwell/center of gravity like with a tripod and or are you still more stable by having the bipod as far as you can and try to stabilize your shooting side elbow with a bag making contact with your knees ?

Also with tall bipods, they tend to flex quite a bit when loading them so should you use your non-firing hand on the front of the bipod to slightly pull back or should you use your non-firing hand in a more relaxed position ?

Yes what you seek is a tripod 😀

Running a bipod further forward I found more stable. Tripod I run more centered.

The issue I found most with a bipod no matter where I had it mounted is it always required some kind of muscle to hold or balance the rifle. Which leads to muscle fatigue vs using a tripod

I would cradle the stock in the crook of my elbow with my hand on my chest/shoulder. Or have my hand where the rifle and bipod meet. I found those worked best

Reactions: oldiephrt
I have a excellent carbon fiber tripod with the RRS Anvil head it’s just some days I’m helping my neighbor with her coyote problems and it’s nice not having to carry around the bipod. It’s still minute of yote for anything less than 250 yards but past that then definitely the tripod makes a significant difference.

I'd put the bipod further forward, since your body becomes the third leg of the tripod in that case.

I'd put the bipod further forward, since your body becomes the third leg of the tripod in that case.
This is what I always figured, but when sitting up, both bipod legs, and I are pretty tall, so any, or all three of those legs could get wobbly at the wrong time. (at least they do if they're around me) I have a tripod now, so I'm hoping that as I get used to that, it will help settle things down some.