• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting stage with rifle on its side

Dunraven

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2019
I've seen videos of a prs stage where the shooting position was next to the ground and it was necessary to shoot under the barricade, with the rifle laying on its side. How is this done? Is the windage part of the reticle now used for holdover since it is now vertical? Is elevation dialed the same?

The windage knob and scale are now your elevation and the elevation is now windage. You will need to do some shooting beforehand to see what the starting offset is. As the scope is over the bore, you originally zeroed by creating an upward bore angle to lob the bullet onto the crosshair. Now that you have the rifle on it's side, that has become windage in the direction you turned the rifle and all the gravity drop you dial on to zero is gone, so the impact will now be low and in the direction of the scope. How much depends on the scope height and cartridge along with the initial zero distance.

It's not a complicated problem to solve as ballistic problems go, it can be a simple entry in the logbook. Normally I would log settings to get a parallel bore zero. I want to get elevation dialed on (via the windage knob now) so I can dial range as required. Then I'd like the elevation knob setting to get the bullet directly on the bore line, that is offset away from the scope by the bore/scope height. Since that's rarely much over 2 to 3 inches, and I know what it is, I can hit POA=POI out to whatever range I can dial on/hold even on multiple targets.

The windage knob and scale are now your elevation and the elevation is now windage. You will need to do some shooting beforehand to see what the starting offset is. As the scope is over the bore, you originally zeroed by creating an upward bore angle to lob the bullet onto the crosshair. Now that you have the rifle on it's side, that has become windage in the direction you turned the rifle and all the gravity drop you dial on to zero is gone, so the impact will now be low and in the direction of the scope. How much depends on the scope height and cartridge along with the initial zero distance.

It's not a complicated problem to solve as ballistic problems go, it can be a simple entry in the logbook. Normally I would log settings to get a parallel bore zero. I want to get elevation dialed on (via the windage knob now) so I can dial range as required. Then I'd like the elevation knob setting to get the bullet directly on the bore line, that is offset away from the scope by the bore/scope height. Since that's rarely much over 2 to 3 inches, and I know what it is, I can hit POA=POI out to whatever range I can dial on/hold even on multiple targets.
thx. having never tried it, just couldn't get it straight in my head!

Yep. You basically now have a zero offset. You can either get that data on your own. Or use software that can solve it.

I believe they lapua app allows for cant to be input (90 deg).

You could sign up for the online training. Frank goes over it. I believe Frank called it roll over prone.

This was one of the shooting stages done at the first few International Sniper Competitions at Ft Benning. Best to have a second zero recorded, just not slipped, and additional basic dope if possible. Hardest part from what hear is the shooting position as fundamentals are almost non-existent.

If you have Strelok you can do a long press on the "Calculate!" button and scroll to the bottom of the HUD window and then tap the left or right red arrows and see the offsets for each.

Awesome. I didn’t realized they added this.