• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting Sticks

luvtolean

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2012
Boise, ID
Looking for a really lightweight field shooting support for when positions won't work with a bipod. I already have a heavier duty CF Manfrotto, but that beast is too heavy to carry for tens of miles. Could be a <span style="font-style: italic">really</span> lightweight tripod too I guess.

Searching for "Shooting and Sticks" gets the phone book, so any help would be appreciated. TIA!

Re: Shooting Sticks

I bought a "Large" tripod and SSP2 from Precison Rifle Solutions aka "PRS" a few months ago and brought it over to Iraq. I have been very pleased with it. Dan is easy to work with and has great customer service. The tripod is lightwieght yet very stable. I can use it from a prone position to a standing position and any place inbetween. I like it so much I will be buying a second "Large" tripod when I return to the states.

http://www.precisionriflesolutions.com/

I really am not sure why I forgot about him other than I'd been waiting for the Mediums to come back in stock.

Spoke to Daniel today and ordered.

I see you already ordered one, but in case someone else searches and comes across this...

For shooting sticks, I went to the hardware store and got two 1/2in wooden dowels and a 1/4in bolt and nut. Cut the dowels to 30in (no particular reason) and drilled a hole 4 inches from the tops, stuck the bolt through...presto! Incredibly light weight shooting sticks! Held up a 23lb prairie dog gun just fine. Total cost, $2.47.

Is it cool? No, looks like shit. Is it tactical? No, even spray painted they look like shit. But they were cheap and they work for the average HUNTER'S use (I'm not claiming they can replace gear for a stint at Rifle's Only).

Stoney Point (I'm pretty sure) makes a set of shooting sticks out of tent pole type stuff with bungee inside that fold up super compact and are very light.

I really like my BogPod I purchased from Cabela's. Its a tripod and waaaay more stable than a pair of sticks. The first time I was introduced to one was when I shot off one owned by a friend of mine. Held elevation from 100 to 500 kneeling and seated off the BogPod.

I always have it when going into the field now.

Go to Archery Store and get three heavy duty aluminum arrows without fletchings. Cover arrows with neoprin tubing. Tie with stripped out paracord and you have great set up

I used the wooden dowel rods for a while and had good luck with them. Only difference with mine was I used 3 of them and tied them together about 6 inches down from the top with 550 cord. Was really stable with 3 legs, but kind of long to carry. If you were using a pack of some kind they could be strapped to the outside without any issue though.