• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting straight with windage adjustments

Southmountain

Private
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2022
Maryland
I posted this on another thread but felt it’s more appropriate here, any insights appreciated.

I shoot straight on a certain bolt action lrifle when the front and rear sights do not appear to be aligned. When they are aligned (according to my eyes), it hits about 2 inches to the right at 50 yards. If I move the rear aperture sight (windage adjustment) left, then the shots start moving towards the bullseye.

So, when I'm hitting near bullseye in terms of windage, looking at the rear aperture, it visibly looks off the center of the barrel. The front sight, to the best of my knowledge, is pretty centered.

Is it possible for a barrel to just not shoot straight consistently? Or is this more likely to be a user error (i.e. me flinching)? The issue seems to be more exacerbated on a certain rifle than others but I don't have enough data to know that for sure.

I think you are confusing mechanical zero verses actual zero by moving the sights to obtain it.

The bullet doesn't lie. If it's going where it's aimed, then the sights and your marksmanship are working as intended. If it isn't, one of the two is deficient.