• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting the Guardian in CO

MD24

Private
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2022
Nevada
Hi all, I will be shooting my first precision rifle match in a little over a week. I mainly came here for the classifieds, but figured I'd say hello and see if anyone else here is also shooting that match. I'm coming into it looking to learn a lot and have a good time. This seemed like a great event for that purpose and as a bonus it's for a great cause. Currently just looking through other threads on here to make sure I have the basic equipment I need and some things to practice. It seems like getting in and out of different shooting positions and finding stability in those positions is one of the things people place a lot of stress on. Other than that, I want to get some practice with my new-to-me rifle prior to my late season mule deer hunt. I hope the competition bug doesn't bite too hard because god knows I can't afford that 😅😅

Welcome to the endless pit of shooting comeptitions. ha.

I happen to be the MD for this match. I am super happy to hear of new shooters coming out to have a good time. there will be quite a few rooks.

Ideas for the match:
Its going to he on the hotter side so the biggest thing is just hydrating.

You will be in a squad of 5-7 other shooters so if you dont have anything the others will let you borrow no problem.

basic equipment would be
-rifle
-bipod
-sand bag you can rest on a prop under your rifle forearm to shoot off of
-tripod wouldnt hurt but isnt necessary
-ammo
-10 rnd mags
-data on engaging a mover (pro tip put 1.5 mils on front edge and boom)
-data to 1000
-backpack to carry everything in

side stages on friday and a train p if you are interested. i would reccommend it.

other than that introduce yourself and looking forward to a good time.

DT

Awesome, thanks for posting up. I'm in the Vegas area, so it should be just a tad cooler than what I usually put up with. Water and liquid IV are part of my daily essentials, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I've got or have already got lined up to borrow everything you mentioned except data. That's the main thing I still need to get. I may luck out and be able to pull some from the friend who I bought my rifle from. I am signed up for the train up.

How many mags would you recommend bringing?

Since you are a FNG, with this competition I would live to see an AAR, from your perspective if possible.

Shoot straight, and shoot often!

Gary, Josh and Garrett are great people!

Enjoy the match, be encouraged by someone there more experienced than you and find someone less experience whom you can encourage.

I’ll be there shooting with son(adult) it’s his first match/training too. He is coming up from Cedar City.

All good advice so far. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself and be ready to learn.

During training up be sure to get a solid zero and elevation dope for 600 yards. You can create good dope with that. See you Friday morning. Feel free to PM me to connect.

Reactions: MD24
There will be 3 of us coming from the Denver Metro for the match - 2 shooting, 1 watching.

Haven‘t done the Guardian match before, but I at least am looking forward to shooting there.

I’m bringing my same gear that I always take to my range, though I did just replace my tripod.

If you go, look us up - last names are Harms, Brody & Schmidt. See you there!

John

Reactions: D_TROS and MD24
I've almost lost count, but I think I've shot five Guardian matches over the last few years. There's no better way to get acquainted with precision rifle competition. Here are a few thoughts.... many of these are standard advice to new shooters.
  • This one is easy: Be ready to shoot when it's your turn. Learn which two shooters shoot before you so you're ready. ROs will call out who's up, on deck, and in the hole as the stage progresses.
  • You'll time out on stages. That's the way of it as you learn. Put more emphasis on getting off a few good shots than flinging more rushed hail-mary shots.
  • Ask questions. If you are totally new to competition, you won't know what questions to ask. So maybe something like, "What do I need to know for this stage?"
  • You already know about hydration, sun protection, etc.
  • Keep your ammo and rifle out of the sun insomuch as possible. Hot ammo will likely shoot to different impact points compared to "cooler" ammo.
  • Bring a wrist coach or some other means of writing down ranges and scope settings for each target on each stage. I didn't know to do this in my first match, so there's a photo of me with a grungy envelope dug out of the bottom of my range bag with ranges/settings scribbled on it lying beside the rifle. If the wind had been blowing... not good.
  • The preceding presupposes you have a ballistic calculator and know how to use it. At the least, you need observed dope from 100-1000 yards for your rifle so you have an idea what scope setting you need for a given range. Yes, this is basic, but I've seen people show up who didn't have this info. At one Guardian, a very old guy showed up with a deer rifle and a desire to try. One of the top shooters equipped the gentleman with his backup rifle and ammo and guided him through the match. Lifetime memory for all involved. That's the Guardian. Lots and lots of stories like this.
  • Bring a pair of binoculars and make sure you look at targets so you know where they are and what they look like.
  • Avoid scope settings over 12-15X. Again, at my first match, I didn't know any better and had my scope cranked up to max. I was effectively looking for targets through a soda straw. When I found one, I shot at it. And missed. Repeatedly. While the RO on glass said "You're on the wrong target."
  • After every stage, set your scope back to zero before setting for the next one. Even with a bunch of matches under my belt, I still forget this occasionally. Early this year, I shot a rimfire match. The day before, I ended a practice session with 400-yard targets, which require very close to 20 mils (two full turns on the turret) of "up" on my rig. So, on first stage, targets was 75 yards... easy peasy. I missed every time, ROs are like, "Uh, we got nuthin'..." and about 6 shots in the light came on... yeah. I hadn't reset my scope from the day before and I was 20 mils high - around 50 feet over the target.
  • If you purchase any raffle tickets for the prize table, and are fortunate enough to get an early draw, you might want to ask an experienced shooter to help insure you make an optimal pick. I've seen brand-new participants lose an opportunity to pick up very valuable/useful gear because he/she didn't know any better. Make this arrangement beforehand, because, if someone walks with you, they won't be listening for their own numbers to be called.
  • When Larson does his "key" talk and presents whatever else is in place for local orphaned/fostered children's services, you'll see what the Guardian is all about.
Enjoy the match. I'm way too old&decrepit to place high on leaderboards anymore, but as long as I'm able to shoot matches I'll participate in the Guardian. You'll see why.

MD24,

Matches are FUN, or they're supposed to be! :) So, have fun. If you need to borrow equipment, most shooters will share. As @DownhillFromHere mentioned, Sunscreen & Water are huge. Be sure to hydrate and bring a couple of hats. Eric B. and I are shooting the CD Team Safari coming up (hike & shoot) and I'll bring two hats - one brimmed hat to hike with and one baseball style to shoot. For Guardian, I'll still probably bring both.

Not sure if you have "bags" packed for your range trips, but I do. I have two bags for shooting at my range - first bag has my magnetospeed for checking velocity on that day's range day if I'd like, tools, various lubes, greases & cleaners - but not enough for a full cleaning, targets and plenty of extra crap that I don't always use for LR steel; the other bag is my "shooting bag" it's the same bag that I normally take for every range trip - includes rangefinder, ammo, bore snake, tools, small bottle of gun oil, shooting glasses, ear protection - and some spare foamies, timers, shooting bags/plates, spare longer bipod, kestrel, clean-filled hydration bladder, tripod, belt mag carriers ( have 2, only one is usually on, so I do have a spare), a couple of pens and some data cards, etc. (BTW, I have made a shooting bag list and I do check it - but I'm lazy at the moment to look at it so I'm going from memory) - and there is likely more small stuff that I'm forgetting too.

For Guardian, I've also taken all my pistol items out of my bags - and everything that I know that I WON'T need for that match. If I think I may need it, I'll put it in the (first) bag and keep it in the truck, not the shooting backpack.

BTW, for backpacks to carry your crap at a match, there are some really great ones out there - and they're pricy too. I've sort of stuck with 311 bags and use either the 48 or 72 hour bags for my shooting bags. I have both and I tend to only use the 72 hour bag, but it's never full - but with a tripod attached to the side of the bag it carries better. Oh and on the bottom of either bag is a rolled shooting mat, just in case.

Finally, I tend to bring too much crap with me - and it tires me out carrying everything all day. I'd suggest that you carry only what you know you'll use, but that take time and more practice/competitions to figure it out - so be patient.

One last, most shooters carry 2-3 shooting bags. It'll take a while to figure out what you like best. Just my $0.02, figure out what stages you do the worst on, then buy bags for those stages. For me it is always the free standing barricade - I suck at it and I'm old and creaky, so finding a position that shoots best for me has been tough - plus with two hip replacements and two rebuilt shoulders, my small stabilizer muscles are the best at holding me in position - but again, that's me. Tank traps, improvised shooting positions - except the barricade - I'm pretty decent on a good day. Barricades still kick my a$$. :) Anyway, back to bags, I've found that for me, a plate on the ARCA rail, then a bag gives me more stability for good barricade shots - for me just a bag doesn't cut it. You will need to figure out what works for you - a low key match like Guardian fits that bill nicely.

Anyway, I'm rambling a bit and need to get back to work. See you there!

John

I've been shooting the guardian matches since the very firs one Gary held at bang steel.. You will have fun and learn tons. Good luck. please keep us posted on your experience.

Last edited:
Match went smoothly. Cant wait to see some pics and reviews. Tough course of fire, good weather, and fun challenging stages. I wish the hiking wasnt so hard putting up targets and if I made one change I would make the targets 4" wider on whole.

DAY 1
The winner hit over 75% (which my goal was 80)
the average was a paltry 37% (which I wanted to be closer to 50%)
top youth hit right at 40% (10 yr old)
top tac was same at 40%
dont remember lady or gas gun

I havent seen dat 2 stats yet but IIRC the top 5 teams hit at or over 80% hit rate which was good to see. (1st-5th pl were sep by 4 pts)

PLease post AAR so we can make sure next year is even better!

Regards
DT

Im glad you posted this. I just signed up for my first ever match as well and wanted to ask the same thing. Im doing the Guardian south of San Antonio in December and Im already getting nervous about it. Sounds like it will be a fun weekend though.

Reactions: D_TROS
Im glad you posted this. I just signed up for my first ever match as well and wanted to ask the same thing. Im doing the Guardian south of San Antonio in December and Im already getting nervous about it. Sounds like it will be a fun weekend though.
Awesome! Don't be nervous, I can say this is an extremely friendly match for first time shooters. I'm almost done with my write-up about this event. I'm now planning to shoot the San Antonio event as well, so I'll see you there!

Reactions: jdhtejas