• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Shooting the Scar 17 and Scar 20 suppressed, need advice

Wiley117

Private
Minuteman
Supporter+
Dec 6, 2020
North Carolina, USA
Should the Scar cycle rounds normally with the gas regulator in the 3'o clock "suppressed" position even if there's no suppressor attached? I've been told no, it should only cycle rounds in the 12 o'clock "normal" position, and that it should fail to cycle a round or lock back on an empty magazine if it's in the "suppressed" setting and there's no suppressor, otherwise you risk damage to the scar from overpressure.

Others say it's supposed to shoot normally regardless, and the 3 o'clock suppressed setting just vents extra gas to mitigate pressure when a can is attached, but not necessarily so much that the gun won't cycle. What's the real story?

My Scars all shoot normally in both settings with no can attached. Should I use smaller gas jets?

How should the gas system be tuned to run with a suppressor?

I have a Scar 17 and a Scar 20, using the Surefire SOCOM RC2 7.62.

Thanks! But do you want to "gas it down" so that the suppressed setting will *not* cycle a round if there is no suppressor attached, or is that too far?
Yes. On the third setting your SCAR will (should) short stroke without a suppressor attached. Definitely makes it smoother shooting...in my opinion.