• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting Trailer

sdkidaho

Nobody
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2009
Idaho, USA
This isn't mine, it's off another forum but I thought that you guys would enjoy it. This guy bought a shooting trailer and is modifying it a bit. Cool stuff:

--------------------------------------
I just picked this up for a very good price off the classifieds on another forum, I thought I would share with you guys & see what you think.

I bought it for Ground Squirel shooting.

I've got a few modifications I'm going to do to it, I'll post up pics when she's 100%.

Lee

IMG_1758.jpg

IMG_1759.jpg

IMG_1760.jpg

IMG_1762.jpg

IMG_1763.jpg

Heres my favorite part.

IMG_1761.jpg

Re: Shooting Trailer

Some progress to report, Last Thursday, I was able to get the jack stands welded on the 4 corners of the trailer.

On Saturday I was able to fix the seat adjustments, the bracket the seats are attached to, were very very tight & required alot of effort to adjust the seats, so I took it apart & with a little finish grinding & a small amount of axle grease, the seats slide in & out with minimal effort.

After shooting off of it, I realized the tables were to long for me, the forend of the rifle barely reached the rest & adjusting the elevation on the front rest was a bit of a strech, so I decided to shorten both tables 4".

Next I started in on the table remodel, I got one table cut down, but it started to rain, so I had to pull the plug.

Here are the jacks on the back of the trailer, I would have put them on the sides, but it was a tight fit between the tail lights & the fenders & it would have required me to run the jacks up 100% in order to swing them up in place.

IMG_1812.jpg

Here's one of the front jacks, also next to the jack is where I cut off some angle iron & then painted over it with some rustoleum.

IMG_1813.jpg

Heres what I accomplished on the front table, I still need to recut the front brace to match the new location of the front rifle rest that is to be re welded on.

IMG_1814.jpg

After I get everything re-welded, I will cut down the plywood tables & cover them in the outdoor carpet I bought.

Then I am either going to re-sheet the deck with 3/4" plywood or run 2X6 Deck Boards, whichever is cheaper, whichever way I go I'm going to seal & paint it with some non slip safety paint I happened to have.

I'm leaning towards 2X6 deck boards, in case I ever want to use it for an ATV trailer.

Yesterday I finished cutting down the other table, cut the plywood table top, & re cut the front brace.

All I need now is to get it all re welded, my neighbor might be able to help me out on that, rather than having the mechanic at work do it, when & if he gets any spare time.

The next project is re doing the deck, then work on a EZ up canopy type set up.

I considered mounting the front rest on top of the table like this, but decided against it, in case I ever shoot off of a Bi Pod.

IMG_1816.jpg

Here it is ready to be tacked up, I'm 12 welds away from having the tables complete.

IMG_1818.jpg

Lee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: E3C3H3O3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">all that for shooting some squirrels, damn </div></div>

Ive seen $50k travel trailers converted into shooting rigs. The whole side opens up. They had a reloading bench and the whole shit inside.

I was vaccing some calves on a ranch in Mt when I see this thing come rolling through followed by a bunch of Range Rovers and a Mercedes SUV.

Two things I never thought I'd see on a shooting bench.
Scissor Jack
Boat Seat
eek.gif

We have a flatbed trailer that we set up to put our benches on to shoot prairie dogs. The trailer is used for other things so the benches and jacks are removable. We throw an EZ-Up canopy over the top and get to shooting. I saw a guy up in colorado that had a toy hauler trailer with the rear garage and he had it set up with a shooting bench and reloading bench with enough room for a 4 wheeler.

The only thing I would be sure to check on is the legality of shooting from it while it is attached to the tow vehicle. Here in Arizona you have to detach it from the tow vehicle for it to be legal to shoot from. They consider it a vehicle if it is attached to the tow vehicle.

Update:

----------------------------------------------
Here she is all welded up.

I'm hoping to get the tables painted so that they are sealed up tight & the carpet on this week.

IMG_1828.jpg

IMG_1829.jpg

----------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------
One down, one to go...

Outdoor carpet in a nice forrest green, with some 1/2" carpet padding under it to make it a little softer on the forearms & elbows while shooting.

IMG_1830.jpg

IMG_1832.jpg

Taking Blackfoots advice on some padding for the chest area, I put a double layer of carpet padding on the back edge of the table & folded the carpet over it to create a nice comfortable spot to lean your chest against while shooting.

I had to use self tapping screws & washers here to attach it to the table frame.

IMG_1833.jpg

IMG_1834.jpg

----------------------------------------

I wondered about rug burn's, I'll just be careful, but if need be I'll get a couple of elbow pads, who knows I might find something that gives some extra cushion, after all you do spend several hours at a time when your shooting squirrels or Prarie Dogs so extra padding is never a bad thing. :nutz

Here she is all finished up.

IMG_1838.jpg

Lee

That is some HILLBILLY ENGINEERING at its finest. Funny thing is we have been kicking around ideas damn similar. I'll have to pass that along to my buddies!

Looks like it would be a good set up. have thought about a truck mounted swiveled shooting rest and you have put some thought into it. Nice...