• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting Tripod

kenotic

Private
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2017
I am interested in getting a tripod for shooting. I have heard that RRS are the best. While I agree they are awesome, the price is also high. I was wondering what everyone else is using?

I've used a few over the years. I started with the Manfrotto with a ballhead and Hog Saddle. Several years ago, I got a Feisol 3372 and RRS leveling base through work and bought a 3342. I've since sold the 3342 and now have the PVA Comp 40, also with a RRS leveling base.

Im looking for one, as well. I just want something for plinking so I am not looking to drop serious cabbage for it.

Opinions on this??

Reactions: shooter98

I have a Feisol 3372 and a RRS Anvil-30. It works great. Tripod is solid and easy to adjust while not being too heavy. If you shoot from an Anvil-30 you will love it. They are expensive but very well made and far better than anything else that I have used.

Im looking for one, as well. I just want something for plinking so I am not looking to drop serious cabbage for it.

Opinions on this??

I have that tripod. Ordered it on amazon to avoid the wait. Search for Xiletu T284C. It’s chinese made, but it’s fine for plinking and more than adequate for stalking hogs/predators at night.

I have that tripod. Ordered it on amazon to avoid the wait. Search for Xiletu T284C. It’s chinese made, but it’s fine for plinking and more than adequate for stalking hogs/predators at night.

For the price, I am going to order that one and play around with it.

I bought one of the PIG0311-G tripods off of one of the forum members here.
So far I really like everything about it, it's not the lightest but it seems overbuilt for my intended uses and is exactly what I wanted.

I purchased a Leofoto LN-364c and LH-55 and have been really happy with it thus far. About half the total price of the RRS.

I usually use it for my binos or rangefinder. But it has no issues holding a 20lbs + AI

Attachments

• C8801875-F082-4CD2-AA15-86238A684BF1.jpeg
    C8801875-F082-4CD2-AA15-86238A684BF1.jpeg
    359.9 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Anyone know of any coupon codes for the pig tripod at hogsaddle.com? I think Im ready to pull the trigger on that and one of their ballheads.

I’m happy with my PIG tripod and HOG saddle but it is heavy. Looking at grabbing the new PIGlite carbon fiber model down the road

Does anyone shoot off the RRS leveling base alone? Doesn't this provide 15 degrees of cant? If so, can you make up the rest with leg adjustments and save some weight/complexity, say for varmint hunting?

I got a heavy duty tripod on Amazon made for camera equipment or similar then made up a mount from a heavy qd rail device.
Sucker works great for being under $100. Another great feature of the one I got is that one leg is removable and it can easily become a very tall bipod or even a monopod / shooting stick.

My first "research tripod" build for the purpose of fighting out what features I want/need was on a yardsale survey tripod made for a transit. Then mounted a rigged up screw adjustedable yoke. I tell ya what tho. It's not lightweight or compact but you can fire a 308 three feet off the ground with no shoulder on the stock. Haha

Opinions on this??

I also use one and have never had a thought of wishing I spent more. It works awesome.

Reactions: Lunchbox27
Does anyone shoot off the RRS leveling base alone? Doesn't this provide 15 degrees of cant? If so, can you make up the rest with leg adjustments and save some weight/complexity, say for varmint hunting?

Exactly, unless you need severe angle it's all you need.

I know I’m going to open a can of worms, but I am somewhat puzzled by why it is considered necessary to spend two or three hundred bucks on a tripod and head for other than competitive or professional needs. I certainly understand and agree that if you can afford it and want it , why not? But sometimes I think new shooters feel like they need to blow a bunch of money to get started which keeps some from pursuing the sport.

I am interested in getting a tripod for shooting. I have heard that RRS are the best. While I agree they are awesome, the price is also high. I was wondering what everyone else is using?

Last edited:
I have the Leophoto 364 and love it. You will see a bunch at any large match. It is solid and steady.

I know I’m going to open a can of worms, but I am somewhat puzzled by why it is considered necessary to spend two or three hundred buck on a tripod and head for other than competitive or professional needs. I certainly understand and agree that if you can afford it and want it , why not? But sometimes I think new shooters feel like they need to blow a bunch to get started which keeps some from pursuing the sport.

Open the can, brother! ;-)

I think tripods for shooting (meaning rifle support) purposes are an optional piece of gear for folks wanting to shoot PRS/NRL style matches but also kind be helpful for hunting. I sometimes hunt a blind or tripod stand and a shooting tripod is helpful in those situations. I can keep the rifle mounted and pointed in the general direction of where I am hunting. When the animal (mostly whitetail for me, but sometimes coyotes) steps out, I can be on the target with minimal moving and the tripod provides a very stable rest.

But I agree with you, casual shooters, guys who belly or bench shoot, etc... No need there.

Take care.

Reactions: Dougie308
I know I’m going to open a can of worms, but I am somewhat puzzled by why it is considered necessary to spend two or three hundred bucks on a tripod and head for other than competitive or professional needs. I certainly understand and agree that if you can afford it and want it , why not? But sometimes I think new shooters feel like they need to blow a bunch of money to get started which keeps some from pursuing the sport.

You are right, it is definitely a luxury item and in no way a mandatory piece of equipment to get into the game. To get started, you're a whole lot better off spending that money on a good bipod and a couple cases of ammo.

I don't compete, but I do spend a lot of time out in the field with my rifles. I have tried a couple of the cheaper options and ended up with a Feisol 3372 that finally made me happy. It gets used all the time for a number of different things.

I'm currently using a FotoPro Max carbon fiber tripod and it's getting the job done for now. Used for glassing and light rifle use. I ran into the new tripods from Bog and am very impressed with them. They had them at the NRA Show holding various rifles .338 laupua and under and people were handling them. If I didn't have my FotoPro I would of bought the Bog tripod.

Attachments

• 20190426_145920.jpg
    20190426_145920.jpg
    639.1 KB · Views: 101
I have a pig tripod and pig saddle. A little heavy but works perfect and was way cheaper than the others.

I would argue that it’s something that is very useful to a backcountry hunter if they have the means to buy one light enough to pack around the mountains. But you’re right; don’t feel like you have to buy all this stuff to get started.

Reactions: wingman7mag
My main purpose for buying one is for hunting. Works great to cover a lot of shooting set ups and very accurate to shoot off. As we know there is always trade offs to anything.

I purchased a Leofoto LN-364c and LH-55 and have been really happy with it thus far. About half the total price of the RRS.

I usually use it for my binos or rangefinder. But it has no issues holding a 20lbs + AI

View attachment 7090446
This is the same setup I ended up going with. Looks like it will be plenty for my needs.
Thanks for the pic...

Reactions: blbennett1288
I would highly recommend a tripod sling, I went for the TAB Gear and it's really handy

Tried the $99 silk tripod.

It just made me buy a $700 tripod after I realized how useful it was, and how incredibly flimsy the cheap ones are.

You don't need one though. A bag and a Harris are still the minimum investment.