• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting two brands of bullets... Accuracy problem

LARMIKE

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 9, 2009
SE USA
I shot sierras 77gr. and then shot nosler 80gr.cc my group was terrible@ 300yds. Any chance that the jacket material had an effect on accuracy? R/ Mike

Re: Shooting two brands of bullets... Accuracy problem

They're 2 different bullets, so they will act differently. To find the sweet spot for the 80 grain, you'll have to work up a good load in your rifle with it. The 80 grain should be a bit longer bullet than the 77, even though it's only 3 grain difference.

More likely a twist problem with the 80 grainers.

No it's not jacket material. The 80 grainer should be significantly longer than the 77.

77's are the pinnacle .223 bullet, heavy and highest bc possible while still mag feeding. 80's are purpose built ultra high BC long range, single loading bullets. They're sexy!

You'll have to have AT LEAST an 8 twist, if not a 7 twist to stabilize it. Run them hard & hot and see if they make perfectly round holes in paper.

I am not concerned with the length or twist I have that covered. (1-7.7) What I am asking is do you think that the jacket Material could cause problems, I shot a 196 6x @ 300 using a 77gr. sierra, then a few min. later I shot a 180 0x at the same distance with an 80gr. Nosler bullet. It has happened twice and I thought the jacket material may have caused this. But when I shoot the 80gr. sierras the problem goes away, so...

Is this factory ammo, or handloads?
I guess I don't understand why you're asking if it could be the jacket. If the rounds are handloads, and a certain powder charge was "picked" to shoot these bullets, then the rifle may not like this load. So, I don't think it's a jacket thing, I think it's just the rifle doesn't like the load you are feeding it. I would try working up a load with the bullet, and maybe switch powders. One of my 223's hated BLC-2 powder. It shot other powdrs very well, but nothing worked with BLC-2. So, try something different with it.

The reason I asked on the twist rate was because I suspected you might be on the edge of stability, I was trying to get an accurate picture before giving advice.

Chad seems to have covered it nicely from the load standpoint, so I'll stop there.

For what its worth the only time I ever see any difference is <span style="text-decoration: underline">after</span> shooting Nosler bullets. Dont get me wrong, I like Noslers, I use em, but if I start with 178 amax's, my normal load, and shoot a group then switch to 180 BT's the groups will be similar, but then go back to to amax and the group size will increase. I have not run enough rounds to find out if accuracy comes back or how many round that would take. Now understand this purely anecdotal, and I have not done any serious study of the problem, but when it comes to Noslers I use them in the guns that shoot them well but I dont switch them back and forth in the guns that i use hornady or sierra in. If I do mix em I just clean the barrel. As usual YMMV

I have researched this and have not come up with any real positive results (one way or the other) Maybe my rifle likes Sierra projos better. We will find out as I just ordered several thou. Hopefully so as I am heading to the Creedmoor Match next week. Thanks all !!! Mike

A couple years ago when I started getting into working up loads for my 223 Varmint Rifle, I bought some 55gr bulk Hornady Bullets. I could never get very good 200 yard groups and I didn't like the stopping power of the Hornady Bullets either so I switched to a 55gr Sierra bullet and worked up a load that would give me a quarter size group at 200 yards. I then took my most accurate load with the 55gr Sierra Bullets and loaded the same load with the 55gr Hornady Bullets and the Hornadys would throw three inch groups at 200 yards. I then loaded a Speer Bullet and got a different group than the other 2 Bullets.

So what I learned was that if you run out of your favorite Bullets your not going to run down to the store and grab the same weight Bullet in a different brand and have the same point of impact

I think what he is asking is that, both loads shoot fine just not when mixed. Fouling from one jacket material can affect the poi of a different bullet. I've seen it a couple of times, both times in .223.
You have two different loads that group very well, but one when fired after the other doesn't group well. Yes it can happen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TresMon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No it's not jacket material. The 80 grainer should be significantly longer than the 77.

77's are the pinnacle .223 bullet, heavy and highest bc possible while still mag feeding. 80's are purpose built ultra high BC long range, single loading bullets. They're sexy!

You'll have to have AT LEAST an 8 twist, if not a 7 twist to stabilize it. Run them hard & hot and see if they make perfectly round holes in paper. </div></div>

75's- 80's work well and can safely be pushed at enough speed for easy 1k shots. I don't think we can simply say ONE projectile is IT. Any decent projectile in this range will work well at long ranges. I run 80 Amax ONLY because they are much cheaper here. The 75's were ideal at the pressures I run. No need to run hard in my guns. I pick an accurate safe load. Running hot gains me nothing in real world conditions. I also have no need to watch temps or change from winter and summer loads due to stupid pressures like many do.

Mag length varies. In my Savages I can seat the 80's out far enough. In other guns I can't. Of course, you can easily change mag length in the Savages anyway
smile.gif