• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting using a tripod

mikethetiger55

Private
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2014
Has anyone ever encountered shifts in accuracy utilizing a tripod? My instance is completely on me but I used a Bog Death Grip on a recent hunting trip and didn't have the outcome I wanted on a shot - i.e. missed a deer at ~225 yards. Rifle was sighted in and I am trying to isolate variables, the biggest of which was I used the tripod on the shot and haven't practiced with it given our wonderful ammo shortages. I'm trying to figure out if the grip could have possibly interfered with the action/barrel, although I tried to anchor it near the action to prevent the stock from hitting the barrel. R700 in 7mag, using the factory synthetic stock (older Remington that is probably 15 years old).

The guns shoots, but I either lost my mojo or introduced some variable that I did not account for. I know the easiest answer is to take it to the range, utilizing the tripod, but wanted to check here to see if I'm crazy first. Several lessons learned on this trip, the most importance is practice, but of all the ammo I stocked up on, hunting ammo wasn't on the list.

Thanks

I haven’t done a ton, but recoil control is a lot more important. I was shooting my tikka 300 wm at 500 standing of a tripod and was missing high because I wasn’t holding the gun down enough.

Get the gun lower on the tripod so you can get as much of your torso directly behind it, mass behind it to keep it from pivoting up. Recoil will make it act like a pivot at the tripod feet to earth connection. You need to almost "load" it. The tripod us supporting the front, but you need to be ready to control it.

There is short video by Frank on shooting while standing how to orient the tripod, how high, how to lean into it, etc.

Thanks for the replies. It appears that the recoil management piece is what I failed to control. Again, I know it had to be user error and completely my fault for not practicing using it.

I typically have the rifle set up about mid chest height on the tripod so I can get a decent load into the tripod to remove wobble and suck up the recoil. Just make up sure to square up up behind the rifle and of course have two legs in the rear so you can put your support hand on the opposite leg to load in to it.

Reactions: MCHOG
I typically have the rifle set up about mid chest height on the tripod so I can get a decent load into the tripod to remove wobble and suck up the recoil. Just make up sure to square up up behind the rifle and of course have two legs in the rear so you can put your support hand on the opposite leg to load in to it.
Yup, if you are standing or sitting on flat ground, two legs in the rear, and perpendicular to the rifle so that the rifle recoils straight back. A little bit of lean into the tripod can help steady it and another recoil control method. The recoil doesn't push you back as much if you are leaning into it.

Makes perfect sense, thanks

OR miss ranged or something. Shooting off a tripod with no recoil control isn't pushing you off a 10 inch circle at 225y by itself.

It’s the exact same fundamentals as shooting prone, off barricade, tripod, etc etc.

Treat them all the same and your poi stays very close to the same (larger groups are possible with increased wobble).

Problems arise when you don’t treat them the same and then you get a lot of answers about “tips and tricks” to doing things. Also, you can shoot sitting, kneeling, and standing from tripod all the same way.