• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting with a sling. Which sling?

SanPatHogger

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2020
I have shot using a regular 2 point sling with my arm wrapped through it. I find it does help shooting offhand.
I think I want a sling with a cuff. I have read about them but don't know anybody who uses them or have ever seen one used in person.
Shooting off of props, fences, a branch of a tree.... I think it would help in all these scenarios.
I think I want this one. The guy in the NRL22 video does a pretty good job showing how it works shooting positions.

Is there something else I should be looking at?

The following is based on my experience using loop slings and other slings of various configurations so this isn't an endorsement or slam of any one particular product or category of product. IMO, loop slings help in traditional unsupported shooting positions like sitting, kneeling, or offhand where you're using the tension of the sling and bone support to gain stability. However, outside of those situations they don't bring a lot to the equation when shooting from props, fences, or other natural obstacles. In these situations I've found that using a front bag along with good body positioning can be just as or more stable then integrating a sling. I found that more often then not I mistook tension for stability and was actually fighting the sling more than it working for me. I took the sling away and found that I was more comfortable, more stable, and more consistent.

Modern loop slings that may have some additional features like a carabiner loop or fast adjustments bring some additional versatility to the table, which is great. Features like a carabiner loop are great for shooting off tripods or certain obstacles if you have time to set them up and get adjusted. Fast adjust systems are a great feature to have, especially if you're using the sling across multiple platforms or you're going to be actively moving and need to cinch the rifle down to your body.

For all practical purposes, a basic 2-point sling like a Magpul MS1, BFG Vickers sling, or a Viking Tactics sling is going to accomplish most of the things you might use a sling for with some practice. Unsupported sitting, kneeling, offhand or off a tripod those slings can help. I do favor slings that feature a loop though and whether I'm doing a 2-gun, gas gun, or long range match, I'm usually packing my Armageddon Gear PRS sling because it's a good jack of all trades kinda sling.

A good basic loop sling is the Magpul RLS, it's a good value for the money and will teach you the fundamentals of using a shooter's loop. The aforementioned AG sling is good to go too as well as most of the others that will get recommended.

Reactions: MotoSinge
The following is based on my experience using loop slings and other slings of various configurations so this isn't an endorsement or slam of any one particular product or category of product. IMO, loop slings help in traditional unsupported shooting positions like sitting, kneeling, or offhand where you're using the tension of the sling and bone support to gain stability. However, outside of those situations they don't bring a lot to the equation when shooting from props, fences, or other natural obstacles. In these situations I've found that using a front bag along with good body positioning can be just as or more stable then integrating a sling. I found that more often then not I mistook tension for stability and was actually fighting the sling more than it working for me. I took the sling away and found that I was more comfortable, more stable, and more consistent.

Modern loop slings that may have some additional features like a carabiner loop or fast adjustments bring some additional versatility to the table, which is great. Features like a carabiner loop are great for shooting off tripods or certain obstacles if you have time to set them up and get adjusted. Fast adjust systems are a great feature to have, especially if you're using the sling across multiple platforms or you're going to be actively moving and need to cinch the rifle down to your body.

For all practical purposes, a basic 2-point sling like a Magpul MS1, BFG Vickers sling, or a Viking Tactics sling is going to accomplish most of the things you might use a sling for with some practice. Unsupported sitting, kneeling, offhand or off a tripod those slings can help. I do favor slings that feature a loop though and whether I'm doing a 2-gun, gas gun, or long range match, I'm usually packing my Armageddon Gear PRS sling because it's a good jack of all trades kinda sling.

A good basic loop sling is the Magpul RLS, it's a good value for the money and will teach you the fundamentals of using a shooter's loop. The aforementioned AG sling is good to go too as well as most of the others that will get recommended.
Wow
Hell of a reply. Thank you.
Took the SAP off my wishlist and put the Armageddon PRS on.

Reactions: Eli17L
Look at the Rifles Only Bungee sling. Works great in positions.

Look at the Rifles Only Bungee sling. Works great in positions.

Now I want that one...

edit.... I like the buckle to break the sling in half and the adjustment tabs are sweet.

Last edited:
The SAP sling is great for slinging up to shoot. But if you use it to carry a 18lb rifle for three days you will hate it. To many buckles and straps it will saw you neck off. Great product for shooting not so much carrying.

Reactions: hlee
Now I want that one...

edit.... I like the buckle to break the sling in half and the adjustment tabs are sweet.

Yup it is nice if needed and it's also fast to get in and out of and easy to adjust.

My experience is with scout rifles where the sling is intended to be both a carry strap and a shooting aid. These are not the same tasks. In my experience, the Ching Sling offers a LOT of stability in shooting but is a big compromise in carrying American style (muzzle up, over the strong side shoulder). It is fine for African carry (muzzle down, support side shoulder). It is very fast to get into and offers nearly the stability of a cuff style sling.

If you don't want to add a third swivel, I like the Rhodesian style slings. My preference is Andy's at www.andysleather.com but the Magpul is essentially the same thing in nylon. The only issue with the Rhodesian style is that it isn't quite at supportive as the Ching and you've got a decision to make about putting a twist in it. If the forend is short, you'll want a twist in the sling so it doesn't cut into your wrist when looped up. That twist makes carrying American style problematic. If your forend is long enough to keep the twist away from your hand when slung up, you don't need a twist.

If you're not familiar with these types of slings, I did a video a few years ago that explains the differences and how they are utilized.

When I shoot standing, the sling is just an accessory...... Oh, wait, I think I just walked into the wrong bar.....
USPFC_00337.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: gunsnjeeps
When I shoot standing, the sling is just an accessory...... Oh, wait, I think I just walked into the wrong bar.....
View attachment 7853192

So I'll throw the proverbial turd in the punch bowl here.

DCM/CMP rules prohibit use of the sling in off hand. The historical argument is that it does nothing to tie the skeletal structure together in that position. Yet NRL and others advocate it being used from off hand as it does seem to make you steadier.
Given the shooting jacket and elbow on hip it is it not silly to discard the use of a sling when rules allow it?

Would you consider the MS1 padded for an all-around carry/field shooting sling? I’m looking to try a shooting sling on a hunting rifle; unsupported, field supports, and tripod use, but I don’t know that I want to carry a 10-12# rifle on a plain nylon strap.

FWIW I don’t see what the MS1 (either version) offers over a claw (comfortable enough and they stay put) for my use, but maybe I’m missing something. Read quite a few threads on here, and it seems most recommend a loop/bungee sling like the Rifles Only or AG, but none of them seem like they’d carry well at all.

Would you consider the MS1 padded for an all-around carry/field shooting sling? I’m looking to try a shooting sling on a hunting rifle; unsupported, field supports, and tripod use, but I don’t know that I want to carry a 10-12# rifle on a plain nylon strap.

FWIW I don’t see what the MS1 (either version) offers over a claw (comfortable enough and they stay put) for my use, but maybe I’m missing something. Read quite a few threads on here, and it seems most recommend a loop/bungee sling like the Rifles Only or AG, but none of them seem like they’d carry well at all.

I just watched a youtube video of the MS-1 and strangely, they don't show it being used as a genuine shooting aid by passing the arm through the open loop. They show it hasty style which really doesn't do much for shooting stability. I'm not sure why one wouldn't use that open loop for this but perhaps the sliding feature prevents this from being secure. I honestly don't know as I've never put my hands on one.

The Magpul RLS does have a loop that can be used for shooting support by putting your arm through the loop. The RLS looks very similar to the Rhodesian style sling from Andy's Leather or nylon one from Wilderness. Those allow for both carry and a true loop sling for shooting support from any position where your elbow is supported.

Here's a link to the Wilderness sling: https://www.thewilderness.com/langlois-rhodesian-sling/wilderness-langlois-rhodesian-sling/

Reactions: HaydenLane
I just watched a youtube video of the MS-1 and strangely, they don't show it being used as a genuine shooting aid by passing the arm through the open loop. They show it hasty style which really doesn't do much for shooting stability. I'm not sure why one wouldn't use that open loop for this but perhaps the sliding feature prevents this from being secure. I honestly don't know as I've never put my hands on one.

The Magpul RLS does have a loop that can be used for shooting support by putting your arm through the loop. The RLS looks very similar to the Rhodesian style sling from Andy's Leather or nylon one from Wilderness. Those allow for both carry and a true loop sling for shooting support from any position where your elbow is supported.

Here's a link to the Wilderness sling: https://www.thewilderness.com/langlois-rhodesian-sling/wilderness-langlois-rhodesian-sling/
I’d looked at the RLS before, but I don’t see anyone recommend it for whatever reason. That wilderness one looks a bit nicer for sure. Not sure I’d particularly like to use either for extended American-style carry, though.

I’d looked at the RLS before, but I don’t see anyone recommend it for whatever reason. That wilderness one looks a bit nicer for sure. Not sure I’d particularly like to use either for extended American-style carry, though.
African carry is the answer. Muzzle down, over the support side shoulder is a LOT faster for field work. It isn't a precision rifle kind of technique but what you're asking isn't exactly a precision rifle kind of question. LOL. I'm kind of a sling nut. I've studied these things and used them in hunting situations quite a bit. If you look at the video I posted above, check out the other videos on my channel. I dive into slings quite a bit including a long discussion on setting up a Rhodesian. Again... this isn't precision rifle stuff... it is scout rifle stuff.

Would you consider the MS1 padded for an all-around carry/field shooting sling?
I'm not going to say "yeah, it'll be perfect", some things you just have to figure out for yourself after some trial and error. For my AR's and probably a few of my bolt guns I could use that MS1 sling for just about anything I'd need it for.

One possibility is that there may not be enough slack up front to allow the loop it creates to be utilized. When the loop is opened up to pass the arm through, there may only be several inches from the top of the loop to the connection point. When the loop is closed down, there may not be enough slack above the loop to pass the hand through and get the gun into the pocket of the shoulder. This is an issue I had when I tried to use a VCAS sling that way.

I think the RLS is one of those products that didn't get a lot of press to begin with and since it was designed for bolt guns from a largely AR accessory company, it got passed over for other options. I have one and like it as a good all rounder for situations I don't require a dynamic, highly adjustable sling.

The Magpul MS1 sling is absolutely usable as a cuff sling. The slider works exactly like an M1907 keeper.

Reactions: cliffy110
FWIW, Chris Way said he uses the Rifles Only *Carbine* Sling, rather than their more complicated Bungee Sling. The Carbine also has a bungee component, but no loop. Even so, Chris said in one podcast that with training, he was getting results that were very close to his results with a tripod.

For hunting use, I second the Wilderness version of the Rhodesian Sling linked above - nice wide webbing is good for carrying, and fast to get into a near-Ching level of stability using the upper arm.

For something completely different, check out the new FHF gear sling; it has some interesting possibilities for carrying in conjunction with a pack.

Reactions: cliffy110
So I'll throw the proverbial turd in the punch bowl here.

DCM/CMP rules prohibit use of the sling in off hand. The historical argument is that it does nothing to tie the skeletal structure together in that position. Yet NRL and others advocate it being used from off hand as it does seem to make you steadier.
Given the shooting jacket and elbow on hip it is it not silly to discard the use of a sling when rules allow it?
The stages of a service rifle match are supposedly equivalent to the engagements they "replicate". Off hand slow fire was a quick engagement where you didn't have time to sling in. As the ranges increase you have more stable positions using the sling and time to prepare the position used. Same rules with changes to the target since the early 1900's.