• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Shooting With Rx Glasses

rware91

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2009
Spring, Texas
I just had to get Rx glasses and am having trouble adjusting to them while shooting through optics. I seem to sometimes get a double image and other illusions. What do you guys do? shoot without them? or just practice enough with them that you always get a clear picture with them on? thanks

Re: Shooting With Rx Glasses

what type of glasses are they?
Do you have an astigmatism? wear bifocals, are blind as a bat without em?

I know several national and international shooters who wear glasses. one is of the opinion you must keep the center of the glasses lens center in the scope or you will have trouble. I cant say Do you have double reticle or double target?

If I'm wearing glasses rather than contacts when I shoot I just take the glasses off. I can still see everything clearly through the scope and haven't noticed any issues with my accuracy or consistency this way.

This works for shooting paper, if we're shooting unknown distance I have to put the glasses back on to find the targets.

I wear no line bifocals for astigmatism.
I had them make a pair using side shields, and with ANSI lenses.
They're my prescription safety, shooting glasses.

you need to readjust the ocular to your eyes, or with you wearing glasses

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 50-140</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I wear no line bifocals for astigmatism.
I had them make a pair using side shields, and with ANSI lenses.
They're my prescription safety, shooting glasses.

</div></div>

That's way I went. Just my bifocals have lines. I look over the top of the line though.

I shoot with prescription glasses. usually i shoot with my Oakley Nano wire 2.0's but in the dark i shoot with my regular glasses. although they are kind of narrow height wise, so i find that i have to push them up all the time to see correctly. as for your reticles being out of focus, have you tried to adjust the eyepiece for focus?

I have been wearing glasses for decades shooting. Started for safety, then nature got me, and I needed Rx glasses..now onto bi-focals..(yep, I'm older than dirt). Anyhow, I find that for shooting I need lenses that extend above my eyebrows, because when using rifles (doesn't matter whether iron or optical sights), smaller lenses have me looking with the frame in the way. I don't have problems with the optics being blurry, but other people using my rifles with optics often comment that the ocular lens isn't focused properly for them.

Try a different focus on your ocular. Reticle should be sharp and really solid black if you mount the rifle with your eyes closed, then the instant you open your shooting eye, the reticle should be in sharp black. If you have to wait for your eye to adjust before the reticle is sharp, the lens is out of focus for your new RX.