• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Shooting with your opposite hand

Outerspace

Private
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2009
USA
I'm right handed but shoot left handed on purpose quite a bit.

When I took my first LR precision class we were taught to shoot both ways. It feels funny at first but you essentially will shoot just as tight as you do regular hand, that includes CQB etc. It's just mental.

Or at least that was the way I was trained and how I've been practicing. I've found a lot of benefit to it. For one if I develop a bad habit with one hand it often won't show up when I switch and it helps it go away.

I've run across shooters much better than myself who are not comfortable switching hands and it's made me curious. No extra co-ordination is required, it's just your finger moving, a little bit.

Was interested in getting the thoughts and experiences of others on this topic.

Re: Shooting with your opposite hand

In my Inservice training we were required to fire all qualification weapons with both hands. Even a 12 gauge shotgun.

forces you to pay more attention to fundamentals that some occasionally become complacent about

For our practical pistol course we have to alternate shooting strong side and weak side. Most people save their rounds and make them up on the next course of fire because they usually throw them. After you extend the gun to the target, rotate the gun 45 Degrees to the inside (towards the center of your body). This trick allows you a little better sight picture, and more recoil control. Also, try dry firing at home which is great practice. Don't anticipate the bang.

I shoot with both hands. You never know sometimes the position states I will need to shoot with the right hand. Handgun is always fun. It is more fun to watch right handed people try to do anything with their left hand.

I shoot support side on occasion. While at Rifles Only many found that they could shoot better support side because lack of bad habits in the weak side trigger finger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rthur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot support side on occasion. While at Rifles Only many found that they could shoot better support side because lack of bad habits in the weak side trigger finger. </div></div>
+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunny305</div><div class="ubbcode-body">. . . After you extend the gun to the target, rotate the gun 45 Degrees to the inside (towards the center of your body). This trick allows you a little better sight picture, and more recoil control . . .</div></div>
I've seen this technique used, have tried it, but respectfully disagree. My basis is my experience with Bullseye competition, which is "one hand" shooting. Holding the handgun vertically, the shooter is not modifying the vertical sight picture used on all other shots (muscle memory?), and the shooter has better control (wrist/forearm vertical) and locked.

My $0.02

Kevin

I started a thread about this a while back. I have noticed I have no bad habits with my left trigger finger because the first time I ever pulled the trigger left handed was under the watchful eye of an instructor. I'm very right eye dominant though so I really sloowww dowwn when I'm trying to attain the correct sight picture left handed. My right trigger faults are slapping and pulling to the right. Sometimes, when I'm trying to shoot a good group I go left handed because I know I don't have to fight any bad habits there. Dry firing has sped up my left eyed target acquisition, but I still struggle with it under the heat of a timed competition.

Back when I used to run a team I made all of them shoot all weapons both sides. They started scoring expert on all our courses only after a short time. Transitional shooting became second nature when we did building clearing. When we were asked which is our dominant side we pretty much respond with either. After training for awhile you almost forget which side to use and it feels natural in either hand. More 2¢…