• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

shooting without a rear bag

Petrichor Actual

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2013
NW MO
The overwhelming majority of my shooting is performed with a bipod and rear bag from a bench or prone. I'm aware that this is a major shortcoming in my marksmanship. Having said that, whenever I dry fire bench or prone with a bipod but without a rear bag, I have no idea how to keep the rifle steady and the bipod "loaded" whatsoever. I know a rear bag is inherently steadier than going without, but what's the proper technique for shooting without a rear bag when circumstances demand it?

Last edited:
Hook the thumb of your non trigger hand in your shirt collar, rest the butt accordingly.

We have a course of fire for our monthly matches that mandate "no artificial rear support" and run it 3x a year.

I use a simple leather work glove and make a fist for rear support, expanding and contracting my fist to fine tune. I've shot some of my tightest groups with this set up. With practice, there is only a moderate dis-advantage.