• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing shop in a connex

hero's machine

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 2, 2011
E. WA
Guys I need some help. I am getting a divorce. I managed to keep the shop tools and gun inventory, but I lose the property. I am thinking of moving my lathe, mill, tool grinder, surface grinder and tool boxes into a 20-24' connex. I have a diesel powered welder that puts out enough juice to run everything easily and I have a big gas compressor to take care of the air. .....what I'm looking for is pics of connex shops and what would you do or not do again.

Thanks.

I worked out of a steel connex for over a year in "DirkaDirkaGaghdad".

Hope you have AC if your southern. :)

2003CHEVYTRUCKVIN1GTHK23U93F174884KBR8094-1.jpg

Guys I need some help. I am getting a divorce. I managed to keep the shop tools and gun inventory, but I lose the property. I am thinking of moving my lathe, mill, tool grinder, surface grinder and tool boxes into a 20-24' connex. I have a diesel powered welder that puts out enough juice to run everything easily and I have a big gas compressor to take care of the air. .....what I'm looking for is pics of connex shops and what would you do or not do again.

Thanks.

You might check with a guy by the name of Mike Bellm. he doesn't do sniper stuff, but has worked on Thompson Center and a few other single shots for years. Cut his teeth in PO Ackley's shop and actually has some of his old gear. When I met Mike he was working in a connex or a semi box, can't rememeber which, but it was on the ground, and worked great. IIRC, he had all the same equipment you are mentioning, but I'd ask him - he's tried several versions over the years i think. you can reach him at [email protected].

s

Ditto the AC/heater; those boxes can get warm/cold fairly easily. Not bad to work from, but a bit cramped at times IME...(especially if there are more than two people in it at one time).

Connex boxes are great for storage but not so great for a shop. I have a 40' box and was intending to use it as a shop, but it is really not practical. It is weather and animal proof and more secure than a storage shed. It is very hot in the summer. If you really want to use it, you should insulate it somehow. Also, it is too skinny for a shop. Once you set up your tools you don't have enough room to work around them.

Since you can weld, what you might do is buy two, put them side by side and weld them together. Then cut the wall out so you can have 16' wide.

These are built with square tubing frames and corogated walls. The walls are structural, but can be cut out if you are not going to stack the boxes.

On price, when I bought mine the 40' was only $300 more than a 20'. Something to consider.

BTW...if you run power in it and want to use it for anything but storage you should put the wiring in conduit and either way be sure to physically ground the entire unit with a ground rod.

--Daniel

Last edited:
I have a friend who had a shop in a connex and it was a very tight fit. He had the machinery lined up down one wall. He made it work for a few years until he could afford a metal building kit. The connex then ended up buried in the side of a hill for a pretty sweet bunker.

We had hose machines setup in them along with parts when I was working on heavy equipment and they are miserable in the summer if you don't have a/c. The one company cut a hole out and put a window unit in the side, it made it halfway decent on a sunny day and worked good on a cloudy day.

We have a bunch at work. 1" foam insulation on the walls, it's tight but works. And there is just a window ac unit in it. The two side by side would be nice to.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I did not actually work out of these connex's with Chad...I was down the road at FOB Olympia. I did work with him after they were moved into a real building!!!
It was amazing what can be done with a couple of Connex's and some imagination. We had two put together end to end, with the ends cut out in the middle. Built some nice metal gun racks, had work bench, AC & power. Not a bad set up.
Best of luck with your project.

I worked out of a steel connex for over a year in "DirkaDirkaGaghdad".

Hope you have AC if your southern. :)

2003CHEVYTRUCKVIN1GTHK23U93F174884KBR8094-1.jpg

I just got a line on a 40' insulated. I'm partial to 20-24' for ease of moving with my trailer. ....but, I can trade some of my waste iron for it to a buddy.

I saw a guy take 2- 40' leave a 12'space between then put 28'trusses over the whole thing. Kept his tools & equipment in the secure boxes & used the 12'x40' for welding, fab work & storage. He put sliding doors on both ends of the 12' center. Worked well.

I have enough I beam laying around to scab a cover for my jet boat between two until my next shop is up.

I took two 40 ft containers, anchored to ground, bonus room trusses on top. Iit is finished with a 40 ft bunkhouse with bath on top.

I took two 40 ft containers, anchored to ground, bonus room trusses on top. Iit is finished with a 40 ft bunkhouse with bath on top.

I would love to see a pic of this. I am having trouble visualizing, but I'm sure it works great.

If you can get an insulated I would jump on it. They are hard to come by.

--Daniel

I would love to see a pic of this.

Me too.

My shooting partner is in the middle of building one out, he had the inside insulated and an AC window unit put in. He's putting in benches for reloading and cleaning, lots of shelving, and a window with a 1" thick steel shooting table. It's going to be nice.

Here's an example of what industry offers...

Attachments

• sb866.0.plsmms.pdf
    903.1 KB · Views: 25
I'm sure they vary, from vendor to vendor, but the military ones have a bubble level on each corner, and notched plate (think large picatinny rail) that a hydraulic jack attaches for leveling/shimming. The inside floor on the ones set up for metal working machines have 5/8 or 3/4 aluminum plate in lieu of the normal plastic topped plywood floor. The one I have worked in, has that aluminum plate drilled and tapped to anchor the equipment down. Its very similar to the CHU's used to house troops in overseas garrison or a large FOB...

Again, I'm sure there are deltas between the different vendors and manufacturers.

A little off topic but do yourself a favor and wait until the divorce is final before you make plans of rebuilding. While you say "getting divorced", a lot can still happen even if you think it will be OK. Once the legal side gets done highlighting just how much the other can leave with, past agreements can fall apart.....been there and done that. One a lighter note, I had a buddy purchase a used double wide for 10k and he gutted it and turned the whole thing into a shop

A little off topic but do yourself a favor and wait until the divorce is final before you make plans of rebuilding. While you say "getting divorced", a lot can still happen even if you think it will be OK. Once the legal side gets done highlighting just how much the other can leave with, past agreements can fall apart.....been there and done that. One a lighter note, I had a buddy purchase a used double wide for 10k and he gutted it and turned the whole thing into a shop

Amen. Just remember:

Divorce is expensive! Cause it's worth it!

C.

We actually have a legally bound agreement that levies a fine against the other if we deviate from the current agreement. I have 6 months of free time in my current building, and 6 months which I pay a fair rent price that we agreed upon in the agreement. I am zero percent worried.....she did well. I have my kids 50% of the month.....it's far from most stories.

My dad suggested that I find a worthless bitch that I can't stand and buy her a house rather than risk it again.

This is Cotntop's shop that he posted about above. I think it looks great.

1E65A6AF-A721-4B88-85DC-CEEF9FCB4D78.jpg

Last edited: