• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Short 50 BMG case?

mrzab

Private
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2013
Guys, I'm a long term lurker and just enjoy the knowledge displayed on the site. A friend gave me some LC brass that is dimensionally the same as a 50 BMG case except it's about .915" shorter. The shoulder looks to be a little longer also. I thought it was the 50 DTC, but that's only .1" shorter than the 50 BMG. Can anybody tell me what it is? Thanks.

Might be the 460 steyr necked up to 50. I've seen a few guys who have done that wildcat.....I've seen a couple of the 416 barret rounds done up the same way. Not sure why but a number of guys seem interested in shortening all sorts of cases . Last possibility and probably the most likely is the 50 cal spotter/tracer cartridge used in the Spotter rifle for the 106mm Recoilless rifle. Can't recall exact lengths on them but one of them is pretty likely.

Frank

Well, it looks like I've got a couple of spotter/tracer cases on my hands. Thanks for the fast help. You guys are great!.