• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Short 50 mm scopes.

Bluebullet1986

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2020
I’m soon to be building a 16 inch carbon barrel 308 on a tikka action to shoot suppressed for deer hunting inside 350yds. I’m looking on recommendations for a 50mm objective scope in the 10/12 power range on the high side with good to great low light performance. I’d like it to be kinda short almost like a tactical scope to keep a good balance and aesthetics. Looking to keep it on or under 1200$. Any recommendations?

Reactions: Snark0
I’m soon to be building a 16 inch carbon barrel 308 on a tikka action to shoot suppressed for deer hunting inside 350yds. I’m looking on recommendations for a 50mm objective scope in the 10/12 power range on the high side with good to great low light performance. I’d like it to be kinda short almost like a tactical scope to keep a good balance and aesthetics. Looking to keep it on or under 1200$. Any recommendations?
Price wise, this is going to be your best bet...

Toss it in a set of these rings, and you'll be rocking with a really nice optics setup.

• Haha
Reactions: redneckbmxer24
The XTR3 3-18 is a great way to go if you're stuck on a 50mm objective. If you're fine going down to a 42mm I've heard lots positive feedback about the Athlon Helos 2-12x42. I'm considering one myself for a .308 hunting setup.

Only on SH does someone come looking for recommendations for an optic for short range hunting with a lightweight rifle and idiots recommend the 30oz long range tactical flavor of the month. At least it's consistent.

Look at Swarovski Z3's and Leupold VX5HD's. They have 50mm models in both of those lines, they're both solid optics, not heavy pigs, have great glass and low light performance, and come in under your budget of $1200. You can also find used S&B classics within your budget that would also be an excellent choice. The Z3 and VX5HD models will give you a better selection of reticles though. Swarovski's BDC reticles are quite nice and are based on mils so you just make a dope card and hold mil value vs. the typical BDC reticles that don't have even graduations for the hash marks and you have to try to get to line up.

Reactions: Charger442
For hunting inside of 350 yards ?

S&B ultra klassik 3-12 or 4-16 with the p3L mil reticle and the exposed mil turret.
Should be able to find one for 1200$ But you’ll only get 3.2 mil of usable elevation on the turret. Great for hunting but poor if you want to stretch it out past 400 yards.

I have a Helos 2-12 and I love it for what it is would be a decent choice as well if you want to have tons of elevation couple of oz heavier than the S&B and more of a tactical scope meant for a semi auto than for precision, fairly large center dot.

I also have a ETR 3-18x50mm which is amazing glass for the value but fairly heavy at +30oz, wouldn’t balance the greatest for a lightweight build but mine sits on my 7 SAW with manners LRH and Bartlein 3b. Shot a 4.5in 3 rounds group at 1000 yards with it.

Only on SH does someone come looking for recommendations for an optic for short range hunting with a lightweight rifle and idiots recommend the 30oz long range tactical flavor of the month. At least it's consistent.

Look at Swarovski Z3's and Leupold VX5HD's. They have 50mm models in both of those lines, they're both solid optics, not heavy pigs, have great glass and low light performance, and come in under your budget of $1200. You can also find used S&B classics within your budget that would also be an excellent choice. The Z3 and VX5HD models will give you a better selection of reticles though. Swarovski's BDC reticles are quite nice and are based on mils so you just make a dope card and hold mil value vs. the typical BDC reticles that don't have even graduations for the hash marks and you have to try to get to line up.
Only on SH can a Fudd who supports the NFA and continuing regulating of suppressors "to prevent crime", continue to open their mouth on a daily basis calling other people stupid. If people weren't so hung up on hitting EXACT rifle weight goals, maybe they could handle a few extra ounces to get the perfect optic for the needs instead of settling. I used to ruck a 20lbs. rifle and 50+ lbs of kit on my back through the hills on a regular basis. People need to toughen up if they can't handle an extra 4-8 oz. of scope. Is that going to break your back?

If weight is a concern, he could always get the Zeiss Conquest V4...It's got great glass and very bright image. It's not super short, but it's not super long either...But it's right on the upper edge of his price range.

Here you go... 21.7 ounces...

Only on SH can a Fudd who supports the NFA and continuing regulating of suppressors "to prevent crime", continue to open their mouth on a daily basis calling other people stupid. If people weren't so hung up on hitting EXACT rifle weight goals, maybe they could handle a few extra ounces to get the perfect optic for the needs instead of settling. I used to ruck a 20lbs. rifle and 50+ lbs of kit on my back through the hills on a regular basis. People need to toughen up if they can't handle an extra 4-8 oz. of scope. Is that going to break your back?

If weight is a concern, he could always get the Zeiss Conquest V4...It's only like 23 ounces, and on sale for $849 at Midway. It's not super short, but it's not super long either.

So you think a 30oz 3-18 optic with spotty reliability is the perfect optic for a hunting rifle for distances inside 350 yards?

Ohh, but now let’s recommend another optic with a 6x minimum magnification.

You truly are a special kind of retarded.

Reactions: dirtytough
So you think a 30oz 3-18 optic with spotty reliability is the perfect optic for a hunting rifle for distances inside 350 yards?

Ohh, but now let’s recommend another optic with a 6x minimum magnification.

You truly are a special kind of retarded.
Spotty reliability? You obviously have zero experience with Burris if you think they have "spotty reliability". When talking shit about something, at least have some sort of relevant real-world experience with the items, instead of just shitting on it, because it's not your choice. You're like a pissed off ex girlfriend who just says shit about you to try to make you look bad to other people. It's weak and pathetic feminine behavior.

And then you go and recommend a shitty ass Fudd scope like the VX5HD? 🤣

Also, I sent back quite a few Swarovski scopes at the gun store, and metric tons of Leupolds...Never a single Zeiss.

Spotty reliability? You obviously have zero experience with Burris if you think they have "spotty reliability". When talking shit about something, at least have some sort of relevant real-world experience with the items, instead of just shitting on it, because it's not your choice. You're like a pissed off ex girlfriend who just says shit about you to try to make you look bad to other people. It's weak and pathetic feminine behavior.

There has been numerous posts on this forum of people who have had them fail. Not to mention the QC issues with stiff controls, purple knobs, bad glass quality all of which people have sent them back for. But yeah, I’m just making stuff up.

It’s all moot though because that’s a terrible choice for the OP’s uses and you’re too dumb to see it.

Reactions: snow_bullet
There has been numerous posts on this forum of people who have had them fail. Not to mention the QC issues with stiff controls, purple knobs, bad glass quality all of which people have sent them back for. But yeah, I’m just making stuff up.

It’s all moot though because that’s a terrible choice for the OP’s uses and you’re too dumb to see it.
I have only seen posts about the controls being slightly stiff on the XTR-III, and none of the rest. Never seen any QC issues, purple knobs, bad glass quality (other than the first Gen of the scopes, which haven't been made in many years), etc...

How is that a terrible choice? His rifle is only 16" long? It's a .308 Win. He will want to be able to reliably dial to 400-500 yards (possibly farther on targets if he decides to range shoot his rifle) due to the rapid drop of the .308 Win. Which means he's going to need a fair amount of elevation travel. A Swaro Z3i ain't gonna get that done. Neither is an S&B Klassik, or a VX5HD.

I have only seen posts about the controls being slightly stiff on the XTR-III, and none of the rest. Never seen any QC issues, purple knobs, bad glass quality (other than the first Gen of the scopes, which haven't been made in many years), etc...

How is that a terrible choice? His rifle is only 16" long? It's a .308 Win. He will want to be able to reliably dial to 400-500 yards (possibly farther on targets if he decides to range shoot his rifle) due to the rapid drop of the .308 Win. Which means he's going to need a fair amount of elevation travel. A Swaro Z3i ain't gonna get that done. Neither is an S&B Klassik, or a VX5HD.

Jesus you get dumber by the post. You didn't see those probably because you chose not to.

He's hunting to 350 yards, so he doesn't need to dial to 400-500 yards at all. Regardless a 16" 308 doesn't drop that much. The Z3 has 4.5mil of BDC, the VX5HD is available with 29MOA and 5 mil reticles and the 3-15 I have sitting here that has lived on a 20" 308 has plenty of elevation travel to reach well beyond 1000 yards which it has done so numerous times. A 308 takes about 3mils to get to 500 yards depending on the load, if its very slow and heavy 3.5mils tops. Even with the Z3 BRH or BRX reticle that leaves more than a mil. So again, you lack the experience and knowledge and are just saying stupid shit on the internet.

Jesus you get dumber by the post. You didn't see those probably because you chose not to.

He's hunting to 350 yards, so he doesn't need to dial to 400-500 yards at all. Regardless a 16" 308 doesn't drop that much. The Z3 has 4.5mil of BDC, the VX5HD is available with 29MOA and 5 mil reticles and the 3-15 I have sitting here that has lived on a 20" 308 has plenty of elevation travel to reach well beyond 1000 yards which it has done so numerous times. A 308 takes about 3mils to get to 500 yards depending on the load, if its very slow and heavy 3.5mils tops. Even with the Z3 BRH or BRX reticle that leaves more than a mil. So again, you lack the experience and knowledge and are just saying stupid shit on the internet.
I don't lack anything, you just think I do because I don't agree with you or any of the other pompous windbags on here that think they know every damn thing.

Depending on his load, and bullet weight, sure, but like I said... IF he wanted to shoot it to 500+ at the range. There's that one magical 2-letter word you overlooked.

Don't you have an NRA & ATF convention to get to?