• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Short Action 284Win Experiences

BrettSass844

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2009
Germantown, OHIO
I would like to hear any experiences you guys have had with building a 284 Win on a short action. I am fully aware that it is not the best way to get the full potential out of the round. However, I felt like it would still be light years ahead of my 308 in terms of ballistic performance. I am getting close to my barrel being done and am wondering what kind of performance I can expect. I have read the article on 6mmBR and it is very encouraging. I will be feeding from modified Alpha Industries WSM mags so I will be able to load out to 2.985 or so. bullets of choice will be 162 Amax, 168 Berger VLD and 160 Accubond. I will also try single feeding the 180 VLD possibly for some comps. Powders I plan to try are 2000MR and RL17 to start. Main goal is to find a go to accuracy node with the 162 A-max at 2950fps+. Thoughts???

Re: Short Action 284Win Experiences

Brett,

Unless your barrel is a lot longer than 26", I do not believe that you can reach 2950 FPS, at safe pressures with the 162 gr A-Max, and a COAL of less than 2.985" in a standard SA 284.

Of course if your barrel is in the 30 to 31" range, you might just get there.

Your in all likelihood, with a 26" or less barrel, your going to top out somewhere in the 2850-2900 FPS range. Which is not at all a bad thing.

If 2950 FPS is an absolute goal, sorry you chose the wrong case. The 7mm SAUM can just do it with a @ 73 grains case capacity, but not so much with a 66 grains max 284 case, limited to less than 2.985" and a normal barrel.

Best of luck in trying though.

Bob

Im shooting 3k out of a 27" barrel OAL of 3.21"
162gr Amax in a lapua case.

In my research and choosing of the caliber, the short action is not the way to go.
If you want to reach those high numbers you need to go long action. You can use DBM and feed out of a AICS mag (300WM) with plenty of room to spare.

I think you'll be able to hit 2950 with RE17 and the 162 amax. Good luck, I'm in the exact same boat. Do you have a reamer? Mine is supposed to be finished next week. Maybe we could work out a deal... PM if interested.

That is the 6mmBR article that I found interesting. I do understand that i will be limited with the SA obviously. My barrel is also 25"

KYS338 Are you running a compressed load? How much case capacity would you guess you would give up to back that down to the 2.985 area? Also what powder are you running? I think 2000MR would be a nice fit for this and plan to do quite a bit of testing with it.

Overall I will admit that I was taking a gamble when I decided to go with this. But honestly, worst case scenario if I can gain 100fps+ over a 7-08 I will be happy with it. After all a 162 A-max running 2800+ is still a great performer. But like I said before the goal is 2950 or so. I will keep you guys updated.

Brett, our thinking is identical. Even though the SA compromises the performance of the 284, and forfeits the ability to use some of the supreme badass 7mm bullets, it still oughtta outperferm the 708 and 708AI, as well as the 260, and bitchslap a 308. All the while, maintaining good barrel life and totally reasonable unbraked recoil.

I've never seen one hit 3k with a 162/RL17 combo. I'd love to see that.

My best with an LA set up and Lapua brass is 2925 fps. Beyond that I've always run into accuracy or pressure issues. The best accuracy seems to come from 2825 to 2925 with 162's & 168's. This is all based off hunting guns set up with barrels from 24"-26".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJoplin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never seen one hit 3k with a 162/RL17 combo. I'd love to see that.

My best with an LA set up and Lapua brass is 2925 fps. Beyond that I've always run into accuracy or pressure issues. The best accuracy seems to come from 2825 to 2925 with 162's & 168's. This is all based off hunting guns set up with barrels from 24"-26".

</div></div>

You're probably right - 2950 is optimistic. Still, 2800+ will perform great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJoplin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never seen one hit 3k with a 162/RL17 combo. I'd love to see that.

</div></div>

Jered,

Welcome back.

My .284 Win which is extremely similar to KYShooter's got up to around 3020 FPS with around 61 gr of 4831SC with the 162 A-Max seated at 3.208", Lapua brass necked up. My final load I am settling with is 1/4 MOA and is 58.8 gr of 4831SC at around 2990 FSP. Barrel is a Bartlein M40, 27" finish.

We have had really good luck with the Bartlein 1-9" twist barrels with the 284, after around 100 rounds or so we have been noticing an increase in velocity of around 70-100 fps. I love my 284 because its pretty competitive, low recoil and extremely accurate.

Mark

2800+ is still good in my book and I will be able to live with that. After talking with Turbo54 via PM I may have run into another issue though with the throat on the barrel. I will have to check with McGowen in the morning. A little concerned I will have to much jump from a COL of 2.985 or so. What is your guys thoughts on Alliant's 2000MR for the 284? That powder throws 175 SMKs out of my 24" 308 at just under 2800 with no pressure signs at all!

Mark it's good to be back. I just made a sprint to Iowa over the weekend to film a hunt. When we get the picks up a few jaws will hit the floor. It will be about two weeks before we release anything. Long story.

I've been pushing the 284 for almost 4 years know. The first one I ever laid eyes on was one we built for Mr. Johnny King. I've been in love ever since. Its abilities on the range speak for themselves. In the field it has very little recoil, feeds flawlessly and is more accurate than the law allows. Under good conditions my hunting rifle (7.5 lbs) has produced 1.5 inch groups at 700. 1/2 MOA @ distance comes out of the hat with relative ease. When it comes to killing power on whitetail I can show you a resume that would stifle most trophy rooms in exisistance. I know of one rifle in particular that has over 3000 inches of antler under it's belt in 3 seasons. Farthest one to run has been 25 yards. The 284 is by far in my opinion the finest whitetail cartridge ever invented for a reloader.

How does the 284 feed? I have been planning on building a 7 WSM, but this gives me pause. Nearly the same speed, but much less powder.

I am hoping to keep the barrel to 24", but have some flexibility.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c1steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does the 284 feed? I have been planning on building a 7 WSM, but this gives me pause. Nearly the same speed, but much less powder.

I am hoping to keep the barrel to 24", but have some flexibility. </div></div>

Feeding a 284 in a SA takes work. Both the 700 and the Win70/FN SPR require some grinding of the feedramp to allow a cartridge that is over ~2.850" long to feed.

I haven't built mine yet, so I can't speak from firsthand experience, but I am not anticipating a lot of drama.

I have heard that it feeds flawlessly out of Alpha Industries WSM magazines. Also heard good reports feeding from AI mags. But the Alpha Mags allow for a COL of 2.985 instead of the standars 2.9 And, they are priced well!

This cartridge belongs in a long action if you want the speed. Remember this is the world's first attempt at a short mag and it failed for that reason...
It will feed flawlessly in a 30-06 action and give you seating depth for miles.......

Jered, I am in no way challenging your opinions or findings. I value both yours and Mark's opinions and I know how much you guys have used this catridge. I am simply trying to decide if I made the wrong decision. Here was my thinking. I simply wanted to rebarrel my 308 and take advantage of the high BC 7mm bullets. I beat myself up over this and the 7-08 for a while. Also considered the 7WSM. But ultimately I decided that while I may not have the fastest 7mm at the range that a 284 in a SA should provide me a minimum of 100fps over the 7-08, possibly closer to 200fps with the right powder combo. I also took into consideration that my bbl life and recoil will be much more manageable than many of the other hot 7mm choices. Granted a 284 on a LA is a straight ass kicker, I have seen them in action with some of the big 7mm bullets. What should I reasonable expect say I can have a col of 2.98-2.985? I have heard (like the 6mmBR article) that 2900 isnt out of reach and I hope its not. For me this rifle is a combo comp rifle and hunting rifle so I had to sacrifice a few things like the bbl length. I went with a 25" when I would have loved to go 27". This seems very similar to the 280 vs 280AI argument. I assume I will give up 100fps or so by choosing to put this in a SA. I guess in a nutshell I figured out of the 3 I was considering (7-08, 284 and 7wsm) the 284 even on a SA would fall right in the middle of the other 2 performance wise while providing good bbl life and lighter recoil. I hope I wasnt wrong. Trust me I would have loved to get another LA to put this bbl on but I just bought a new Mathews and am trying to gear up for a trip out west next year. So funds are limited somewhat and I would like to stay married... lol

Here is one of the rifles I believe Jered is talking about. I bought it from him about 3 months ago , and in that short amount of time the 284 has become my favorite round. this thing is strait up freakishly accurate. it shoots a 162 amax at 2915fps with 57.5gr of 4831sc out of a 26 inch barrel. long action

Jereds photo

IMG_5603.jpg

Any of you experienced folks mind piping up about neck clearance? The reamer I spec'd out with Dave at Pacific is .317".

I loaded a few dummy rounds tonight, both with Winchester 284 brass and Lapua 6.5-284 necked up to 284, and found the winny brass to be pretty consistent between 313-314, leaving me with .0015/side clearance. The Lapua brass was quite consistent at 312, so that'll give me .0025/side.

I'm NOT interested in turning necks.

Seems pretty good to me...maybe the winny brass a shade tighter than I'd like.

Any opinions? Might not be too late to change something if need be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rippit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is one of the rifles I believe Jered is talking about. I bought it from him about 3 months ago , and in that short amount of time the 284 has become my favorite round. this thing is strait up freakishly accurate. it shoots a 162 amax at 2915fps with 57.5gr of 4831sc out of a 26 inch barrel. long action

IMG_5603.jpg

</div></div>
Sweet! I'm quite excited to see what mine will do. On theory, I'm in love with this cartridge... I dont like the full tilt magnums for a number of reasons. To me, this cartridge walks the fine line between moderate/magnum.

Is that a fat bastard on that rifle? Ive got a little bastard in store for mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rippit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im pretty sure its the little bastard </div></div>

I think you're right. The fat bastard has 4 vents and is "fatter". Because I'll be contouring mine to blend with the barrel taper, I tend to think of all lil bastids being done the same way.

Is that 26" plus the brake or 26" with? Looks like 26 plus.

Rippit I really hated to see that rifle go but I'm glad she belongs to someone that truly appreciates it. Where ever you point that gun is where it's going for sure. She gets cranky when she doesn't get to hunt. My wife shot her first deer with that rifle as a matter of fact.

Turbo
If you are going to maximize this cartridge you need to consider turning necks or except decent accuracy. Decent is fine for most situations. When you decide you want more size up the lapua brass and turn them. It will hold around 1g more powder to boot. Anytime you size brass up or down in caliber it's crucial to turn the neck at least enough to clean it up. My loaded rounds are around 313 if I remember correct. Brass will not size uniformly when stretching it that much. Either that or my process just sucks. I did all the work the text book would allow to the Win brass. Every single time I have gone to the Lapua or Norma brass and turned it groups have cut in half. That's worth the time and effort in my book any day. I've repeated those results with 5 rifles at this point.

Let the 284 trend begin. Maybe Lapua will get off their ass and make some standard brass like the old days. I'll be in line the day it happens. Until then I'll stomp my feet like a 5 year old.

I agree Jered. Im turning up Lapua brass and it gets old with the neck lube then press, for 500 times!

I wish Lapua would go ahead and offer straight up 284 brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The reamer I spec'd out with Dave at Pacific is .317".</div></div>

I think that is a good no-turn neck diameter. If you load new brass the case mouth will probably be beat up pretty good and the edge will be mushroomed over. I size the necks to straighten them out and then chamfer inside and out to remove the mushroom. This way there are no high spots on the lip and the round will chamber nicely with plenty of clearance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will be feeding from modified Alpha Industries WSM mags so I will be able to load out to 2.985 or so. </div></div>

I think you will enjoy your project and the 284 ballistics will be much better than the 308. In my opinion the short magnums belong in a short action, otherwise there are better options for the long action. The nice thing with the 284 Win is that you don't have to change the bolt.

What do you mean by modified Alpha WSM mags? Their WSM magazine should not require any modification, but I think 2.97" is a more realistic cartridge length to use in them. Also, I think it is better to modify the bolt stop and possibly the rear of the receiver to maximize cartridge length, rather than notching the feed ramp at the front where all the stress is.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

After watching a friend do a barrel swap to .284 on a short Savage action; his assessment was that the .284 was a good chambering for distance shooting, but not a great one.

Reading above about trouble getting competitive velocities, my enthusiasm wanes for the chambering. I have serious reservations about chamberings that need to be run at or near max pressures to perform as needed. I prefer draft horses to sprinters, they are in it for the long haul.

For 7mm, my choice would be the .280 Rem/7mm Remington Express chambering. Still doing interim work on my project, it shoots well and tends to deliver necessary velocities to 1Kyd with lesser pressures and lighter bullets than the .30's. A 150gr Nosler BT can be driven to 1Kyd supersonic with recoil and bore wear characteristics similar to Garand loads. Therers a lot to like about such a situation.

The question is, can a .280 be run on a short action? As a repeater, no. As a single shot, yes.

In theory, the .280 is impractical as a short action cartridge. In practice, it feeds correctly by hand, and empties eject just fine. It's when we get to unchambering and and removing a live round that things get interesting. But far from impossible.

All that's really required is to take an extra moment to operate the bolt release so the bolt can be withdrawn that extra distance needed to clear the round past the front action ring.

For me, that doesn't happen very often; and I don't have a problem doing the extra step when it does. For the grand majority of my shooting, I employ single round hand feeding, so magazine length is no issue for me, either. I can still see where it could be a lot more inconvenient for others.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McFred</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Their WSM magazine should not require any modification, but I think 2.97" is a more realistic cartridge length to use in them. Also, I think it is better to modify the bolt stop and possibly the rear of the receiver to maximize cartridge length, rather than notching the feed ramp at the front where all the stress is.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. </div></div>

You're right about COAL. If the magazine will "take" 2.985, I think a good maximum is 2.970-2.975, giving at least .010" clearance.

I don't know what you mean about modifying the bolt stop instead of notching the feedramp. The problem is not with the bolt not coming far enough back. The problem is that cartridges aren't free to come straight up out of the magazine, into the action, without the meplat catching on the underside of the feedramp.

On my FN SPR action, the bolt stop and ejector will in fact require some trimming down, however, in order to eject a loaded cartridge @ 2.985".

Greg, you and I have both been big fans of the 260 and I still am but I just had a 284 built on a short action to shoot the 162 to 168 class bullets. I made a single shot out of it.

I am using Winchester brass and this gun is one of the most accurate rifles I have owned other than a 6BR. I have shot several groups at 1000yds and the largest has been just over 5"s and the vertical spread has been around 2 to 3"s.

This rifle has held vertical to under .5moa no matter the distance I have shot it. It just flat outshoots me!! When I was doing load development it was shooting 1.5" 5 shot groups at 400yds. I am using H4350 in my rifle and I have not cronographed it but if memory serves me correctly I believe it takes me 26MOA to be on at 1000yds

The 280 is also a fine round and shoots damn fine at long range. My soninlaw has one in a hunting rifle with a Kreiger heavy sporter barrel on it and it has shot 3 shot groups in 3+"s at 900yds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rippit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is one of the rifles I believe Jered is talking about.......Jereds photo

IMG_5603.jpg

</div></div>

What bottom metal and magazine are in the rifle.

Thanks

Jerry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know what you mean about modifying the bolt stop instead of notching the feedramp. The problem is not with the bolt not coming far enough back. The problem is that cartridges aren't free to come straight up out of the magazine, into the action, without the meplat catching on the underside of the feedramp. </div></div>

The alpha mags don't have a spacer in the front like the AICS ones do. This gives a longer possible cartridge, but then the magazine should be moved back so the tips don't catch as you describe. It seems like some people cut the feed ramp to make it work, but in my opinion the proper solution is to move the magazine back slightly and usually the bolt stop along with it; this is what I mean. With a new build it's a matter of choosing a bottom metal that properly positions the magazine. With an existing build it is certainly easier to cut the feed ramp, but I would worry about weakening the receiver by cutting on it there (even more so with a short magnum sized cartridge).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McFred</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will be feeding from modified Alpha Industries WSM mags so I will be able to load out to 2.985 or so. </div></div>

I think you will enjoy your project and the 284 ballistics will be much better than the 308. In my opinion the short magnums belong in a short action, otherwise there are better options for the long action. The nice thing with the 284 Win is that you don't have to change the bolt.

What do you mean by modified Alpha WSM mags? Their WSM magazine should not require any modification, but I think 2.97" is a more realistic cartridge length to use in them. Also, I think it is better to modify the bolt stop and possibly the rear of the receiver to maximize cartridge length, rather than notching the feed ramp at the front where all the stress is.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. </div></div>

I just meant slightly tweaking the mag lips. I should have clarified that. No real mods will need to be done. Just a slight tweak.

I just completed 2 build on a short action 284 WIn. Using the Wyatt BDL metal. Moved the feed box back and modified the bolt release. Now these are hunting rifles and we are using the 120 grain Barnes triple shock at 3300 +, These should hit a whitetail like a hammer...We will soon seee.LOL

Well... PTG shipped out my .317" neck, .088" freebore 284win match reamer today.

Should have my barreled action back in about 3 weeks.

We'll keep ya posted.

Update: Bartlein has my reamer, action and brake...oughtta have it all back in about two weeks.

The best short action info I've seen on the web is:

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek095.html

That guy says the short action, with 162amax loaded to 2.890" COAL, limits his powder capacity as follows:

4831SC - 53gr
H4350 - 53gr
RE17 - 53.5 (pressure limited, not case capacity.....3000fps...25" barrel)

I spent time and wasted some bullets tonight finding my max case capacity, with 162amax @ 2.975" COAL. The alpha 300wsm mags I have allow for 2.985".

My methodology was to find how much powder I could stuff into the case, allowing for a compressed load, that would still seat the bullet correctly with no springback. Obviously, the heavily compressed load may show too much pressure and not be useable. These numbers are simply max max max possible. This is with non-fired winchester brass.

4831SC - 61gr
H4350 - 57.5gr

I didn't try RE17 because it seems likely I'll find max pressure before I'm capacity limited.

After performing this exercise, and rereading the above linked article, I have high hopes I may hit 2900fps from my 26" barrel yet!

More to come.

Don't build one on a short action.

I have a 25" gain-twist that finishes at 8.9. Running a .139 freebore and Lapua brass, no neck turning. JLK 180 VLD's, which plug into FFS at .735BC. Best accuracy appears to be in the 2790-2850fps range. 52.0 RE17 was as accurate as any 4831SC load I tried, but with better velocities. Maxed out at 53grs RE17 for 2880fps with sticky bolt lift at 77 degrees.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...586#Post2372586

I am building a short action. If it sucks ass, i'll rechamber to 708, as it is excellent in and of itself. Understanding the short action would be forgoing *some* of the performance the 284 is capable of, I know of no law/rule that states someone must not use any given caliber unless they swear they will maximize it. I'm merely looking to improve on 708 ballistics a bit.

I'm curious: Where does your resentment of a 284 on a short action come from? Did you try it and it sucked? Are you having so much success with the long action you can't possibly imagine a short action working well?

Anyway: I'm going to see how it does. I think I'll like it. Maybe not and I'll play with 708 instead.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These numbers are simply max max max possible. This is with non-fired winchester brass. </div></div>

You can probably get a little more with fired brass. Is that with a drop tube or tapping the cases? I was surprised how much the stick propellants settle. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McFred</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These numbers are simply max max max possible. This is with non-fired winchester brass. </div></div>

You can probably get a little more with fired brass. Is that with a drop tube or tapping the cases? I was surprised how much the stick propellants settle. Good luck and let us know how it goes. </div></div>

Yep - the fired cases oughtta hold a little more. Thats why I noted the case as unfired. I charged with a Satern funnel and then tapped to settle. I am interested in playing with a drop tube, but haven't yet. I load on a Dillon 650, and haven't thought of a practical way to incorporate a tube yet.

I will definitely keep y'all posted. Once I get the whole thing together and have some data/results, I will start a new thread and link to it.

I intend to fire 10-20 rounds with RE17 and H4350 in a couple weeks, with no bedding. Then the barrel will be off for melonite (if velocities look good...if not, I'll rechamber for 7-08).

I look forward to hearing your results as I am concidering the same build. Do you think that there is credability to going with the 7RSAUM and loading it down to .284 performance to reduce barrel wear?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gregch44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I look forward to hearing your results as I am concidering the same build. Do you think that there is credability to going with the 7RSAUM and loading it down to .284 performance to reduce barrel wear? </div></div>

Yes, there is merit to it, but I question the ability of most folks to truly keep the powder charges low...! Just like the folks that buy a super/turbocharger kit for their car and tell themselves they'll keep the boost down to 10psi...when the system is capable of 15!

Another consideration is good brass. I don't know much about 7rsaum brass, but I do know choices are limited. If I were gonna do a true short mag, my personal choice would be 7-300WSM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gregch44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I look forward to hearing your results as I am concidering the same build. Do you think that there is credability to going with the 7RSAUM and loading it down to .284 performance to reduce barrel wear? </div></div>

Yes, there is merit to it, but I question the ability of most folks to truly keep the powder charges low...! Just like the folks that buy a super/turbocharger kit for their car and tell themselves they'll keep the boost down to 10psi...when the system is capable of 15!

Another consideration is good brass. I don't know much about 7rsaum brass, but I do know choices are limited. If I were gonna do a true short mag, my personal choice would be 7-300WSM. </div></div>

Well put. Its hard to have the horsepower and not use it. But on the other hand... if accuracy is there and barrel wear reduced to an acceptable level, then the shorter case would have to benefit the short action receiver. Maybe even allow the 180s?

Anybody got any photos or desciption on what needs to be done to the feed ramp for better feeding and the long seating depth...???

Dimentions would be great also

I wonder if forgoing a lot of case capacity, and leaving the empty space in the 7rsaum case would complicate finding a good accurate load? Most all of my highly accurate ammo is pretty high pressure.

Glowworm: I will document my build including the modifications to get the 284 to feed. Stay tuned.

This thread was welcome as I was considering doing this same thing myself. I currently have a Model Seven chambered in 7-08. I trued the action, lapped the lugs, installed a new trigger and an HS Precision stock. I'm just not happy with the contour of the barrel. I want a #3 contour 22" barrel. I figured since I can't quite get the Velocity out of 140's that I want to so I was considering chambering the new barrel to .284

Even at the shorter lengths the .284 should give me the performance I am looking for out of the 140's and maybe even the 162 AMAX as mentioned.

Sounds like a road worth going down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 00bullitt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This thread was welcome as I was considering doing this same thing myself. I currently have a Model Seven chambered in 7-08. I trued the action, lapped the lugs, installed a new trigger and an HS Precision stock. I'm just not happy with the contour of the barrel. I want a #3 contour 22" barrel. I figured since I can't quite get the Velocity out of 140's that I want to so I was considering chambering the new barrel to .284

Even at the shorter lengths the .284 should give me the performance I am looking for out of the 140's and maybe even the 162 AMAX as mentioned.

Sounds like a road worth going down. </div></div>

Well, if it helps you any, I should have something to report back in a couple weeks. Mine will have a 26" barrel however. Stay tuned.

I thought of doing the same thing. I have s/a already and it is going to be a f-class single feed. Only problem I see is having to eject a loaded round. I would think that would eliminate the issues of the short action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rthur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought of doing the same thing. I have s/a already and it is going to be a f-class single feed. Only problem I see is having to eject a loaded round. I would think that would eliminate the issues of the short action. </div></div>

Single feeding eliminates the short action issue with 284. It's no big deal to remove the bolt to unchamber a live round.

Trouble is if you wanna feed 284 from a magazine.