• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Short Action Custom rifle and paint by Custom Gun Coatings

pizfiz

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2014
I want to share a little about my first custom rifle.

Over a year ago I started contemplating a precision rifle. I took a somewhat deep dive in learning about builders and different builds (semi/bolt). I knew all along I wanted a 308 as my first precision rifle.
The first thing I did was join this forum and get some help. One members advice and direction was invaluable. He will remain nameless on my behalf, but he is welcome to step up and receive credit. I could not have had such a streamlined process without help. Let me say he went well above and beyond and it speaks so well of Snipers Hide.

I decided to use Short Action Customs for the build and my experience with everyone there was flawless. I am a novice with a bolt gun (always had AR's) and Mark, Dan and Andrew were extremely cool dealing with my lack of knowledge. They even allowed me to visit their shop on multiple occasions (I live with an hour and a half dive). Being a lefty, there were some consideration on timelines and Mark took care of me by getting an Alpha II action for me (expedited big time). I won't go into much further detail but wanted to say how thankful I am for this forum and guys like Mark at SAC and Branden at Custom Gun Coatings. Branden BTW is incredible to work with as well. Here is the rifle:
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I saw this rifle on Custom Gun Coating's FB page - REAAAAAL NICE! Congrats. Even better that it's a lefty.

And to think you were all worried about whether it looked good. lol. Looks awesome all together, thank you for allowing me to paint your first custom precision rifle!

Branden

Congratulations, you should be very proud. It's a great looking rifle and the paint job is special. Get that bad boy to the range let us know how it shoots.

Enjoy...Sig Marine

Looks even better in person! Beautiful rifle, can't wait to see what it can do on Monday.

Quick update: got about 300 rounds down range. Added the Specwar 7.62 and shot a five shot group after a 5 round warm up to figure out any POI shift (minimal at best). This was a five shot group prone with rear bag at 100 yards. Factory 168 FGM. I am no great marksman, but wanted to share the results of this incredible SAC build.

All the best

Last edited:
I am really excited that Branden is going to be painting my new Gap 6.5 Creedmoor ! I have seen lots of his work and I think he does an awsome job. Branden, if you read this Ken spoke highly of you.

That is a nice looking rifle, and to think you weren't sure you would like a bolt gun.

That is a nice looking rifle, and to think you weren't sure you would like a bolt gun.

Well, thanks to your help, I found the "hide", Rob01 and SAC. A man is only as good as those in which he learns from.

I am really excited that Branden is going to be painting my new Gap 6.5 Creedmoor ! I have seen lots of his work and I think he does an awsome job. Branden, if you read this Ken spoke highly of you.

That's funny, Ken always gives me dirty looks and speaks disapprovingly of me when i'm around. :D

Branden