• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Short Action Customs: Precision Resizing Dies And Reloading Products

Mgordon

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2007
Wellington, Ohio
www.shortactioncustoms.com
Shooters and Reloaders, I wanted to start a thread to address questions, comments and updates regarding our new reloading products. We have always been a Precision Rifle specific shop, everything we do revolves around our core business. So, as shooters and reloaders ourselves, we have always had products or features that we wanted to see to facilitate our Precision Rifle shooting, reloading and building passion! Here is a quick breakdown of our current products, these are all original in design and execution from Short Action Customs.

• Precision Resizing Dies
  • Neck Sizing Bushings
  • "The" Seating Die
  • Modular Headspace Comparator: Standard (Long) and Short Bodies, Bullet and Headspace inserts.
  • Modified COAL brass for Hornady/Stoney Point style COAL measuring tools

Precision Resizing Dies: FOUND HERE Made from 17-4 Stainless with a brand new heat treat process with a lower friction coefficient which is superior to conventional Melonite and Salt Bath Nitride. Key features include caliber specific decapping pins, unique ER collet design which holds the decapping pin extremely concentric, optimized resizing geometry to size the base of the cartridge more and the cartridge shoulder a less than most dies. When you combine the superior surface finish of 17-4 stainless with this heat treat process, you have an extremely smooth resizing die that is stronger than most conventional resizing dies.
Sized, SAC Precision Resizing Die Section View Description.jpg

Neck Sizing Bushings: FOUND HERE, The only thing standard is the .500" x .375" outside dimensions making it compatible with any die that can use Redding neck bushings or other of a similar size. The inside geometry is brand new and gently "funnels" the neck of the brass into the die, reducing neck concentricity runout. Furthermore, our new Neck Sizing Bushings leave the neck/shoulder junction of the brass around fireformed diameters minimizing the affects of donuts inside the necks. Furthermore, this helps loaded ammunition maintain concentricity with the chamber.
Neck Sizing Bushings.jpg

"The" Seating Die: FOUND HERE, We started designing "The" Seating Die with the goal of being able to offer one die that could seat bullets in a very straight, concentric fashion on a variety of cartridges. Furthermore, we wanted to solve the seating stem geometry problem that most dies have of damaging or marking bullets. The heart of "The" Seating Die is the through bore which is incredibly straight and has an extremely consistent bore diameter. This allows the Cartridge base to be held concentric in the die, then the Cartridge Shoulder Sleeve centers and supports the cartridge shoulder while the bullet seating stem is guided down during the seating process. All aligned from the die body's center bore. With a Mitutoyo Micrometer head with .001" graduations and a Short Action Customs proprietary tool-less tension system to secure the micrometer head, "The" Seating Die seats bullets in a straighter, more concentric fashion than most dies while simultaneously having the ability to work with a large variety of cartridges. For short cartridges, use the supplied 10mm spacer ball.
2020 Sized Production Bullet Seating Die, Final.jpg

6BRA, Short Action Bullet Seating Die, Production, V2, Cropped 2020.jpg

6 CM, Short Action Bullet Seating Die, Production, V2, Cropped, 2020.jpg

Modular Headspace Comparators: FOUND HERE, The highest quality and most functional headspace and bullet ogive tools on the market. The Modular Headspace Comparator is comprised of THREE main parts. The BODY, BULLET INSERTS and HEADSPACE INSERTS. The Body clamps onto your dial calipers and it comes in two different lengths. We have a Short Body which is light and handy, works great for measuring bullets, loaded ammunition base to ogive and non-loaded brass for headspace. The Standard (Long) body is longer which is required to measure loaded ammunition for headspace, otherwise, can do everything that the Short Body can do, but in a slightly longer package.

Made from 17-4 Stainless, Bullet Inserts start at .0005" larger than bullet diameter and taper down at 3° until reaching the groove diameter for that cartridge. For example the 6.5mm Bullet Insert starts at .2645", tapers down at 3° to .256". This mirrors the actual bore extremely well. We chose 3° compared to 1.5° because of bullets sticking in the 1.5° taper. FOUND HERE

Made from 17-4 Stainless, Headspace Inserts are specific to a bullet diameter and shoulder angle. For example, the 6mm x 30° is designed to work with cartridges such as the 6BR, 6XC, 6x47 Lapua, 6mm Creedmoor and any other 6mm or smaller cartridge with a 30° shoulder angle. We try to match the chamber geometry as closely as possible. The benefit of this system is it interfaces with the cartridge brass over the length of the shoulder, just like your chamber does, not at one small contact point/diameter like current headspace comparators. FOUND HERE
SAC Headspace Comparator Assembly, Standard.jpg copy.jpg

SAC Headspace Comparator Assembly, Short.jpgCopy.jpg

Modified Cartridge COAL Brass: FOUND HERE, Modified Cartridge Case Over All Length (COAL) Brass have been modified to be used with the Hornady or Stoney Point COAL tool to measure your chambered COAL with a given bullet. Each piece of brass has the neck uniformed and reamed .001" over bullet diameter. The base of the cartridge is precision machined on our CNC for a clean and correct fit.

Each piece of brass is either brand new, or has been fired, cleaned and properly sized to match the Go Gauge for that cartridge to ensure an accurate fit in your chamber. These pieces of brass are perfectly executed to offer the most performance out of your COAL tools.

Last edited:
These sound like great designs. I did have a question—a lot of people have moved to arbor presses for seating so they can measure force (or at least better feel it). Are you going to produce an in-line version of your seating die? Should we throw away our arbor presses?

These sound like great designs. I did have a question—a lot of people have moved to arbor presses for seating so they can measure force (or at least better feel it). Are you going to produce an in-line version of your seating die? Should we throw away our arbor presses?

Great question, I have been approached with this question recently and I think it is something that we can do. I have not designed or modeled anything out, but I'm willing to explore options. So yes, I plan on working on this project shortly.

Mark

I just wished your 6GT dies were in stock 1 month ago.

I just wished your 6GT dies were in stock 1 month ago.

Us too! It has been a big project bringing all the pieces together. We have had CNC lathe problems all year long and we just replaced that machine with a new one. We are hoping to keep on top of everything since we will have equipment that is up to the task now.

I've got the modular headspace comparators for 6.5 CM and 6 CM, and they're fantastic. Machining is absolutely spot on, and I'm really happy I went with a precision product vs. the Hornady mass-market version. Just put in an order for the bullet comparators as well, can't wait to put them to use.

Keep up the great work.

Finally, a tooless comparitor. I don't really care all that much about shoulder angle versus datum measurements since it is a static comparitor but tiny hex head wrenches and set screws are a PITA when you're dealing with different cartridges or even just switching from COAL to HS.

Mark, Please offer a complete kit .22 to .30.

Finally, a tooless comparitor. I don't really care all that much about shoulder angle versus datum measurements since it is a static comparitor but tiny hex head wrenches and set screws are a PITA when you're dealing with different cartridges or even just switching from COAL to HS.

Mark, Please offer a complete kit .22 to .30.

Thank you! We do have a "Kit" FOUND HERE. Pick any 4 inserts of your choice, you also get the Standard and Short Bodies as well as the stand for them all. Add any more inserts if you need!!!

Mark.

We just updated the geometry of our "Cartridge Centering Sleeve" to allow us to make a bullet seating stem which has geometry for 6.5mm to 30 cal bullets. We now have options for 22 cal to 6.5mm bullets, and 6.5mm bullets to 30 cal bullets. They are respectively the Model 1 and Model 2. On the website, there are two variants listed (Model 1 and Model 2) which are only for the bullet seating stems. The Die body, and all parts are the same, with the exception of the bullet seating stem.
We did some testing with 6mm and 6.5mm cartridges with .004" to .005" of neck tension to see how they would do with the new seating stems. All performed perfectly, even the 6mm bullets with the Model 2 stem which is designed for the 6.5mm to 30 cal bullets.

185 Berger Juggernuat
IMG_6953.JPG

IMG_4700.JPG

109 Berger Hybrids in Model 2 Seating Stem
IMG_8270.JPG

IMG_1376.JPG

Reactions: LV Precision
Thank you! We do have a "Kit" FOUND HERE. Pick any 4 inserts of your choice, you also get the Standard and Short Bodies as well as the stand for them all. Add any more inserts if you need!!!

Mark.

I got a chance to use the comparators today. The tool-less design works great and the quality is pretty much perfect. The inserts have some gravity and feel precise.

One area I think could use improvement is offsetting the caliper slot (or thumb screw side swap strategy) so the comparator is compatible with Stoney Point CBTO tools. Currently the comparator body is centered in the calipers and causes misalignment measuring short cartridges on the SP tool.

I got a chance to use the comparators today. The tool-less design works great and the quality is pretty much perfect. The inserts have some gravity and feel precise.

One area I think could use improvement is offsetting the caliper slot (or thumb screw side swap strategy) so the comparator is compatible with Stoney Point CBTO tools. Currently the comparator body is centered in the calipers and causes misalignment measuring short cartridges on the SP tool.

Good idea, I will look into that to see what we would have to do to allow it to work!

Mark

Reactions: Cascade Hemi
Question. Currently have 2 precision rifles. Both are still factory barrels. Both will likely be getting rebarreled here in the next 1-2 years (one .223 Rem and one 6.5 creed) can I run your dies in factory chambers or do I need a barrel with a chamber cut by a specific reamer?

@Mgordon I am flush with bushings for my current calibers, but when I go to another, I'm getting all my bushings from your company. Why? Big numbers on the side. I have 20 years in product development and appreciate companies that put thought into their products that go beyond the basic function. This simple addition makes choosing the correct bushing much easier (I currently have to open the camera on my phone and zoom in). Kudos to your product development folks on that one.

Do you plan on adding more resizing dies to your offering?

I got my seating die into the press today, hopefully put it to use on some 6BR before the weekend. One thing I do like - this seating stem. There is no wobble with the bullets I tried, and only very slight wobble with one. You're also able to rotate the micrometer head so that the writing always faces you. So far, the whole package is pretty slick.

IMG-0842.JPG

Was I supposed to get an extra 10mm ball? I got one in the die and one spare in a padded bag.