• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Short action hunting caliber ?

Joko111

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2021
Maryland
I have a bighorn orgin sa that I am going to get another barrel for… it’s sitting in a manners pro hunter, I have been trying to figure out what to pick, I hunt deer for the most part and the furthest shot in my area is 600 yds but I shoot steel further, 1200 sometimes. I would like to be able to take elk out to 500 ish but I would also like to be able to find decent factory ammo, let me hear what you recommend!

What bolt head ? 1200 yards and elk ? I’d do something more than the usual 6 or 6.5cm

Reactions: Joko111
I just built a 300saum in a Big Horn Origin with a PVA barrel. I like the saum over tge 300wsm as it feeds better and makes better use of powder volume. Only down side is the brass being hard to source

Reactions: Joko111
The 260 rem has fit that exact scenario for me well. 127 LRX will expand down to 1800 fps, carries 1000lbs energy past 500yds and has been a wonderful bullet on Elk as well as deer, speed goats and pigs on near shots and those as far out as 518. Obviously its not a shoot em in the ass at 500 and they go down caliber but punching them in the lungs and the heart works well with that stout bullet.

I was thinking 300 wsm, I have an origin action so I can just switch it out, 1200 on steel, 500 on elk, 600 on deer if everything is right at the time
Merry Christmas!!

6.5 Creedmoor, and use 140 or 147gr ELD-M for hunting. They really work. ELD-X is good too, a hair less accurate but probably not enough to matter.

Thos season we put two trophy elk down in two days.
7PRC 180gr ELDM @ 50yds
6.5 Creedmoor 147gr ELDM @ 132yds

Both were double lung shots, both died fast either where he stood or a few yards away. The lungs had giant holes in them and we lost zero meat on either animal. No exit wounds and no tracking to do.

I only have the 7PRC because we have frequent shot opportunities across canyons and an 800yd shot is very plausible where we go. I was more interested in external ballistics with that decision than terminal ballistics.

I hate solids, they do a poor job of expanding and many guns are very picky about shooting them well. A buddy point blank shot a deer two seasons ago with his 300winmag, maybe a 7yd shot, and the bullet went the entire length of the animal without expanding.

Attachments

• IMG_9485.jpeg
    IMG_9485.jpeg
    666.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_6409.jpeg
    IMG_6409.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_6401.jpeg
    IMG_6401.jpeg
    795.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_6420.jpeg
    IMG_6420.jpeg
    824.1 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2034.jpeg
    IMG_2034.jpeg
    397.2 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Reactions: Milf Dots
I would vote for 7/08, 7/08ai, or 7saw. When I get around to building my next hunting rifle I’m planning on 7/08ai for your exact purposes.

I did a 6.5 prc it would do fine on deer and the occasional elk I believe, and I’ve had no issue finding factory ammo, I do reload but it is nice to have the factory ammo option

A 308 would fit your hunting needs excellent. However it will suffer more at 1200 yd steel

But a 6.5 like the PRC would fill 1200 yard steel roll better. It will also add more punch to the 6.5 for hunting

I’ve shot a ton of deer out to and beyond 600 with 6.5, 260 and 308. The 308 with 178 ELDX is my current go to. More consistent blood trails from my experience vs 143 ELDX in a 6.5 cm. Others results may vary

Reactions: TorF and xsn10s
I'm a big fan of 300wsm in general. Been a fanboy for several years and have killed several elk with it. I have also killed elk with a 6.8spc, not at the same distance mind you but still.

Factory ammo wise I'd look at the 6.5 PRC. I have killed a number of things at decent distance including elk with my 6.5 Sherman short built on a short action bighorn which is around 200fps faster I believe.

Don't over look the boring 308 also. It'll kill animals just fine but might be frustrating at 1200 on steel.

Hot 6.5’s like PRC are going to have poor barrel life and expensive ammo, I would roll with a standard 6.5 Creedmoor if it’s being used at the range.

6.5C. Get good enough with it and you won’t need a bigger caliber for elk. Anything larger will reduce practice & what you can learn during practice.

Don’t worry, leaving this place for bootcamp on Jan 30

I was more bustin Burts chops.
He is busy with work and little ones and doesnt load.

Best wishes on your boot camp journey.

I would say 6.5 creed or 260 all day.

Upsize a caliber later IF you feel the need for elk.
If you land in CO post boot and get an elk tag, hit me up.
One, we CO guys can get you on a range to check your dope every 100 yds.
Two, if you want/need more gun, we can help most likely.
And we can help you process yer critter to save you $.
Whisky, knives, and power grinder. What could go wrong? 😉

I have a nice 6x6 on my wall that dropped to a Savage .308 and 150 SST.
I would carry a 6,5 creed for elk, just know you are going to pass some shots you could take with a 300 wsm.

Reactions: Modoc
Merry Christmas!!

6.5 Creedmoor, and use 140 or 147gr ELD-M for hunting. They really work. ELD-X is good too, a hair less accurate but probably not enough to matter.

Thos season we put two trophy elk down in two days.
7PRC 180gr ELDM @ 50yds
6.5 Creedmoor 147gr ELDM @ 132yds

Both were double lung shots, both died fast either where he stood or a few yards away. The lungs had giant holes in them and we lost zero meat on either animal. No exit wounds and no tracking to do.

I only have the 7PRC because we have frequent shot opportunities across canyons and an 800yd shot is very plausible where we go. I was more interested in external ballistics with that decision than terminal ballistics.

I hate solids, they do a poor job of expanding and many guns are very picky about shooting them well. A buddy point blank shot a deer two seasons ago with his 300winmag, maybe a 7yd shot, and the bullet went the entire length of the animal without expanding.

What bullet is this that did not expand?

I have a bighorn orgin sa that I am going to get another barrel for… it’s sitting in a manners pro hunter, I have been trying to figure out what to pick, I hunt deer for the most part and the furthest shot in my area is 600 yds but I shoot steel further, 1200 sometimes. I would like to be able to take elk out to 500 ish but I would also like to be able to find decent factory ammo, let me hear what you recommend!
7 SAW... It's basically a modern "Ackley Improved" version of the 7mm-08. Alpha Munitions even makes headstamped 7 SAW brass and the sell the reamers. You shoot the Berger 175 Elite Hunters, and you will have no problem with your goals.

Nothing wrong with a regular old 7mm-08 Rem. I've been hunting with one of those since 2000. It's put down many in that sub-500 yard range. I even still hunt with one. Bought a new one last year that's more updated. It's always been one of my favorite cartridges. Also, hard to go wrong with a .260 Rem or a .25 Creed with Berger 133 Elites...Quick, flat, and extremely capable for everything from coyotes to elk (within reasonable distance).

Last edited:
Reactions: xsn10s
Unless you have an elk hunt booked, cross that off your requirements for this rifle. You can build your dream elk rifle when you book your hunt.

By that time, you’ll probably realize that your “deer rifle” is likely perfectly sufficient for elk.

65prc might work well also. I think it fits short action

I did a 6.5 prc it would do fine on deer and the occasional elk I believe, and I’ve had no issue finding factory ammo, I do reload but it is nice to have the factory ammo option

6.5 PRC would be my choice
6.5 PRC is an awesome choice. Plenty of great options for boxed ammo. If you go the handload way, the brass is readily available from Peterson, ADG and Lapua.

Here is a comparison between my former 280AI Hand-loads 20 inch barrel and factory Hornady Hunter Ammo 143eldx 24 inch barrel. As you can see it maintains 1500 ft lbs out to 700 yrds ( at 7200 ft above sea level 50° day)

I believe these are pretty modest numbers, compared to what you can get out of it handloading.

Image 131.jpeg

IMG_4139.jpeg

Last edited:
For The Win, Boomer

Nope I’m solidly in gen X, I’m just not up on all the abbreviations of phases; I use full words. I thought it might be some Ackley version of the 308 like the 7-08 SAW. As I have an Origin short action, I was interested in the responses to this thread as well.

Reactions: FredHammer
I have been hunting various species here in MT for years with various calibers. For this year I decided to streamline and have one rifles for all species. After researching and consulting with guides and seasoned hunters I landed on 7mm PRC. Not too little, not too big, just right. Shooting ELD-X for now but anticipate additional factory choices soon.

Reactions: Holliday and BurtG
6.5 PRC is an awesome choice. Plenty of great options for boxed ammo. If you go the handload way, the brass is readily available from Peterson, ADG and Lapua.

Here is a comparison between my former 280AI Hand-loads 20 inch barrel and factory Hornady Hunter Ammo 143eldx 24 inch barrel. As you can see it maintains 1500 ft lbs out to 700 yrds ( at 7200 ft above sea level 50° day)

I believe these are pretty modest numbers, compared to what you can get out of it handloading.

View attachment 8305609

View attachment 8305613
Except for that 1,000 round barrel life on the 6.5 PRC, and you can probably double that easy on the .280 AI.

The 280AI is not a short action…….
I know... I have one. I wasn't telling the OP that's what he should build, I was pointing out barrel life difference is massive between the 6.5 PRC and .280 Ackley, despite them putting down similar performance, because that's what the person I quoted used to compare.

I know... I have one. I wasn't telling the OP that's what he should build, I was pointing out barrel life difference is massive between the 6.5 PRC and .280 Ackley, despite them putting down similar performance, because that's what the person I quoted used to compare.
🤣🤣🤣 ok thanks for your input.

I absolutely love target shooting my 300 WSM. It is my most accurate round. Hard not to vote for that.

7-08 with 162-168g bullets will do what you want.

People talk about these magnums and shooting target. I guess I’m just a puss, I don’t want to put a 100 rounds down range in a day behind a magnum.

Reactions: FredHammer
I vote for the 7-08 and 308 Win. If you reload I'll lean towards the 7-08. If not then quality 308 Win ammo is easy to get. I haven't bought centerfire ammo in almost forty years. But if I had to I'd try Hornady's 168 gr ELDM Superformance.

Definitely do not try 162eldm/x loaded a little long with Staball 6.5 behind it in a 7mm08. It's not something anybody (else) should attempt.

Killing game with a rifle starts with your ability as a marksman.
Get rifle in any of the above mentioned calibers and get to know it by using it.
There is no substitute for experience.
A rifle in 300 WSM will be fine if that is what you want, as this is what you've
indicated you have in mind.
The number of bullet designs out there are practically limitless, all will kill
when correctly placed at appropriate ranges where energy is optimal.
Was it Keith who penned, "At which point of that animals' demise did the bullet fail to do it's job."

Definitely do not try 162eldm/x loaded a little long with Staball 6.5 behind it in a 7mm08. It's not something anybody (else) should attempt.
I agree... They should try seating some Berger 175 Elite Hunters as long as possible that still fits and feeds in their rifle (which will be a long jump, but will be ok), with StaBall 6.5 and CCI 200's in their 7mm-08...

Definitely don't try that at all once you realize you can push them upwards of +2,600 FPS MV creeping up on the heels of the external ballistics of a .280 AI with the same bullets... 😈

IMG_3687.jpeg

Good, factory Hornady ammo for 6.5prc is only $1.50 a round, and tons out there.

I'd either go prc, or 300wsm.

Alright, school me, I’ve hit google and searched this site and can’t find anything on a 308 FTW. What is it?
Your computer is having an ID10T error code, give the CPU a good power washing while plugged in and that should fix things.

View attachment 8305613
Well hells bells, I guess somebody forgot to tell all the elk Ive killed at ranges beyond 225 I guess. Funny that CPW says a 35lb bow is fine but you need 1500lbs energy with a rifle. LOL.

Well hells bells, I guess somebody forgot to tell all the elk Ive killed at ranges beyond 225 I guess. Funny that CPW says a 35lb bow is fine but you need 1500lbs energy with a rifle. LOL.
Yeah that was just a quick source. I probably should have picked a better one in my haste. Sadly even Wyoming Game and Fish here, is being infiltrated by a bunch of wokesters. Sad because when I started hunting here in 2012, they were nothing but awesome folks (the ones I interacted with).

On your point about arrows, you are exactly right. I’ve said this many times to people when talking about how much power is needed to drop an animal. Shot placement is more to the point.

Certainly, the topic of bullet versus arrow would be a great subject for another thread. Apologies to the OP for hijacking this one, albeit unintentionally……..