• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

short action mag feeding 6.5 SAUM with maximum FPS?

Smokerroller

Si vic pacem, Para bellum
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2013
Sheridan, WY
After reading the articles on the Nighforce ELR steel challenge from Precision Rifle Blog, (https://precisionrifleblog.com/2020...ilding-custom-rifle-for-nightforce-elr-match/) I am considering building a 6.5 SAUM to compete in the comp next year. I am not going into this with hopes for a high placement. I just want to connect with more targets than I would if I run one of my current rifles. I have a 700 SA, AX chassis, and 6.5 barrel laying around so all I would need to buy is an optic. Because this build will be from a short action, I'd like togo 6.5 SAUM but can I get the internet claimed performance when mag feeding through a short action? I see a lot of recommendations to go medium or long action to chase the lands and maximize case capacity with a 150+ grain bullet. I am not a forever tweaker of handholds so I will be jumping from mag feeding lengths, finding the accurate high node and calling it good. Also, if I'm going to mag feed maybe the 6.5 PRC would have equal performance to the SAUM? If you have any experience with the 6.5SAUM from a short action, please share!
Thank you.

I’m running 3030 FPS out of a 26” barrel with 140 hybrids. I could get more speed with rl26 but this load shoots too good to mess with. I have a 30” desert tech barrel that I’ve been playing with 130 grain hybrids and rl26. It’s at 3300 and will easily fit in a short action mag. I’m not sure what distances those matches go out to but the Saum should do good.

Reactions: Smokerroller
I’m running 3030 FPS out of a 26” barrel with 140 hybrids. I could get more speed with rl26 but this load shoots too good to mess with. I have a 30” desert tech barrel that I’ve been playing with 130 grain hybrids and rl26. It’s at 3300 and will easily fit in a short action mag. I’m not sure what distances those matches go out to but the Saum should do good.
Thank you. 2020 went out to 2100 yards.

I had 140gr running close to Bradu there, 26" barrel, and was a hammer. Could have ran hotter for sure, but 3000+ with a 140 is plenty for me. I also had a load with 135atips at 3150 in the same barrel and it was also lights out. These were all about 0.050" shorter than the mag, fed just fine. It is a little heart breaking to see so much powder capacity taken up by seating those pills so deep, so I'm going to try one of Sherman's sst's, most likely the 25sst first off and possibly a 7sst down the road.

With 2.96 mags and R26 or N565 you’ll have no issues getting all the speed you want mag fed with a 6.5 saum or6.5 SS
I was able to get 180 to just under 3K mag fed in my 7 saum with R26 at mag length.

Short action 6.5 SAUM and Berger 140 or 144 hybrids go together like peas and carrots.
Accurate mag 300WSM mag allows 2.96“ or a little more.
I prefer the 139 scenar for hunting but will be trying the 140 elite hunter.

Berger 140 hybrids with RL26 shooting 3160 out of a 24in Bartlein. Can’t speak to your gun but I’ll jam into the lands before I run out of mag length with a .120fb. Think I was touching at 2.925 if I remember right and mag length is 2.95 with the wsm mags. Considering trying a .135-.14fb on my next barrel and bumping up to the 153.5s